The Student Room Group

Do you go out with family?

Inspired by the other spending time with family thread.

Ok so we're all at an age where its just not cool to go out with family. Do you do it then? Like to the cinemas, days out, out for dinner etc.

I acutally don't mind spending time out with family sometimes (away from home town lol) but often don't coz I care too much about what people think and incase I am seen.

Like if someone asks you "what you been up to?" and you say "i went out with family" they must think youre a right saddo lol.

The only person I don't care being seen out with is mummy:smile:

What about you guys? Do you spend time with family not just at home?By family i also mean cousins and aunts and uncles and that.

Scroll to see replies

yeah whenever Im with them I know i wont have much time with them so we usually go out for lunch/shopping/dinner/beach whatever..

though I very little extended family, there is 4 of us at most.
Reply 2
I personally couldnt give a **** about how cool it is to be seen outside the house with a member of family.

So yup, i do.
Reply 3
ive been to a gig with my dad and sister.
don't mind being seen with my family at all.
don't care what other people think at all. doesn't cross my mind anymore.
Reply 4
I do it all the time. Me and my family are very close though, we go out together about 2 or 3 times a week even if it's just to a cafe or to the pics. I think everyone should.
Reply 5
Yeah, occasionally. I think it's important to spend some (lol) quality time with family.

If you run into a mate while you're outdoors with family just act like you don't know them lol. (that's a lame joke)

mdr

don't care what other people think at all. doesn't cross my mind anymore.

:ditto:

After a certain age, you don't give a crap.
Reply 6
i go if theyre going somewhere i want to. its less so now than it used to be
We never never particularly went out 'as a family' even when i was younger. I think we did up until i was about 5, then my mum gave up trying to convince my dad.

We very rarely do go out somewhere. It can be fairly uncomfortable, but not for the normal reasons i suppose.
A lot, cinema; not so much, dinner; god yes and days out; usually only one of them at any time but yeah love it :-)
Since you mentioned it :O
I'm going out with them along with my sister tomoro morning to 'drink tea'.

But normally its rare, especially cinema's since they have a language barrier. =x The las ttime I remmeber going to cinema with them is over 5 years ago.
I go out and get pizza every weekend pretty much with my dad and sister. And I go food shopping with my mum whenever she needs me. No big deal at all.
I do go out with them, but we don't do it as often as we used to.
Reply 12
I go out with my family all the time; we just went out for dinner tonight! I'll go shopping on occasion with my family however I try to limit the amount I go out shopping with my dad as he gets incredibly impatient and becomes very rude to any sales person that tries to help. So in that aspect I try to limit how much I go out with family if my dad's coming but otherwise I love going out with family...it's quite fun and we do have a laugh at times!
Yeah i do, but i don't really mind too much. From appearances only my family look quite respectable, so im not embaressed or anything! I have to admit though, i normally only go because i wont have to pay for anything, not because i want to spend time with them, aha that sounds awful!
Not much really, for the odd dinner but that's only for a birthday or other special occasion. Then rarely we may go for a day out somewhere.
Reply 15
your profile says you're 18?
...I would have guessed you were around 12-14. That's when I was embarassed to go out with my family.

As a family, we mostly just go out for meals, but we also have a couple of day trips every now and again. We used to go to the theme parks quite a lot, and now me and my mum will go to the theatre, or I'll go shopping with one of my parents etc.

To be embarassed to be seen with your cousin is ridiculous. Most of the time they're be the same age as you, so you're more likely to just be friends. But even if they're not, it doesnt make a difference.

Your family are your family, and unless you have a genuine reason not to be, you should be happy to spend some time with them every now and again. I could understand not wanting to go out with them on a fri/sat evening, but what could possibly be the problem with spending a bit of time with them every now and again?
Reply 16
Yeah, quite alot. Me and mum go shopping together, actually we went yesterday! It doenst bother me now, Ive reached an age where its just nice to go out and spend time with them seeing as around half the year Im not at home.
Reply 17
I do and don't mind at all. I admit that when I was younger I found it a little awkward running into someone I knew in town if I was with my family, but now I honestly couldn't care less, and they don't mind if I moan about being tired after a long day of shopping lol.
Yeah all the time. I can give my mum hugs in public! =]

I'm not embarrassed to be seen with them, and my friends are the same so it's never been an issue for me.
As there is just me and my mum we always do the food shopping together and if I can drag her into clothes shops and game shops that's just cool, especially when I have forgotten to take my own bank card!

We went to the cnema together last week and we are planning to have a picnic on the beach if it ever stops raining long enough! We sometimes go to the Metrocentre together as well.

I just noticed that you include extended family as well. One of my cousins comes with me when I walk the dog. She phoned tonight to see if I fancied going to the cinema but I was at work. Mum says she tried to hint that I would go with her if she changed it to tomorrow night when I'm not working! My other cousins also go out sometimes with me but as they are now living in Newcastle it is a bit more difficult to make arrangements.

Latest

Trending

Trending