The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

acrosstheuniverse
eeh, yes the sizing is rather odd. I think it's because they put the american sizes on the clothes. A size 6 would probably be something like a 4:confused: They clearly have a strange way of fitting clothes though, as i was able to get size 8 clothes there when usually i'm a 10. It's like the opposite of Primark's weird sizing!

I don't think it is american sizing, cos American sizes are two sizes below British ones. An American Size 0 is a British Size 4, etc. I hate how they all have to have different sizes though. Why can't all shops be the same. And even within size brackets you end up with small, medium or large size 8s etc. if (for some bizarre obsessive reason) you try on all the exact same size clothes in the same shop.
My mum wants to buy me some kind of kneelength skirt business for matriculation, despite the fact that I look pretty awful in knee length skirts and very awful in blouses. I'm going to work on wearing my dress with patterned tights to distract from the shortness... :smile:
Hello again :wavey:

Hope everyone is well, I seem to have neglected TSR for an eternity :no:

Ukebert, I need to buy a laptop too, but, like you, am hopelessly lost when it comes to technology :o: I'm hoping my little brother will have more idea... :p:

We seem to have come back to clothes talk :love: I'm having real problems trying to decide what to take with me - I'm trying really hard to resist the urge to tie my wardrobe to the car!! :p:
See I know how to use computers, but the times when I knew what all the spec numbers meant is sadly long past :o:
ukebert
See I know how to use computers, but the times when I knew what all the spec numbers meant is sadly long past :o:

At least you actually knew at some point - I've just never had any idea!! :p:
Shadow of a Dream
At least you actually knew at some point - I've just never had any idea!! :p:

A friend has sent me some advice, so with any luck I'll be Ok :yes: Except that I now need to find some money from somewhere :s-smilie:
I'm using a Dell Vostro 1500 at the moment, because I wanted a heavy duty gaming laptop.

However, it seems that with certain games the Nvidia Geforce 8600M card driver seems to crap up with disturbing regularity, so that's something to think about. Complete crashes are rare, but the screen sometimes blacks out for 20 seconds, which is not funny when an orc is slashing at you.
Reply 8167
SunderX
I'm using a Dell Vostro 1500 at the moment, because I wanted a heavy duty gaming laptop.

However, it seems that with certain games the Nvidia Geforce 8600M card driver seems to crap up with disturbing regularity, so that's something to think about. Complete crashes are rare, but the screen sometimes blacks out for 20 seconds, which is not funny when an orc is slashing at you.

WoW?
SunderX

Nvidia released a statment 2 weeks ago saying that a very substantial batch of their graphics cards are faulty because of cheap materials :mad:

This annoys me muchly because I just ordered an XPS m1530 but Dell have said they will take full responsibility and replace all of the cards whether or not you have warranty
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/08/dell-extends-wa.html
Reply 8169
The West Wing
Nvidia released a statment 2 weeks ago saying that a very substantial batch of their graphics cards are faulty because of cheap materials :mad:

This annoys me muchly because I just ordered an XPS m1530 but Dell have said they will take full responsibility and replace all of the cards whether or not you have warranty

Ditto, I ordered it last night, but I knew about the fault - I'm risk taking because the laptop was a good deal! I'm not even a gamer, I was just getting better specs with the xps for pretty much the same price as I was going to pay for a studio15 or inspiron.
Too expensive :p: I'm cheap and demanding, I want to spend no more than £400 but have it do everything I ever dreamed of :yes:
emilY?
Ditto, I ordered it last night, but I knew about the fault - I'm risk taking because the laptop was a good deal! I'm not even a gamer, I was just getting better specs with the xps for pretty much the same price as I was going to pay for a studio15 or inspiron.

I'm quite mad because I know it's likely I'm going to have to deal with calling them up and negotiating to get someone to come to Cambridge to fix it. If it were possible I would have gotten it without the graphics card at all. Grrrrrrrr.
The West Wing

Oh cool, I'll check that out.

I'm playing Lord of the Rings Online by the way, although only for the summer. During term you really only have time for quickies.
ukebert
Too expensive :p: I'm cheap and demanding, I want to spend no more than £400 but have it do everything I ever dreamed of :yes:

Do you intend to play games on your laptop?

PS: How are you guys getting the Dell XPS m1530 so cheap? For the same spec (except for the graphics card) as the £729 XPS, you can get an Inspiron 1525 for under £569...
Reply 8174
On an unrelated note, my Anatomy Colouring book arrived in the post today! I am so proud that I get to regress to nursary. I saw the book in WHSmith last week when I went to try and find a present for a friend, however it was £29!! but Amazon is a LOT cheaper. Now the debate is which colours to use...I have a set of amazing pantone type markers but I had been planning on doing amazing layered marker work with them...but then again I never got round to it...or I can use my pencils but I have lots of random sets of those instead of a complete range of colours...but mmm decisions.

oh and at ChessPieceFace and other Clare people, Fitz are apparently going over to Clare during Freshers.
i can't believe this conversation is back to computers again.

I really like anatomy colouring books as well, the only anatomy book i have now is a thick one with absolutely everything in it, its quite hard to take all that information in at once, a colouring book will definitely get me into it more.
Reply 8176
Erm guys, after reading all this stuff about matriculation outfits, do you know what we are actually supposed to wear for matriculation? I read somewhere that just something smart will do - I m not a great fan of the skirt and shirt combination!
Reply 8177
alex_hk90

PS: How are you guys getting the Dell XPS m1530 so cheap? For the same spec (except for the graphics card) as the £729 XPS, you can get an Inspiron 1525 for under £569...

I used a deal which expired last night and got the XPS for £586, with 3GB RAM, so I decided twas worth it :smile:

(free biometric fingerprint scanner too haha, little things please little minds and all that :p:)
I just got my new clothes delivered. In order to celebrate this marvelous event, I opened them in such a hurry that I cut my finger with the scissors. I didn't notice how much it was bleeding and now my new dress is an itsy bitsy bit blood stained.

My loveheart costume was basically just two round pieces of cardboard that I tied together and wore over my shoulders. They cut the front piece up so they could use it for packing the car. It was sad. But to be fair it had been lying in the boot of the car for over a year.
alex_hk90

No idea :smile: I might do, but I don't know. I don't currently, but I used to.

Latest

Trending

Trending