The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

danni_bella83
Most Italian and Greek foods are good for this type of event :cool:

Mind you I'm slightly biased, as I'm used to dining out at these types of restaurants, but yeah - you can make almost any Italian dish romantic.

Oh yeah, I was gonna add, IF doing Italian or Greek, be classy and make something other than the 'traditional' Meditteranean spaghetti or anti-pasto.

For example gnocchi's slighty more upbeat, as is risotto recipes. And don't make salad! :biggrin:

But if you can, try to find out what he likes in food first anyway, before you start preparing the meal.
Reply 21
magiccarpet
holy crap!
you guys gotta understand:
1) i dono anything, pleasespell it out 4 me
2) i have never seen meat/fish/egg in my life cos im vegetarian
3) he's chinese

Was just about to recommend a nice juicy sirloin steak with either 1-creamy peppercorn sauce, 2-rich onion gravy, or 3-stilton, buttery mashed potato and some fresh mixed veg.
Nevermind though eh!

Is he a veg too?
Reply 22
danni_bella83
Oh yeah, I was gonna add, IF doing Italian or Greek, be classy and make something other than the 'traditional' Meditteranean spaghetti or anti-pasto.

For example gnocchi's slighty more upbeat, as is risotto recipes. And don't make salad! :biggrin:

But if you can, try to find out what he likes in food first anyway, before you start preparing the meal.

this is a great idea! why not salad? do i make 3 courses? if so, what type of starter?
i asked him what he likes eating and he said anything but not cauliflower or lamb

he isnt veg. do i make meat for him and just not eat any?
Reply 23
Stuffed peppers?
Reply 24
ok maybe as a starter
Reply 25
cook gastrite.....its soo gorgeous, gastrite and mash...

all you do is take chicken (or any meat or veg like carrots) and glaze it in red wine until sticky...then deglase in soy sauce till stickier...

its absolutly gorgeous.

thats what i cook whenever it needs to be special
Reply 26
i dont want to use any wines, cos im sensitive to alchohol. would sweet soy work?
Reply 27
yup absolutly..... if both of you like sweet stuff then hunny also works (although oly tried hunny with vegetables.)
Reply 28
M-J
yup absolutly..... if both of you like sweet stuff then hunny also works (although oly tried hunny with vegetables.)

my god how many spelling mistakes were there! absolutley..
Reply 29
i have never heard of this! is it african dish? do i cook it after glazing or before? what else do i serve it with, not mash! and what starter?
Reply 30
well, i seve it with mash (only because my bf has a thing for mash).

You cook before glazing..always as a rule. I have no idea, must be a french dish as it is in larousse gastronomique (step dad is a chef). maybe south african though as that is where he was taught. Anyways, serve with anything, could be put on a bed of pasta for instance or with salad. Dependant again on your own tastes.

As for a starter, if the main course is "sweet" then you need a more savoury starter...what about stuffed (insert appropriate veg here) or maybe a consume soup.....

you dont want the starter to be heavy but often i find that the best starter needs to have a kick so maybe cream of parsnip soup or brocolli soup.

x
Reply 31
many many thanks! but i think i'll go for the italian idea.
if i just go buy some tortellini or gnoccho and just boil it up, is that ok? or am i meant to make it by hand?
Reply 32
i think your safer sticking with that, it took me 3 months t perfect my gastrite. and thats when living with a chef.

x
Reply 33
lol yea, gastrite with me more like gastroenteritis! gotta go now thanks 4 th help
Reply 34
Gnocchi and sweet chilli tomato sauce is yummy!
Reply 35
How about spinach and ricotta lasagne/ variation on this?
Reply 36
I don't know about the main course but Asparagus with a lemon butter dip is really good as a starter, and for deasert strawberries dipped in belgium chocolater yum yum. They are both easy to make and tasty. Also it leaves you time for the main course. If you want the recipies just pm me.
Reply 37
Domino's Pizza. Sorted!! lol!
Reply 38
meatballs, with Quorn mince if you want to eat too?
They seem complex, so he will be impressed, but they are so simple, just add an egg (do you eat eggs?) and some onions to a bowl of mince and make into balls, then fry. Then serve with rice, pasta, potatos, anything.
i sugest pasta!
go to your nearest shop and chose the nicest fresh pasta sauce! do it with some cheese in ciabatta bread and your sorted! for dessert a nice cake! like a gataux or cheese cake!

Latest

Trending

Trending