J-E-N-O-V-A
"you are only guarenteed accomodation at UCL if you put it as your firm choice"

This is unfair.

how's that unfair?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
lily_blue3
One of my friends, who was living in Astor, had to change halls. A homeless guy was sleeping in the corridor (apparently not uncommon due to lax security). My mate got up to go to the loo in the middle of the night, then forgot to lock his door when he went back to bed....the homeless guy went into his room (whilst he was sleeping!) and stole his wallet, phone, keys and a whole load of other stuff....

lol mark
Helio)))sophist
lol mark

Yup!
Haha, maybe not astor then! Does anyone know why Max Rayne is so cheap?

It's so hard to decide. On the one hand, sharing a room saves me £35 a week, more or less. But then I don't know if £35 a week is worth it if I despise my room-mate!
Reply 744
Max Rayne is cheaper cos it's further out (Camden I think?). Shared room + Self Catered + No ensuite + Further out = cheapest rooms. Bear in mind you'd need to factor in transport costs, if you're living in camden or wherever you're gonna be using your oyster a fair bit more than someone who's living closer. Not sure how much it works out at p/w on average for transport though.

C-
Ah, I see.

No, the 35 a week was to have a room in Arthur Tattersall,so no transport costs there! It seems too good to be true really! :biggrin:
Joanna May

It's so hard to decide. On the one hand, sharing a room saves me £35 a week, more or less. But then I don't know if £35 a week is worth it if I despise my room-mate!

that was just a one off incident really
its just less prison-like with its security than ramsay/ian baker
nothing wrong with astor, awesome location, cheap, very social, rooms are nice
kitchens aren't great on some of the floors, but it's not too bad really.
Joanna May

camden is too far away from UCL, far enough to be a nuisance. try as hard as possible to get halls that are closer.
Reply 748
No rubbish, living in Max Rayne is the best, the wardens basically don't care, no-one cares about visitors. The distance to uni has never been a problem. PS What corridor are you in Helio ?
Reply 749
Joanna May
Wasn't sure whether to bump this or start a new one, but this seems the best idea. I'm trying to apply for accomodation now, before I go off on my gap year travels. I'm torn between Campbell House and Schafer House. I've read a lot about Schafer but can anyone tell me anything at all about Campbell East/West? No one seems to live there, on TSR at least?

I live in Campbell East and have been to West a few times.
East was renovated over the summer (people still coming round to fix things like taps and doors, but seems to be done now) so looks rather nice, although some people have managed to **** some **** up, like breaking chairs in the communal areas. It's the nicest halls I've been to, the best location (3 minute walk to lectures in the morning, 2 minutes to the union), and the price is comparable to others like Skankton Close (which is 15 minutes away and is really old and dirty) or Schaefer (a bit further to walk, but wouldn't mind living there). It is quite expensive, but you are paying for living right next to uni in pretty much the nicest halls. Kitchens are pretty small except for the two in the basement (where I live-its awesome). Loos and showers are shared between half a floor usually, but depends where you are (people from ground floor come down and use ours because they are closer) Not had a problem finding a loo to use apart from when there's been a party or something. There's always a free shower.

There are a lot of shared rooms, and I was meant to be in one, but since renovation there are more single rooms, which I got moved into. It is quite big, not as big as a shared, but not tiny. There are some rather small ones in the house (4x2 meters or so) but people I know don't really have a massive problem with it.

If you want some more details just ask. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
I shared a room in AT last year, and it was really worth the saving of money. i live with my roommate this year (tho we have our own rooms now), and our room was literally huge.
Reply 751
gmoczulski
Hi there, sorry if people have already asked a question like this but I really cant be bothered to read through all 40 odd pages. Im now on my gap year and have confirmed UCL as my choice for 2009/10 entry, however I was wondering if there was date before which you cannot apply for accomodation? Since I want to get it sorted before I set off travelling.

Also I was wondering which hall to go for, since I prefer a single room but am not fussed if I have to share really, also wondering which which halls had been refurbished etc lately or which ones are generally nice? I am opting for catered preferably within in relatively decent proximity to the actual university

cheers

Ramsay for sure ! it rules
5 mins walk to uni, right off tottenham court rd
catered, mostly single room with basin
biggest undergraduate hall >400 ppl
its amazing here we always just sit n chat in the corridor
plus we have our own Winter Ball @ Vertigo !
Max Rayne transport costs isn't too bad - definitely doesn't add to £35 pw!! It's 90p on bus each way, £1.50 on tube and if you really fancy saving your money you can get a season ticket on Student Oyster or just walk, it can be done in 25 mins if power walking (i.e late). Only downside is it's particularly busy at around 8.30ish and 5ish, obviously because people are going to and from work or whatever, so best bet is if you have a 9am start get the bus at like 8.15 rather than 8.30. Takes around 20 mins on bus. Once your at Camden Town St, it's literally less than 5 mins to Euston (though I think actually getting out of Euston is longer than the journey!) but the walk down to the tube station is further than I usually plan for :p:
Max Rayne is quite sociable if you're into the drinking culture etc, quite loud. Kitchens... some are nice enough as they've been refurbished. Mine actually has no cupboards, though there are sort of locker things to put food in. If people want I can take photos, though as I'm sure Ed will testify our kitchen isn't really representative as it's generally a state :p: :p: due to our corridor not washing dishes (I do btw!)
Oooh, photos would be nice! I hadn't really considered Max Rayne, but I'm interested to see pictures!
Reply 754
Am I right in thinking Ramsay Hall is pretty much the sex for catered?
El Mariachi
Am I right in thinking Ramsay Hall is pretty much the sex for catered?

Yes. Yes you are.

We're the biggest hall with the biggest social budget too. Rooms are nice, mostly single, 5 mins from uni but you've heard this all before...
Reply 756
lily_blue3
Yes. Yes you are.

We're the biggest hall with the biggest social budget too. Rooms are nice, mostly single, 5 mins from uni but you've heard this all before...

Awesome. But how does one "get into" Ramsay seeing as UCL don't let you specify the accommodation you want?

Also, it says they confirm after results in August, but, seeing as I already have my results (gap year) would I get a confirmation earlier...and is it first-come first-served?
El Mariachi
Awesome. But how does one "get into" Ramsay seeing as UCL don't let you specify the accommodation you want?

Also, it says they confirm after results in August, but, seeing as I already have my results (gap year) would I get a confirmation earlier...and is it first-come first-served?

It is first come, first served, as far as I know. Yes, you should get your confirmation earlier.

It's easy to swing the form.
Say proximity is your most important factor; put UCL halls as first choice of accomodation; say you're a smoker if you want a single room; put £145 for how much you want to pay rent, with about £155 for maximum (it will never be that much); stick a note in the margin saying "Please may I have Ramsay if possible!"

Sorted. That's what a lot of us did and we're all here :smile:
Reply 758
lily_blue3
It is first come, first served, as far as I know. Yes, you should get your confirmation earlier.

It's easy to swing the form.
Say proximity is your most important factor; put UCL halls as first choice of accomodation; say you're a smoker if you want a single room; put £145 for how much you want to pay rent, with about £155 for maximum (it will never be that much); stick a note in the margin saying "Please may I have Ramsay if possible!"

Sorted. That's what a lot of us did and we're all here :smile:

Safe! Most rooms are single though aren't they? I'd rather be in a shared room than a shared room with a smoker...

Ahhh can't wait, wish LSE would just reject me already!
El Mariachi
Safe! Most rooms are single though aren't they? I'd rather be in a shared room than a shared room with a smoker...

Ahhh can't wait, wish LSE would just reject me already!

Mostly single, yeah. There's only 2 shared rooms on my corrdior of 40 rooms approx. And all shared rooms are non-smoking if one person isn't a smoker

Latest

Trending

Trending