The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Boo_2
Glasses are what you make them. I've worn glasses since I was 4 years old and contacts (not all the time - a mixture of glasses and lenses) since I was 11. So I can't really remember what it felt like the first time I put them on :p:

My eyes are pretty damn terrible so I have to wear either contacts or glasses all the time apart from when I'm sleeping, and over the years I've had lots of different styles, from Harry Potter style glasses to turtle shell oval frames to the style I have now, which is by far my favourite - they're framed only at the top and kinda square shaped (I will try and find a pic). My advice to anyone who is worried about looking geeky is: if you spend time and effort searching for a perfect pair of glasses, they can look pretty cool and sexy - my boyfriend says he finds my glasses incredibly hot when I'm wearing them because they make me look like some kind of sexy seceretary, lol... And with my glasses now, a lot of people say they don't even notice I'm wearing them at first because they are so 'light' and don't stand out against the rest of my face. Since I was about 7 I started hating wearing glasses, thinking they made me look ugly, so when I was 11 I started wearing contacts and wore them every single day, 12 hours a day and this really took its toll on my eyes.. I do not recommend using contact lenses this much, my eyes hurt all the time and I got quite a lot of sties (painful spots around the eye).. So for the first time, I spent quite a lot of money (over £100, can't remember the exact amount and also my eyes are so bad I get quite a lot of discount through NHS vouchers) on my new pair that I spent ages choosing, and now - unless I'm going clubbing or really want to look especially pretty - I'm 100% happy to wear my glasses anywhere - be it to sixth form, to my boyfriends house and just in public in general, which is something I would never EVER even consider from when I was 11-17 and wearing contacts all the time due to having pretty crap glasses..

Hope that was helpful - in short - don't be afraid to splurge on a nice paid of specs, you can even get some really cool Dior and other designer glasses which some of my friends have and they look cool. It will be worth spending the extra money if it means you feel like you look good!! Glasses can definitely be sexy!!! :smile:

ETA: Just found this pic of me with my new glasses which I love, its an old pic and I'm not looking particularly hot (lol) but you can at least see what I mean about them being 'light' rather than ;heavy'. :smile:

you're boyfriend is right, you look damn hot wearing those glasses! lucky bastard lol
Boo_2
Glasses are what you make them. I've worn glasses since I was 4 years old and contacts (not all the time - a mixture of glasses and lenses) since I was 11. So I can't really remember what it felt like the first time I put them on :p:

My eyes are pretty damn terrible so I have to wear either contacts or glasses all the time apart from when I'm sleeping, and over the years I've had lots of different styles, from Harry Potter style glasses to turtle shell oval frames to the style I have now, which is by far my favourite - they're framed only at the top and kinda square shaped (I will try and find a pic). My advice to anyone who is worried about looking geeky is: if you spend time and effort searching for a perfect pair of glasses, they can look pretty cool and sexy - my boyfriend says he finds my glasses incredibly hot when I'm wearing them because they make me look like some kind of sexy seceretary, lol... And with my glasses now, a lot of people say they don't even notice I'm wearing them at first because they are so 'light' and don't stand out against the rest of my face. Since I was about 7 I started hating wearing glasses, thinking they made me look ugly, so when I was 11 I started wearing contacts and wore them every single day, 12 hours a day and this really took its toll on my eyes.. I do not recommend using contact lenses this much, my eyes hurt all the time and I got quite a lot of sties (painful spots around the eye).. So for the first time, I spent quite a lot of money (over £100, can't remember the exact amount and also my eyes are so bad I get quite a lot of discount through NHS vouchers) on my new pair that I spent ages choosing, and now - unless I'm going clubbing or really want to look especially pretty - I'm 100% happy to wear my glasses anywhere - be it to sixth form, to my boyfriends house and just in public in general, which is something I would never EVER even consider from when I was 11-17 and wearing contacts all the time due to having pretty crap glasses..

Hope that was helpful - in short - don't be afraid to splurge on a nice paid of specs, you can even get some really cool Dior and other designer glasses which some of my friends have and they look cool. It will be worth spending the extra money if it means you feel like you look good!! Glasses can definitely be sexy!!! :smile:

ETA: Just found this pic of me with my new glasses which I love, its an old pic and I'm not looking particularly hot (lol) but you can at least see what I mean about them being 'light' rather than ;heavy'. :smile:

oh yeah, forgot to mention before, you mentioned spending £100+, I agree totally. Glasses are one of those things where it really is worth spending a bit more to get the right thing/what you really want. You get what you pay for with glasses definately.
Yes they are cool, but not on me.
Boo_2

VERY cool & chic. :smile:
Reply 44
dancingshoes10
As long as you get the right style and shape to suit your face I think they look really hot.

Words of wisdom :smile:

I started wearing mine earlier this year, and everything I saw through them was really neat (which is awesome), as if I discovered 3D or something :p: ; plus, it makes me look more smart, which I quite like, and they're really cool to hide eye bags.
I personally don't think glasses suit my face too well, so I always wear contacts.
Reply 46
That girl in glasses a few posts above is hot with them. :cool:

Hot girls with glasses are a rarity in reality. Most I see outside aren't too good looking although there are exceptions. I would love one :biggrin:
Reply 47
Well to round off the thread. I got my glasses last friday, and tbh i HATED wearing them. But the benefits are great. No more eye strain and headaches at work. Crisp eye sight.

I went with peoples advice on here and got designer ones. I got some Osiris ones. Like Gok Wongs lol but not as chunky.

The deal was buy one get one free so i got a slick dark silver pair for work and a funky slim black and white ones.

Both are half frames, as a new glasses wearer they dont stand out as much.

Its now wednesday and i am really comfy in them, as i only need them for computer and tv. But i was nervous about what people would say at work, but they all say they suit me and how smart i look.

My tips on people about to buy new glasses for the first time.....

If your a VDU user at work, ask your work if they do the eye care vouchers. i got £55 off my glasses.

Look for special offers on glasses, BOGOF on a lot of frames right now in certain opticians.

I would highly recommend designer ones, because of the way they feel. They are lighter and more funkier.

I would post a pic but dont know how lol

Thanks for all ya advice =)
Reply 48
I quite like wearing my glasses. I used to hate them but I've started using them as a more fashionable thing in the past few years. I think it depends on the person and their face shape and the frames they choose. I know people who have quite horrible frames and for them glasses just do not suit them if they're going out. I'm the opposite...I think contacts are really not my thing. Glasses hide the huge bags under my eyes from the amount of coffee I drink!
Reply 49

Default Glasses - cool or not?

I have many questions........

I had a eye test yesterday and they told me i have to wear glasses for such activities as when on the computer (as i get headaches after being on too long) to protect my eyes and when driving.

I have never worn glasses ever, and a little anxious to what i will look like lol

I hate my glasses, been wearing glasses for about 10 years!
My eyes have gotten worser and my glasses lens are getting thicker :frown:

they shape your nose wierdly if you wear thema ll the time (you don't have to wrry about that since you'll wear them periodicaly)

Plus glasses make my face look rounder and make me look younger and imo I feel less attractive. some guys can pull them off very well and look very good and some girls suit them too.

either get some emo-ish glasses (kind of a fad) or the kind of frameless ones so you can barely see them.
Reply 50
I've got to the stage where i think i look strange without my glasses
Reply 51
I love guys who wear glasses as long as they are stylish ones (no need to be designer) worn with confidence and stylee =]
Reply 52
I think they can make people look better if they choose the right style.
Reply 53
I actually have a thing for guys who wear glasses!

*Thinks David Tennant* :redface:
Reply 54
I have to use mine when concentrating and i hate wearing them

Are they meant to make it more difficult for you to see???
Reply 55
Glasses can be cool :biggrin:

mine aren't but that's because my lenses are so thick they make my eyes look really small.
Reply 56
I grew up wearing them and soon grew to hate them as, combined with my intelligence, they led to me being labelled a geek and being bullied when I was younger. I got contacts which helped with my confidence and I'd never go back to glasses now. I was amused, though, how they became part of "geek chic" soon thereafter.
Reply 57
Glasses can be really good if they suit you :smile:
A friend of mine is desperate to have glasses, he hates having decent eyes :redface:

Mine however aren't quite so good so off to Specsavers tomorrow!

Latest

Trending

Trending