The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hey.. so an we talk about the exam now?? coz its like the 16th now... :s-smilie:

i put it in a spoiler box jst incase... i duno if tht helps..

Spoiler

This k business is hilarious.
The only reason I was happy with leaving 45.3 as my final answer was because of the stuff I remembered from GCSE Stats (and from playing around with the numeric integration on my graphing calculator), i.e. that ~95% of data that is normally distributed lies between 2 standard deviations of the mean (between 46 and 54 kg) and that ~99.8% of the data lies between 3 standard deviations of the mean (between 44 and 56kg)... though I realise this is only a rough check since it leaves masses right up past 56kg uncounted... but it's still enough for me to know I was in the right area.
You didn't notice that huge 33 page thread above?
so what was the answer:confused:
yh i got like 45.36 or something like that but a few of my mates got something like 48... so im not sure... did you use 2.32 anywhere in your method??
yep but i made the obvious mistake of not reading the question so i got like 54.xxxx
but i did use that 2.xx value. in the formula book it gave the correct version to 4 decimal places when you were looking up what gives u 0.01
i think ive lost like 2 marks for that mistake :mad:
in the mark scheme they probably have like a certain range from like 45.3 - 45.5 and that would probably get you the last answer mark... im thinking (and hoping - fingers crossed)
i got really confused using the correct version and it started to give me a headache actually.. so i just used it from the normal tables lol
yep.....but i no i got it wrong oh so mad...the jan 2008 paper was so much easier
i think i messed that up
looking back ive lost 10 marks
essence_of_rose
in the mark scheme they probably have like a certain range from like 45.3 - 45.5 and that would probably get you the last answer mark... im thinking (and hoping - fingers crossed)

Yeah thats what I'm hoping too
essence_of_rose
i got really confused using the correct version and it started to give me a headache actually.. so i just used it from the normal tables lol

lol on the RHS of the page it gave u the like correct things...but ull only loose 1 mark max i am sure
er... noo lol.. 33 pages?? woah.. all i did was type in the search box for 's1 2008 may'.... and i found this thread.. im gona try n find that 33 page thread
RandomLiverpool
yep but i made the obvious mistake of not reading the question so i got like 54.xxxx
but i did use that 2.xx value. in the formula book it gave the correct version to 4 decimal places when you were looking up what gives u 0.01
i think ive lost like 2 marks for that mistake :mad:

I did this but realised that as 99% weighed more, it must be below the mean, so i did (50(mean)- (54.xxxx-50 (mean)) to get the value which 99.9% exceeded, since its a normal distribution, left side of mean=right side.

Also i forgot about the three combinations for the last part :frown: I got the 4.16x10^-3 or whatever though so should get a few marks for that :smile: It is definately x3 not ^3 by the way.
oh btw what was the question about the 'explanotory value/variable' ive never like come across that in my revision... but i just put down the pitch (v).. but i had no idea :s
Strange, because you posted in there several minutes ago :p:
Explanatory variable (another way of writing independent variable) was T. Temperature was the variable you changed. Pitch was what you measured (dependent variable)
ohhhhhhh.... damn it!!! lol
Explanatory is the one controlled by man. Dependant is the one that man is measuring. you just had to know that really to answer that question, and i did as i saw it in a text book in my revision, although i always used different names for them.
also... i didn't understand Q.7 c) i did something like... 2(0.0668 x 0.9332) = 0.125

at first i just thought it was 1 but then i knew that couldn't be right so i just times some numbers together that i thought that would be relevant

Latest

Trending

Trending