The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jjkkll
People that do English lit and RS are gonna sail through this section, as they have become aclimatised to writing essays.

I find this section quite easy myself. I do history though, which is basically the same thing. You have to argue a case eloquently and reach a balanced conclusion (although I have to cut down on long and posh words) :p:

I didn't do physics though, so that bit in the science section is a bugger.
Reply 221
Toiletpaper8
I find this section quite easy myself. I do history though, which is basically the same thing. You have to argue a case eloquently and reach a balanced conclusion (although I have to cut down on long and posh words) :p:

I didn't do physics though, so that bit in the science section is a bugger.

I do physics and the Science section is a bugger.
jjkkll
I do physics and the Science section is a bugger.

Really?? I find the biology and chemistry bits quite easy (from the BMAT book). Some of the physics is ok, but sometimes I really do kick myself when a complicated physics one comes up, like graphs of resistance, circuits and stuff... Right over my head.

I haven't looked at the first section properly though.
Reply 223
Toiletpaper8
Really?? I find the biology and chemistry bits quite easy (from the BMAT book). Some of the physics is ok, but sometimes I really do kick myself when a complicated physics one comes up, like graphs of resistance, circuits and stuff... Right over my head.

I haven't looked at the first section properly though.

The BMAT book LOL, do the ones from last years paper its like WTF.

for all the sciences, ok some questions are Piss ease but then there are others like WOOOOOT.

but doing the sciences wont help us much as they are testing GCSE knowledge with ****** wording and then a twist.
Can you guys have alook at this essay? Just finished it - please have a look and be very honest! I know my essay skills are pretty crap (haven't written an essay since GCSE english - like most people on here) so I HONESTLY do not mind harsh criticism. :biggrin:

Anyway, here you go (I got this question of some place on New Media Medicine - i think its made up though):

Question: To think is to forget and not remember

Efficient thinking skills require a subject to process schemas (or “mental frameworks” as often described by cognitive psychologists) and produce a sensible output. At times this has to be done under pressure, but this is not always the case.

It can be argued that the need for one to think means that they have forgotten information. Simple examples such as forgetting what you ate for breakfast last Monday or what colour shirt you wore a week ago will require some sort of thought in order to remember accurately. In such cases, thinking back to a memorable reason that occurred simultaneously (such as attending a friend’s party or having a drink spilt on it) might trigger your memory. Clearly in these cases, simply thinking back means that one has forgotten an aspect of an action and needs to think to remember why that action was performed.

However, it is not always the case that thinking is a consequence of forgetting. Medically, diagnosing each patient requires some scope of thinking given that each patient has a both a varying medical history and a genetic make up. Therefore, in these cases, whilst symptoms may be common, a doctor has to think of the likely causes and/or effects of an ailment, in the aim of correctly diagnosing each patient. For example, suffering from a transient ischemic attack (TIA) may be seen as a ‘warning’ to a more serious stroke or simply a one-off attack. In both cases, a medical history might show that there are varying reasons for an attack. Therefore, thinking about the case history (and in essence a likely cause) of each patient doesn’t necessarily mean an inability to remember, but solely as a means of an improved diagnostic accuracy.

Given that thinking may either be as a form of remembering or as a means of a more effective output, I believe that it is clearly distinguishable when thinking does or doesn’t come as a result of forgetting; it depends on other factors such as the situation and the desired output.
Reply 225
jjkkll
People that do English lit and RS are gonna sail through this section, as they have become aclimatised to writing essays.

true, i do english lit and i find this section easier than the science section. but it's not the actual writing of the essay and coming up with good phrases and structure, it's the actual ideas which are hard. esp if they're incredibly weird concepts like the one above ^^. i would flop at that essay!
Reply 226
lotusx
true, i do english lit and i find this section easier than the science section. but it's not the actual writing of the essay and coming up with good phrases and structure, it's the actual ideas which are hard. esp if they're incredibly weird concepts like the one above ^^. i would flop at that essay!

its not even an essay, the question is just a statement, so the fact that Medicine man made an essay using 5 words as his question is amazing.
NEW ESSAY QUESTION- WEEK 4.2: "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts" (Einstein)

What do you understand by this statement? Use examples to discuss this statement, giving both sides of the argument.
jjkkll
its not even an essay, the question is just a statement, so the fact that Medicine man made an essay using 5 words as his question is amazing.

Good point!

However, irrespective of whether its a question or a statement, it still has the same general idea - you write an essay arguing for the claim and then against it, before coming to a reasoned judgement. Same thing your question did and probably what we'll get in the actual exam. Its practice after all - i need to better my technique so the more essays i write, the better i'd get (or atleast thats what I'm hoping for:p: ).

oh and just so you know, the "question" had 8 words not 5! :p:

And i simply copied it from a post on New Media Medicine (as I already stated) and answered it - I'm not able enough to write my own questions!
I didnt know if this link has been posted before but it has some good questions for parts 1 and 2:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lapt/bmat/
Reply 230
crazylemon
I didnt know if this link has been posted before but it has some good questions for parts 1 and 2:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lapt/bmat/

that used to be my secret weapon, but they are the Specimen Papers.
jjkkll
that used to be my secret weapon, but they are the Specimen Papers.

I got 80% when doing part 2 is that round what /i should be aiming for or does it need to be higher (I have NO idea of the boundries)
Isometrix
NEW ESSAY QUESTION- WEEK 4.2: "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts" (Einstein)

What do you understand by this statement? Use examples to discuss this statement, giving both sides of the argument.

will give that a go tomorrow
need to do some section 1 practice tonight
Reply 233
erm what should i be doing for section 1 & 2 practice?

there seems to be only so few questions...:frown:
Reply 234
Aiex
erm what should i be doing for section 1 & 2 practice?

there seems to be only so few questions...:frown:

question in the BMAT book, the UKCAT and BMAT Book, the 2007 paper question, the spec paper and the intro paper.

And all those on UCL http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lapt/laptlite/sys/options.htm
wheres the spec and intro paper?
Reply 237
jjkkll
question in the BMAT book, the UKCAT and BMAT Book, the 2007 paper question, the spec paper and the intro paper.

And all those on UCL http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lapt/laptlite/sys/options.htm

cheers,

though is that is all? it seems there isn't a lot to practice from as legally we're not supposed to have the past papers apart from those on the website. I heard some school do though... mine doesn't:shifty:

the UCL website has quite a few i see, though the bmat section is just the speciman paper, the other sections are nice though:yep:
thanku xx
Reply 239
this is a bit off topic, but do you think i'll be able to get an extra confirmation letter from the centre i've applied for BMAT as i've currently lost the one they gave me on the day?? i'm panicking

Latest

Trending

Trending