The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I've never had any real problems with public transport, except for train delays and that's seldom too.. so I'm not a Londoner who's complaining :p:.
It's suitably prolific, but the price, reliability and quality of service is fairly poor.
Reply 42
StarsAreFixed
I was amazed, first by the actual standard of it, second by the amount of people in the free newspapers complaining about how bad it is.

Does it not serve outlying areas well enough? Was it fine but now because of the expanding population it can't cope? I just don't get it, it seems sort of ungrateful to complain about it, and yes I have been on other European cities public transport. Granted London taxis are an absolute rip-off, but that's about it. I want to know what there is to complain about it! Coming from a capital city with an absolute joke of a transport system and no underground..I was completely blown away by the awesomeness of the tube. And it was really frequent at all times of the day, even the heathrow service! So jealous. And the busses seemed pretty frequent too...

when your on the train and it stopps for half an hour without any word of what is going on youll understant or when the lines are closed and you cant get where you need to be on time. But yes it is of high standard when it its working
Reply 43
Well, I've been to Toronto and in the outskirts the transport is absolute crap! It took us 4 hours to get from one shopping mall to the place where we were staying, yet when our relatives took us the journey was a "mere" 30 minutes

London's tarnsport is not too bad, fairly reliable but too many delays especially on inner-city services (esp. the underground)

But yeah, I saw Top Gear on Sunday and was amazed by the whole concept of "late" being over a minute. That's what I call public transport :biggrin:
Reply 44
Oh, you live in Dublin!

The transport system in Dublin is insane. The roads are scary too, those bus drivers are insane!
From my experience only Londoners moan about London transport.

I used to be exactly the same until we moved to Essex, and, well...let's just say you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.
I've been a londoner all my life and i love our transport system, i hardly ever have problems with cancellations and a train comes every 3-4 minutes! I've never understood all these complaints...
Reply 47
London Underground is AMAZING!!!

I really love it, allows me to get where i want easily. Buses are awesome too, without them i wouldnt be able to reach my college (woodhouse) and they're free as well!!!

The other day me and a few friends met up at kings cross and then travelled to Upminster (which is pretty much essex) Then we went paintballing (36 ppl deep) lol i love london
London Transport does a good job of moving some 8 -10 million people a day. Considering the size of your metropolitan area and the age of parts of the system (the tube), London Transport is doing the best it can. More investment would be nice, though. London Transport is really very safe as well.
I love the tube. Yes it's a bit dirty, yes it's smelly, yes you either get touched up by creepy men or end up near a sweaty armpit during rush hour, yes they're often late, yes in the evening it's full of drunks and yes you occasionally get stuck due to signal failures. But we're Londoners. We love to complain!

I love the announcers. I was once on the train home and there was an announcement saying "This train is terminating at Harrow on the Hill"
5 minutes later "This train is now an Uxbridge train. All stops to Uxbridge"
5 minutes after that "Oh great. I've now just been told that this is not an Uxbridge train, it's a Watford train. Don't mind me, I'm just the driver. Who needs to tell me anything?" and he then went on to moan the whole way about how he's never told anything, they didn't even tell him about the christmas party :laugh: I got off before the end of the line but I reckon he moaned right until the end!

My local buses aren't too bad either. They used to be terrible but now they generally run to time and they're never crowded.
Reply 50
generally i would say its not bad....but some ****** of a bus driver made me pay for a ticket (£2) after i had swipped my oyster card (like 90p or something) and i know the money definately went off my oyster card..and he must have to...but its not even that he was just soo rude and aggressive immediately i actually felt quite intimidated and upset!

^^ yeah know what you mean about the metropolitan line...totally confuses me...when u get on..they say one thing...next station the train is going somewhere else...the next stop...nope its something else again!!!
personally I really do think its ALL TOO BAD

I thought it was till I went to other places.. I mean some places have to wait every hour for a bus :rolleyes:

edit: don't!
Reply 52
London transport is pretty good. Although I recon once I move out of london i'll appreciate it more. I really dont like the tube and avoid it at all costs. I'm claustrophobic and theres something about being underground in a full tube that really makes me panic. The buses are great though and you can get anywhere in central london by bus really easily. And its so much nicer to see where you are going and discovering new places. They are always quite regular, especially the buses I get because 3 of them go to where I travel to most, so I never have to wait more than 5mins. I think its really good and dont think people should moan about it as much as they do. For what it does and for how many people use it I think its great. People moan that buses are slow or late, but no city is going to be light on traffic and I think they do a great job considering.
Reply 53
In comparison to the rest of the UK the London public transport system is pretty good! However there have been so many times where I've delayed by a long long period of time due to signal failures and eventually it gets to your head!

I like to travel and have used the public transport in loads of different countries so generally I moan when I compare to other major cities. I loved the system in Japan; the trains were air conditioned, pretty much on time (it used to be a must that the trains had to be on time and this lead to a driver panicking, speeding up the train and causing it to derail so they ended up relaxing this a wee bit!) and incredibly clean. The same goes for Singapore and Hong Kong which had awesome trains; the whole train is one carriage so the trains feel huge.

Having said this I know that it's impossible for the Tube to ever compare to Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore. These countries have much much newer train systems and in order to implement something similar the network here would have to completely shut down for a long period of time to completely upgrade all the trains and tracks which are incredibly old now! Maybe in 20 or so years we'll be up to the level that they have in the Far East but for now we do have a pretty decent train system!

Buses are annoying. I can't ever seem to get a bus in the day time let alone the night time! The system, however, is still better than some other countries I've been in. I remember waiting at a bus stop in Amsterdam at about 1am in the morning. The night bus we were meant to catch was supposedly every half an hour but by 2:30am we'd kinda given up waiting so we ended up just walking to where we were staying. I've never had that long a wait here heh.
Interesting. When I was there, I used the District line mostly, but also Piccadilly line, eh the brown line..Lambeth? And another one that went through Earl's Court. There was delays on the district line one of the days, it just stopped every so often, but we were told why. Later on it was announced that a passenger had taken ill on X line. I found that when it messed up, you were told about it. And they had noticeboards saying 'a good service operating on all lines out of Station X today'..that's so nice.

Dublin will never get an underground, it's too late to start digging up the streets now. There IS a tram line, the luas but there's only too lines and they don't go anywhere near me. There is a DART line, which runs on electricity, but it suffers from signal failures daily, iut's very frequent though, but only serves the coast. I have 2 options, a bus where the frequency ranges from 10-50 minutes, and a train which unfortunately runs on what is affectionately known as the Calcutta line. I can't get the peak ones, because I faint. The busses are fine, until there's traffic and then most of them turn around and go home instead of actually serving the route >_< The trains are supposed to have 8 carriages but few of them do, due to 'vandalism' or sometimes you're not told at all..
Reply 55
Yes. Paris has a much better underground system than London does; delays are rare and the fares are so much cheaper. I am used to the tubes here having travelled on them for 8 years. But, it still annoys me that it's rare for a day to go by without some delay on a major underground line occuring. And fares are extortionate.
Reply 56
It's AWFUL! I live in SE London when I'm home and they've managed to extend all tube lines to avoid anywhere past lewisham/new cross, and redirect them south to go to the richer boroughs. It's way overpriced and if you don't have the right money on your oyster when you start your journey it won't cap, and chances are when you need to get a bus somewhere no where will be open to top it up

Oh and delays!! it's supposedibly 24 minutes to get from euston sq to northwick park for uni, and there were days it would take near 45 minutes

and once i went from my boyfriends to uni and it took 2 hours, because i was stuck inbetween baker street and finchley rd for an hour!

For what it is it should be more efficient. All my friends from other parts of the country know how to drive, here there's no point because insurance is painful, parking permits for our homes! congestion charge, and bad traffic in general
Reply 57
StarsAreFixed
Interesting. When I was there, I used the District line mostly, but also Piccadilly line, eh the brown line..Lambeth? And another one that went through Earl's Court. There was delays on the district line one of the days, it just stopped every so often, but we were told why. Later on it was announced that a passenger had taken ill on X line. I found that when it messed up, you were told about it. And they had noticeboards saying 'a good service operating on all lines out of Station X today'..that's so nice.

They have to announce now so we don't all panic and think there's terrorists. It's between "a passenger taken ill on a train" "a person under the train" and "security alert at..."

and those boards are full of lies. The announcements that you hear are the complete opposite
lazza
It's AWFUL! I live in SE London when I'm home and they've managed to extend all tube lines to avoid anywhere past lewisham/new cross, and redirect them south to go to the richer boroughs. It's way overpriced and if you don't have the right money on your oyster when you start your journey it won't cap, and chances are when you need to get a bus somewhere no where will be open to top it up
l

I totally agree! SE london here as well and yes, its very annoying not having a tube here for the aforesaid reasons.

Its annoying knowing people who live quite far outside North London yet have a tube line, as aposed to me who lives so much closer and has to get a train that takes long time... Only have to stand at Charing X or Victoria and watch the amount of people who empty out the waiting area when a SE train pulls in :mad:

Edit: part from that, the only thing that I really really dont like is the price.
Fillette
Yes. Paris has a much better underground system than London does; delays are rare and the fares are so much cheaper. I am used to the tubes here having travelled on them for 8 years. But, it still annoys me that it's rare for a day to go by without some delay on a major underground line occuring. And fares are extortionate.

as far as i'm aware the London Underground is much much bigger. more lines, more stops, more people etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending