The Student Room Group

Vacation Scheme Applications - Official Thread 2009!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
TommehR
Some firms (e.g. BLP) won't let you apply for a TC in the same year as you are rejected for a VS. And while the statistics attest to VSs being more difficult to secure than a TC, bear in mind that a TC is a much greater commitment for a firm to make and often they will want to be absolutely sure that they like you before they make that commitment. With VSs they are more likely to let on some borderline candidates to see how they fit in with the firm.

I would say that with more applicants, they would probably be more, not less discerning. It seems odd that they would reject strong applicant A for applicant B knowing they would definitely offer A a TC. But anyway the point stands that you can apply for both.

TommehR

As far as I can remember, most Open Days are in October-January with virtually big firms having their Open Days before the January 31st VS deadline. Open Days can be useful, but I'd really emphasise VSs as being the main way of getting the feel for a firm. It's quite easy for a firm to dazzle you for a day with presentations and free lunches - it's more difficult when you actually get to do work for a couple of weeks. That said, definitely get along to as many of them as you can, and make sure you go to as many events at Oxford as you can. They'll be a great way to get more information and maybe make a bit of an impression. On that note, does your Chris Saul story have a happy ending?

No :frown:. He didn't get back to me and I've been trying to arrange some of my own WE, which I figured would probably show a bit more dedication, and be a bit less cliche Oxbridge networking. I'll let you know how THAT works out :wink:.
Reply 21
Anyone heard back from Slaughter about the Christmas vacation scheme yet? x

Wow.... Slaughters only opened on 1st Sep, thanks for the reminder though!
No problem :smile: they've already emailed me for first year results (i'm doing a finals degree so i only have second year results), do you think the fact that i don't have any will affect whether i get in or not?
Reply 23
MaynardkatN13
No problem :smile: they've already emailed me for first year results (i'm doing a finals degree so i only have second year results), do you think the fact that i don't have any will affect whether i get in or not?

Erm... not entirely sure to be honest! On the form they ask for first and second year results. What is a 'finals degree'?
well, i take 7 out of 9 exams in my third (and final year). I took two this year from which i averaged 66%, but i didn't take any in my first year x
slanted_and_enchanted
Hey people :smile:

I thought it may be a good idea to have a thread where all questions about vac schemes could be answered!

I know that vac scheme applications are not open until October, but it the mean time i wondered if anyone could answer a few questions for me:

- The process / the sort of questions one will be asked to answer in the application.

- The amount of applications one would be advised to make (sorry, i think i asked this question before, but may be useful for other readers :smile:)

- How to get a better idea of 'commercial awareness'.

I'm sure i'll think of a few others soon enough!

Thanks people, Jess xxx

if you don't mind me asking, how old are all you guys/gals?

i guess what i mean is, are you all in your 1st/2nd/3rd year?

thanks, just wondering if i should be doing this.....lol...start LLB this saturday :smile:
Vacation schemes are almost all targeted at students who have completed their second or final year of the LLB.
Reply 27
MelesMeles
Vacation schemes are almost all targeted at students who have completed their second or final year of the LLB.

Not the Christmas schemes... They're pretty much ALL targeted at final year non law students.
Reply 28
MaynardkatN13
well, i take 7 out of 9 exams in my third (and final year). I took two this year from which i averaged 66%, but i didn't take any in my first year x

I should hope not...100% on my third year exams!
oh ok thanks :smile:
Allen and Overy give quite detailed info about the stage you should be at when applying. I can't remember exactly, but I think it says that Easter and Summer vacation schemes are open to penultimate (or 2nd year if you're doing a sandwich year abroad) and final year students.
I just read that for Allen and Overy, for training schemes starting in the term 2011/2012, which is the year I would be starting, you have to apply by the end of July '09... the end of first year!! scary...
Reply 32
*sparkles*
I just read that for Allen and Overy, for training schemes starting in the term 2011/2012, which is the year I would be starting, you have to apply by the end of July '09... the end of first year!! scary...
Are you doing a three year law degree? If so:

July '09 - End of first year
July '10 - End of second year
July '11 - End of third year
July '12 - End of LPC
Sept '12/March '13 - Start Training Contract

No firm will consider a TC application from a first year. The earliest you can apply and be considered is towards the end of your second year, normally after you've received your second year results.
Oh right, that's ok then! I didn't realise there was a year between the end of third year and the start of your training contract... oops sorry! I thought that some of them sponsored you through the LPC and that would count as a year of training contract.
Reply 34
Lol no, LPC is seperate to the training contract.
Three years degree, one year LPC, two years training contract, left to the wolfs for the rest of your life, is the general order. :p:
Reply 35
Hi,

I'm just about to start my final year non law degree. Only just got back from my holidays so not had a chance to apply for any vacation schemes yet.

So a few questions:

1) I'm under the impression that christmas vacation schemes are only offered at the bigger law firms (MC and some others). Is this true or is it all firms? For firms that don't offer it I can apply for spring and summer right?

2) I got AAA at A-Level (B at AS) and then 66% in my first year for my honours (good uni, not Oxbridge or London) and 62% in the second year. On the surface this seems good but my other units let me down a bit and in second year I got 63,50,46 and 42 in my non-honours exams even though they contributed the same amount. Even so I managed to average over everything 57% in my second year and I can definitely get a 2:1 this year, really let myself down last year.

On this info would a vacation scheme with Magic Circle be possible or am I deluding myself? How about non Magic Circle big firms?

Cheers guys and good luck in your applications.
when do people generally start applying for VPs?
Reply 37
thats_my_poison
when do people generally start applying for VPs?
If you're doing Law, then you will apply in your penultimate year (FAOD: second year if doing a three year course, third year if doing a four year course), between October and the end of January. Generally it's better to get your applications in as early as possible as some firms will fill up their places before the advertised deadline.
Hey,

I just wondered if any firms are accepting applications yet?

I know alot of firms open on the 1st of October?

Any open at present?

Thanks, Jess xxxx
Reply 39
slanted_and_enchanted
Hey,

I just wondered if any firms are accepting applications yet?

I know alot of firms open on the 1st of October?

Any open at present?

Thanks, Jess xxxx

Research my friend, research. Yes, one or two have opened.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending