The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

-Matt-
Out of interest what do you not like about Draw - to me its one of the strong points of OO.org especially as it doesn't really have any direct equivalent in MS Office.

On the subject of office software last year Microsoft ran the 'Ultimate Steal' promotion about this time last year which let students purchase a copy of Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate for £39 - might run again this year and even if not Software4Students offer Office 2007 (standard) and Office 2008 for Macs for ~£35 - though if its authenticated the same way as for the Ultimate Steal a .ac.uk email address may be needed.

Matt

Yeah I agree. Mind you, I don't think that OO has any real weak points... It's a lot more practical than MO...and completely free (insist on "free" :yep: )

Talking about the ac.uk address, I can't wait to join the Cambridge network!!
Reply 7701
thegluups
Yeah I agree. Mind you, I don't think that OO has any real weak points... It's a lot more practical than MO...and completely free (insist on "free" :yep: )

*hides proprietary drivers* :tongue:
Reply 7702
freshfood
sorry for steering off topic, but do any of you plan on getting a dinner jacket before uni starts? i'm not sure if i'll have an opportunity to use one in the first term. i'll be going to jesus, btw.

I bought a dinner suit for my 6th form leaver's ball which I plan on bringing up to Cambridge with me. I think it works out better to buy one because you'll be using it a couple of times a year (for soc balls and stuff), that's the impression I've got atleast and you can get them for about the same price as a nice new normal suit.
Rudrax
I bought a dinner suit for my 6th form leaver's ball which I plan on bringing up to Cambridge with me. I think it works out better to buy one because you'll be using it a couple of times a year (for soc balls and stuff), that's the impression I've got atleast and you can get them for about the same price as a nice new normal suit.

i don't know, i definitely need something formal ish (considering i went to all my interviews in jeans and a shirt) but i don't want to go with the generic dinner jacket or evening suit etc. I want something special, maybe i ll get like a mao suit or like a nehru jacket.
KMT-CCP.GuoMinGongchan
i don't know, i definitely need something formal ish (considering i went to all my interviews in jeans and a shirt) but i don't want to go with the generic dinner jacket or evening suit etc. I want something special, maybe i ll get like a mao suit or like a nehru jacket.

I wonder... how many people would spot that what you're wearing is a Mao suit... You could carry out a test... (dammit, nerdiness surge now...)
I didn't realise there was such a thing as a "Mao Suit" :no:
The West Wing
I didn't realise there was such a thing as a "Mao Suit"

its a suit, that wasn't designed by mao, or for mao, it wasn't even first worn by mao, and its not called the mao suit in chinese, its named after its propa namesake, Dr Sun Yat-Sen (sun zhongshan). Its basically the formal 'uniform' of the chinese politicians for most of the 20th centuary

thegluups
I wonder... how many people would spot that what you're wearing is a Mao suit... You could carry out a test... (dammit, nerdiness surge now...)

i reckon i could get some funny looks, i was going to wear one to my prom, but decided against it
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay I have my gown and college scarf :woo: I went to Cam today to get them because I'm sad. Has anyone else got theirs yet? Or have any Caians got their room numbers? Apparently I've been allocated one :smile: Hope everyone's having a good day - sorry I'm so excited! :biggrin:
Reply 7708
In the itinerary for freshers' week at Trinity there is a gown sale, so I guess I'll buy mine then. What are they like? I haven't got a clue. And do they come in different sizes, because I'm a complete midget!
Sorry for all the questions, I'm a bit excited too! :biggrin:
Reply 7709
KMT-CCP.GuoMinGongchan

I think a nehru suit would look really good and that has nothing to do with me being Indian lol.
Rudrax
I think a nehru suit would look really good and that has nothing to do with me being Indian lol.

No link at all... I'm sure...:rolleyes:

I'm wondering though... would they actually accept it? On the website, it seemed quite formal.. white blouse + suit/skirt for women, and tie, shirt and trousers for men... but then again that was for graduation.

For formals, i don't know how strict" they are, as in you must be in a suit, etc.

You guys have all received a freshers pack??? Dammit... why is St Johns so lazy!!!
Reply 7711
Nope, no freshers pack from Queens' yet.
hey guys, just wondering how many people actually take their entire PC's into uni? cheers
thegluups
You guys have all received a freshers pack??? Dammit... why is St Johns so lazy!!!

I'm still waiting for "The Tutorial Office" to send out more info.

Plutoniummatt
hey guys, just wondering how many people actually take their entire PC's into uni? cheers

I'm thinking about it.
Neutral_Tones
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay I have my gown and college scarf :woo: I went to Cam today to get them because I'm sad. Has anyone else got theirs yet? Or have any Caians got their room numbers? Apparently I've been allocated one :smile: Hope everyone's having a good day - sorry I'm so excited! :biggrin:

On Results Day after I knew I was in, my brother came up with a pressie for me - it was a Peterhouse scarf.... very sweet, I thought, especially as he is normally rubbish at presents!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::woo: :woo: :woo:
I'll be going to Cambridge on the 29th (September that is) to have a look.. and I am going to have to use all of my self-control not to buy a college scarf, a st johns rugby shirt, rowing, etc. I think I won't bring my credit card with me...:s-smilie: :s-smilie: smartly dress you need to be...
Reply 7716
zedliv
And do they come in different sizes, because I'm a complete midget!

No, there's only one size - which is often described as 'one size fits nobody'. I'm short, and mine's more like a floor-length cloak on me... :rolleyes:
Lidka
No, there's only one size - which is often described as 'one size fits nobody'. I'm short, and mine's more like a floor-length cloak on me... :rolleyes:

Isn't it part of the tradition to always be fiddling with your sleeves (because they keep getting in your way) or being forced to hold it in order not to trip over it...

The first few nights should be fun....

Is there anyone coming on 1st October?
Reply 7718
thegluups
Isn't it part of the tradition to always be fiddling with your sleeves (because they keep getting in your way) or being forced to hold it in order not to trip over it...

Er, no? At least not with my Clare gown. They are strange garments, but they're not impossible to move or eat in.
Reply 7719
Still can't believe I'm going somewhere where I have to wear a gown to eat me tea :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending