The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1
The second years I know live in Wood Green, which seems a nice enough place. About 20 mins away from college on the tube. There doesn't seem to be a requirement to stay in bad areas from the second years I've spoken to.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Thanks for that advice :smile:
It's just a stereotype I've heard about London students and I was worried the extent to which it's true!
but that helps :smile:
Reply 3
It's not necessary at all. There's no distance requirements, so you can live further out in order to save money without having to live in dodgy areas.

Most second years live in London. I don't think you could really claim that most live in one area because they don't really. North London is popular with UCL students, presumably because there are good bus and tube links to UCL, but that ranges from zone 1 around Kings Cross and Euston right out to zone 6.
Reply 4
That's good to know!
Do you think it's quite hard to "learn" your way around London/to UCL, or by year 2 do most people have it pretty sorted?
I love the look of UCL, the idea of it, the course.
But although I'm a very strong, confident person, there's no denying I've lived quite a sheltered life -- yeah, I go to Nottingham alone, and I'm comfortable with travelling alone, but London just seems so, well, scary!
Reply 5
whats so scary about London ? lol
Reply 6
Most UCL students just find their "niche" in London and stick to it for most of their time there. If you ask them about other places in London, chances are they won't have any more idea than you do.
Reply 7
JamesHo
whats so scary about London ? lol

I dunno, knife crime, all the stereotypes haha!
I guess I'm just very "small town" and suburban so it seems a big step, even though I find the idea v. exciting.

Yeah I'm probably being pretty dumb assuming that all London students automatically develop internalised street-maps of everywhere!
Reply 8
I lived in Robert Street, just off Hampstead road. It wasnt the best of areas, but it was by no means dangerous. We had a great time, and pretty much every other next door neighbour was a student at UCL or SOAS.
Reply 9
acore
I lived in Robert Street, just off Hampstead road. It wasnt the best of areas, but it was by no means dangerous. We had a great time, and pretty much every other next door neighbour was a student at UCL or SOAS.

How much did that cost?
acore

Likewise, I've got a mate who lives just off Eversholt Street. Seems an ideal location to me :teeth:
Reply 11
Ewan
How much did that cost?

The rent was £230 (we negotiated it down from £260) for a 2 bedroom (one bedroom and one converted lounge) flat. Hence I paid around £115 a week for the flat, not including gas and electric.

rockrunride
Likewise, I've got a mate who lives just off Eversholt Street. Seems an ideal location to me :teeth:

Definately, it's awsome, you are close to camden, euston, its a very short walk to the school. Couldn't ask for better really.
Brouhaha
I dunno, knife crime, all the stereotypes haha!
I guess I'm just very "small town" and suburban so it seems a big step, even though I find the idea v. exciting.

Yeah I'm probably being pretty dumb assuming that all London students automatically develop internalised street-maps of everywhere!

I come from a village and I coped better than people from cities! London isn't just one city...it's lots of small areas that sort of merged together. The area immediately round UCL is Bloomsbury and is very easy to get around...it's mainly university buildings. In second year most people seem to live around Camden, Euston and King's Cross which are within easy walking distance of uni (and it's very easy to get around...you'll find out where everything important is very quickly). Others like me, live further out in Holloway, Kentish Town, Archway, Finsbury Park etc. There are lots of bus and tube links to the university area so it's really quite simple.
Reply 13
People further away also live in places such a Kilburn, Maida Vale, St Johns Wood etc...living in Kilburn myself, it's damn nice, and you can get a bigger room than most people who live nearby, just gotta go for the "going in for a day" mentality rather than hopping betwen home and lectures.

Although if you do, your god will turn into the ones controlling the Jubilee/Metropolitan lines.... :P
Chimpyang
People further away also live in places such a Kilburn, Maida Vale, St Johns Wood etc...living in Kilburn myself, it's damn nice, and you can get a bigger room than most people who live nearby, just gotta go for the "going in for a day" mentality rather than hopping betwen home and lectures.

Although if you do, your god will turn into the ones controlling the Jubilee/Metropolitan lines.... :P

I'm sorta like that now. I leave about half an hour before lectures usually, as I'm just outside Camden Town.
Reply 15
I live by Mornington Crescent station and its very convenient for transport, shops and walking to university. I pay £120 a week on rent alone (gas, water, TV.....would probably take it up to £140). I think I may want to move back into halls next year.
Reply 16
how easy is it to get an accomodation which is close to the uni? and also the area must be nice, no kinifing people haha!
what do you reckon the monthly rent would be inluding bills?
Reply 17

how easy is it to get an accomodation which is close to the uni? and also the area must be nice, no kinifing people haha!
what do you reckon the monthly rent would be inluding bills?

Pretty easy if you've got the money. But I'd say £130-£180 if you want somewhere very close to UCL.
yeah i live just off hampstead road and I pay 110 a week. its very small though but a good location (10mins to uni, 10mins to camden and 10mins to regents park), mose people live in that area or caledonian road/kings cross or even russell square.
Reply 19
I'm potentially going to be living near Harrow (zone 4 - 5) because my boyfriend is (hopefully) going to be doing a masters in Westminster University. It's not too bad, around 30 mins on tube and transport cost shouldn't be too expensive cos I have a student oyster card. Also, accomm. isn't too badly priced around there. I'm already used to the in for a day thing cos I study a science which has more contact time.

Latest