The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7680
Btw those getting laptops - DON'T pay for Microsoft Office / Word / Etc! Get OpenOffice instead, which is almost identical (just subtly better in places, but designed to be basically the same so it seems familiar to use) and can save in normal Microsoft formats so you can open documents on other computers as usual. There's versions for Windows / Mac / Linux. And it's free.
Tom
Btw those getting laptops - DON'T pay for Microsoft Office / Word / Etc! Get OpenOffice instead, which is almost identical (just subtly better in places, but designed to be basically the same so it seems familiar to use) and can save in normal Microsoft formats so you can open documents on other computers as usual. There's versions for Windows / Mac / Linux. And it's free.

I tried to use OpenOffice.org a while back (and I still use Writer instead of Word) but Calc didn't have the necessary functions for A-level Physics, so I seriously doubt that it will be sufficient for the Quantitative Methods module. :no:
Scipio90
Is "new freshers" not a tautology?

it depends if fresh has to be new...?
Reply 7683
alex_hk90
I tried to use OpenOffice.org a while back (and I still use Writer instead of Word) but Calc didn't have the necessary functions for A-level Physics, so I seriously doubt that it will be sufficient for the Quantitative Methods module. :no:

I haven't used it much, but I've never found it lacking. What functions doesn't it have?
i feel like i should leave the thread, considering i m not technically a fresher (as of yet)
Reply 7685
alex_hk90

That's a point actually :frown: Writer is better than Word, but Calc's definitely not as good as Excel. And the less said about their drawing program the better :s-smilie:
Reply 7686
emilY?
Fabulously fantastic freshers?
Fantastically fabulous freshers?

My powers of alliteration stop there...

Or fantabulous freshers... the power of pure portmanteau [alliteration is infectious... or should i say... consonance is contagious...] hahahaha :no:
Scipio90
I haven't used it much, but I've never found it lacking. What functions doesn't it have?

Unlike Excel, Calc doesn't have an option to display the equation or "R squared value" (whatever that is) of a graph that you've plotted.
Reply 7688
KMT-CCP.GuoMinGongchan
i feel like i should leave the thread, considering i m not technically a fresher (as of yet)

Well, technically nobody's a fresher yet, seeing as none of you lot have matriculated. But I don't think anyone's worrying too much about technicalities. :wink:
Reply 7689
Have you tried GNUplot for graphs? I used it for my physics coursework, and although it wasn't perfect, and was a bit fiddly, I found it better than excel.
Scipio90
Have you tried GNUplot for graphs? I used it for my physics coursework, and although it wasn't perfect, and was a bit fiddly, I found it better than excel.

I haven't no, but all the CDs with the QM textbooks I've seen are designed for Excel.
n1r4v
Or fantabulous freshers... the power of pure portmanteau [alliteration is infectious... or should i say... consonance is contagious...] hahahaha :no:

aaaaahhhhhhhhhh. This is rather amusing, but i swear all this alliteration is making my head spin. However, i could be confusing the effects with those of extended hangover:o:

Hum, the more alliteration the better. But i do adore the word fantabulous:yep:
Reply 7692
n1r4v

I did consider fantabulous actually - then I thought since my firefox spell checker was underlining it - y'know, it being your good old portmanteau - that perhaps it wasn't allowed as Cambridgey(!) clevery(!) people thread title. However, you have cleverly overridden that by applying the nice intellegent "I-know-it-even-though-its-not-even-my-language... take that knobules" sounding word "portmanteau" :yep:

I take my hat off to thee :smile:

Despite "consonance is contagious" - which I will let you off for :biggrin:

(Sorry, I've been drinking wine and watching comedy...)
emilY?
I did consider fantabulous actually - then I thought since my firefox spell checker was underlining it - y'know, it being your good old portmanteau - that perhaps it wasn't allowed as Cambridgey(!) clevery(!) people thread title. However, you have cleverly overridden that by applying the nice intellegent "I-know-it-even-though-its-not-even-my-language... take that knobules" sounding word "portmanteau"

I take my hat off to thee

Despite "consonance is contagious" - which I will let you off for

i wish everyone would stop using long words

on the nerd scale, this pwns the computer talk a page back
Eyes Wide Shut
I got an HP a few days ago, but still have to set it up.

Duuuude, I've got the same beast of a machine kicking back in my room right now. From the U.S on a Best Buy deal, so it was less than £300 even, with the whole - now you've bought the laptop, we've just got to get you on Microsoft office, Norton Antivirus, UK adaptor..... Needless to say at that price, on leaving the store, I still felt as if Irobbed them.
Reply 7695
emilY?
I did consider fantabulous actually - then I thought since my firefox spell checker was underlining it - y'know, it being your good old portmanteau - that perhaps it wasn't allowed as Cambridgey(!) clevery(!) people thread title. However, you have cleverly overridden that by applying the nice intellegent "I-know-it-even-though-its-not-even-my-language... take that knobules" sounding word "portmanteau" :yep:

I take my hat off to thee :smile:

Despite "consonance is contagious" - which I will let you off for :biggrin:

(Sorry, I've been drinking wine and watching comedy...)

um thanks lol :smile:

though I do kinda deserve to get an e-beating for that phrase

KMT-CCP.GuoMinGongchan
i wish everyone would stop using long words

on the nerd scale, this pwns the computer talk a page back

try sesquipedalianism lol...
TheEnergizerRabbit
Duuuude, I've got the same beast of a machine kicking back in my room right now. From the U.S on a Best Buy deal, so it was less than £300 even, with the whole - now you've bought the laptop, we've just got to get you on Microsoft office, Norton Antivirus, UK adaptor..... Needless to say at that price, on leaving the store, I still felt as if Irobbed them.

:yep: I've just finished installing Office 2007 and McAfee.. I already have the adaptor, we use the same kind of plugs in Cyprus (ex-colony and all that stuff..)
Reply 7697
n1r4v
um thanks lol :smile:

though I do kinda deserve to get an e-beating for that phrase

e-beating - now thats nerdy :p: :p:
Reply 7698
Tom
That's a point actually :frown: Writer is better than Word, but Calc's definitely not as good as Excel. And the less said about their drawing program the better :s-smilie:

Out of interest what do you not like about Draw - to me its one of the strong points of OO.org especially as it doesn't really have any direct equivalent in MS Office.

On the subject of office software last year Microsoft ran the 'Ultimate Steal' promotion about this time last year which let students purchase a copy of Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate for £39 - might run again this year and even if not Software4Students offer Office 2007 (standard) and Office 2008 for Macs for ~£35 - though if its authenticated the same way as for the Ultimate Steal a .ac.uk email address may be needed.

Matt
sorry for steering off topic, but do any of you plan on getting a dinner jacket before uni starts? i'm not sure if i'll have an opportunity to use one in the first term. i'll be going to jesus, btw.

Latest

Trending

Trending