The Student Room Group

The Classic Rock Society Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Chinese Democracy Update;

It has gone on sale in Mexico in some stores so a leak is most likely going to happen any time

The Sun has done a slight review of the album in which they declare; GUNS N’ ROSES’ first album of new material in 17 years makes QUEEN at their extravagant peak sound like a choir of monks.

Sorry Uth;
It is so lavish that even the contribution of Queen’s BRIAN MAY, a scorching guitar solo, was left on the cutting room floor by mastermind AXL ROSE.

The poodle-haired guitarist told me: “It is a shame. I put quite a lot of work in and was proud of it.

“But I could understand if Axl wants to have an album which reflects the work of the members of the band as it is right now.”

I think the problem is they like the album in some cases a lot but they keep referring as 14 years work when it isn't, he hasn't been sat in a studio for 14 years making it he has just been prating around. :biggrin:
Reply 721
Mitch Mitchell (9th July, 1947 - 12th November, 2008)

I am absolutely loving Ronnie James Dio - he's shot up to third in my vocalists list! There are some excellent Black Sabbath tracks on 'Backtracking' - in case you didn't know, its the top 15 Black Sabbath songs with Ozzy on lead vocals.
'A Day at the Races' isn't the most enjoyable album, but it's OK. 'A Night at the Opera', on the other hand, is an absolute mind-blowing classic, as is 'News of the World' - they will, they will rock you.
Led Zeppelin IV, of course, is my favorite ablum of all time.
So, if I were to rate these albums out of five:
'Backtracking' - ****
'Heaven and Hell' - *****
'A Day at the Races' - ***(1/2*)
'A Night at the Opera' - *****
'News of the World' - *****
'Led Zeppelin IV' - ******* :wink:

Everyone says 'Chinese Democracy' is brilliant. I'm vaguely interested...

Uth, great work on the Individual Top 20s. Just straighten out the format a bit.
However, You've pasted my first draft - I made an edit on that and included 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'.
And, what happens to the lists of those of us who have listed the top 20 in no particular order?
Reply 722
You can number em if you want em changed into order :smile:

Yeh i may have missed some edits if they were seperate - i'll sort em out. :wink:

How dare Axl insult Brian like that too... He's miles away from being a patch on Brian as a musician or a person... pff

That was the thing i was looking forward to most about the album too.. :frown:
Reply 723
Its not really an insult. Maybe he just thought the sound wouldn't fit.
Don't listen to 'The Sun', they're a bunch of idiots. Nobody can make Queen sound bad, unless its in a good way.:p:
Reply 724
Queen are in a different league to Guns N Roses, and a much higher one at that. I do like Guns N Roses. But you can't compare the brilliance of Queen to Guns N Roses. What a shame Brian May's solo didn't make it on here :frown:
Reply 725
It's not really a comparison of the two bands just something in a song that Axl did not seem as fitting but I think it did. Catcher N' The Rye

That said it would have been a bad idea to have it on anyway, I mean the first material in 14 years with a guest guitarist on when the band has had about five thousand different ones.
Reply 726
Exactly. Spot on.
Reply 727
The wait is over. Chinese Demcracy is out. Just downloaded it and listening to it now!
Reply 728
Best album of the decade. Seriously. A masterpiece. Not going to write a lot about it each track because it's a really personal album meaning you will even like it or you won't and nothing will change that.
I just wish Chinese Democracy wasn't the first single. There is no song on this album that feels like a filler in fact if he would have used these tracks across a few albums then every single one could have been a single. Axl's lyrics have so much meaning to them and you can't help but think what is he talking about, it's never very clear such as the song Sorry (Which is F*n awesome) in which the lines;
You like to hurt me
You know that you do
You like to think in some way
That it’s me and not you
(But we know that isn’t true)

You can't help but think is he talking about Slash? Duff? Weiland? A lover? Critics? Fans? This is relevant in the whole album and this is a very powerful rock album.

To rate each song then I'd give them all 10/10 except Chinese Democracy and There Was A Time, the reason for CD is the intro is just too long I mean 1minute with no actual real sounds is pretty lame and There Was A Time just bugs me because the song is actually amazing but the guitar just comes out of nowhere and completely ruins parts of the rhythm in the song.

I knew and you knew I would love this but I didn't not realize how much, I'd happily pick this up over the Sambora albums (which are my favourite) right now, the leaks in some cases (Better/Streets) are all but the same but This I Love oh my god..... it is just like a new song from what I heard before and a million times better.

This album is like November Rain with the grand feel all the way through, it just feels so perfectly trimmed which may not have been what appetite was about with a focus on rawness but this album is downright incredible. You may hate it but no one can ever doubt Axl Roses ability after he crafted this. 14 years work? No. Was it worth the wait? Hell yes.
Reply 729
Lol. I knew you'd like it dev :p:

But hey, if it was anything less than brilliant after he took 14 damn years to make it there'd be something seriously wrong :biggrin:

I'll get the album when it is released officially in CD form in the UK :smile:
Reply 730
GnR are well known for Slash's kiss-ass guitar solos so the ones that really stand out are;
Better
This I Love
Catcher N' The Rye (May's + New One)
Streets Of Dreams

It's out Monday here! I feel like I have to buy this one otherwise I would feel pretty guility. :wink:
did may do a solo for cather and it was replaced by another solo? or who? who did the solo
Reply 732
Clubber Lang
did may do a solo for cather and it was replaced by another solo? or who? who did the solo

May recorded a solo for Catcher N' The Rye in 1999 (I posted it earlier on) but he will not be on the final release. I think it will either be Bumblefoot or Bucketheads solo. Robin Finck played lead for some time as well but he's left now but he was terrible live, he practically killed all the classics.
I still like Madagascar, its a bit overblown but i like that

This I Love aint bad, voice on it is MUCH better than I expected, probably listen to it all in more detail this week.
Reply 734
Clubber Lang
I still like Madagascar, its a bit overblown but i like that

This I Love aint bad, voice on it is MUCH better than I expected, probably listen to it all in more detail this week.

The whole album is pretty much overblown. :biggrin: Have you heard a leaked This I Love? The final is much different.
Reply 735
GUNS N' ROSES' new album, "Chinese Democracy", will be available for streaming in its entirety on the band's official MySpace page starting tomorrow, Thursday, November 20 until the LP's release date, November 23.

Source :wink:
i like the guitar work on There was a Time
Reply 737
Devel
The whole album is pretty much overblown. :biggrin: Have you heard a leaked This I Love? The final is much different.

This I Love never leaked, if you're referring to 'New Song #2' that was 'Prostitute'

Anyway, the whole thing can now be streamed online for those who don't do the illegal stuff

http://www.myspace.com/gunsnroses

Oh and my 2 cents...jesus t***y f*****n' christ it's good
Reply 738
Pezking
This I Love never leaked, if you're referring to 'New Song #2' that was 'Prostitute'

It must have leaked, I've got a version that is nothing like the final one. :biggrin:
Although I think I just deleted it with the new one. I've also got Crash Diet which is pretty good but did not make final release.
I'm listening to Chinese Democracy for the first time right now. At first, I was a bit unsure, I think some of the computerized stuff jarred a bit...other than Axl's ever-awesome vocals, I couldn't really tell it was GN'R.
But I'm about halfway through now, and I am loving it. I particularly like 'Sorry', it's melancholy and gorgeous. Also enjoyed 'There Was A Time' and 'Catcher in the Rye'.. I'll be back when I've heard the rest, but I have to say what I've heard is pretty damn good. Yay!

Ps. First time I've posted here, where have I been?!?! I <3 classic rock! :thrasher:

Quick Reply

Latest