The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
sad core
yeah, i am going to do so. Anyway they seems to shift the deadline from end of March to end of May. Am i right?

What's the difference between "self-catering" and "catering"?
I wanted Lilian Knowles but it seems like nobody applies for Lilian Knowles. Why is it so?
Do you guys cook in the hall? My sister went UK and she told me it is impossible not to cook because the food over there is just too expensive after currency conversion.

Self-catering means that you cook the food yourself

Catered means that the hall offers lunch and dinner services
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 281
Self-catering will probably be the best though. It would be some little relieve on your money budget as it is always cheaper to cook your own food. I love cooking anyway so I am really looking forwards to it =)
kitsune
Self-catering means that you cook the food yourself

Catered means that the hall offers lunch and dinner services

thanks for the explanation.
Did you received your offer letter after you have confirmed your LSE offer as your FIRM choice in UCAS? I guess they only send the letter after the applicant with offer choose LSE as their firm choice or insurance choice.

Anyway does anyone know anything about Lilian Knowles? It doesn't seem to be a popular choice.
Reply 283
sad core
thanks for the explanation.
Did you received your offer letter after you have confirmed your LSE offer as your FIRM choice in UCAS? I guess they only send the letter after the applicant with offer choose LSE as their firm choice or insurance choice.

Anyway does anyone know anything about Lilian Knowles? It doesn't seem to be a popular choice.

I did receive it afterwards but I think it doesn't have anything to do with choosing it or not...
kitsune
I did receive it afterwards but I think it doesn't have anything to do with choosing it or not...

Are LSE Residences better off than Intercollegiate Residences? What are their differences? If i need to apply for Intercollegiate Residences, do I apply it in LSE website(https://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/tc/forwardrequest.html?url=http://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/ap/myLSE/xhtml/welcometomylse.html)

I need to know more about Lilian Knowles,lolz... not a popular choice in TSR
What is a studio?

kitsune
1. Carr-Saunders
2. Rosebery
3. Butlers Wharf

You seems to prefer to catering instead or self-catering despite you are an overseas student.
What's the difference between single (reduced), single (standard) and single (plus)? Other than the cost per week obviously!
El Mariachi
Not heard of that before! It might be an indication of size...I think I've seen "small single" and "large single" in the intercollegiate halls?

Yeah I thought so too. It's the accomodation for Grosvenor House. Each room supposedly has a kitchnette so maybe the reduced ones don't? I'm not sure...
Finally i have decided,
1) High Holborn
2) Lilian Knowles
3) Northumberland
El Mariachi
Oh right, no idea really, didn't look twice at Grosvenor house it's way out of my budget!! I suggest you either e-mail them or give them a ring to find out :smile:

Thanks, yeah I think that's what I'm gonna do :smile:
Reply 289
sad core
Are LSE Residences better off than Intercollegiate Residences? What are their differences? If i need to apply for Intercollegiate Residences, do I apply it in LSE website(https://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/tc/forwardrequest.html?url=http://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/ap/myLSE/xhtml/welcometomylse.html)

I need to know more about Lilian Knowles,lolz... not a popular choice in TSR
What is a studio?

You seems to prefer to catering instead or self-catering despite you are an overseas student.

No... I prefer self-catering, that's why I chose those options! lol! and I'm not overseas, I'm an EU student :smile:
Reply 290
Finally got round to submitting the form!
I went for:
1. Carr-Saunders
2. Passfield
3. Bankside

and now begins the looong wait :yep:
WHOOOOOOO, it feels so good posting in this thread after months of tedious waiting on the applicants one. Anyway, at the moment I'm thinking Bankside, Rosebury and Carr Saunders - in that order of preference. Is Rosebury really as sociable as everyone says? As a domestic student, the social side is what worries me the most! The only halls I've seen so far is Bankside and I loved it!
ninety_nine
WHOOOOOOO, it feels so good posting in this thread after months of tedious waiting on the applicants one. Anyway, at the moment I'm thinking Bankside, Rosebury and Carr Saunders - in that order of preference. Is Rosebury really as sociable as everyone says? As a domestic student, the social side is what worries me the most! The only halls I've seen so far is Bankside and I loved it!

What was Bankside like? I'm really curious to know about the rooms and the quality of catering.
kitsune
No... I prefer self-catering, that's why I chose those options! lol! and I'm not overseas, I'm an EU student :smile:

Did I get you wrongly?
No cooking facilities are available for Rosebery and Car-Saunders. Only Butler Wharf has it.
Oppss, sorry for my wrong assumption. I though you are a overseas student. :biggrin:

Rosebery(No cooking facilities included,eg mircrowave or stove grill)
Meals
Evening meals and breakfast (brunch at weekends) are provided on a pay-as-you-eat basis. The dining hall offers a wide range of both hot and cold foods, with vegetarian alternatives always available. The average cost of an evening meal is £3.50. There are limited facilities on each floor for students who wish to prepare hot drinks and snacks as well as a number of vending machines on site.

Carr - Saunders Hall(No cooking facilities included,eg mircrowave or stove grill)
Meals
Evening meals, available Monday to Friday and brunch at weekends, are provided on a pay-as-you-eat basis. The dining hall offers a wide range of both hot and cold foods, with vegetarian alternatives always available. The average cost of an evening meal is £3.50. There are limited facilities on each floor for students who wish to prepare hot drinks and snacks as well as a number of vending machines on site.
roundtriangle
What was Bankside like? I'm really curious to know about the rooms and the quality of catering.

I may dissapoint you then, since I only saw the outside of it (I literally meant 'saw'). I was just impressed by it's location (next to the Tate, so has a really nice view, and when I walked up to LSE it wasn't that far away), it's size (I prefer larger halls) and the combination of it having both en-suite and being sociable (it seemed quite noisy from far away). There are pictures of the rooms on the LSE accomodation website.

Can anyone tell me how sociable Bankside is then? It's between that and Rosebury for first choice, so I want to know whether it's a toss-up between being sociable or having my own bathroom!
Btw, how long did it take for you all to get your LSE packs? Did you have to firm it first? I'm domestic so hopefully mine'll be ploughing it's way through Royal Mail soon!
ninety_nine
I may dissapoint you then, since I only saw the outside of it (I literally meant 'saw'). I was just impressed by it's location (next to the Tate, so has a really nice view, and when I walked up to LSE it wasn't that far away), it's size (I prefer larger halls) and the combination of it having both en-suite and being sociable (it seemed quite noisy from far away). There are pictures of the rooms on the LSE accomodation website.

Can anyone tell me how sociable Bankside is then? It's between that and Rosebury for first choice, so I want to know whether it's a toss-up between being sociable or having my own bathroom!

I had the same dilemma as you. I REALLY want my own bathroom but I won't die if I have to share. I also want to be around people who are keen to have a break from studies and have a good laugh.

I choose Bankside in the end because I've heard it's not that far behind socially, it's only less "cosy" because it's so big. What made me make this dicision is that, like many people have said, it all depends on the year.

Rosebery will also be one of the most sociable ones because freshers who don't want to be in a quiet hall will ask around old students and figure out Rosebery is where they should be.

Since Bankside is not a graveyard either, I decided I wanted the (apparetly) bigger room and the ensuite, not having to move out all my stuff in the vacations is also a plus.

PLus... we can make it as sociable as we like! !

That was a bit long, but I hope you get why I finally made that decision. I chose R as my second of course!
Ladyviolet
I had the same dilemma as you. I REALLY want my own bathroom but I won't die if I have to share. I also want to be around people who are keen to have a break from studies and have a good laugh.

I choose Bankside in the end because I've heard it's not that far behind socially, it's only less "cosy" because it's so big. What made me make this dicision is that, like many people have said, it all depends on the year.

Rosebery will also be one of the most sociable ones because freshers who don't want to be in a quiet hall will ask around old students and figure out Rosebery is where they should be.

Since Bankside is not a graveyard either, I decided I wanted the (apparetly) bigger room and the ensuite, not having to move out all my stuff in the vacations is also a plus.

PLus... we can make it as sociable as we like! !

That was a bit long, but I hope you get why I finally made that decision. I chose R as my second of course!

On the contrary, thanks for a long reply, I was afraid people would just reply 'Bankside' or 'Rosebury' without offering much of an explanation why. Yeah, I'm still torn between the two, and it is really difficult deciding. I may just choose when I visit the place, and judge on what the atmosphere's like at each. I'm not sure why people are stating that it depends on the year - LSE attracts a similarly large number of applicants from certain parts of the world all the time, so I doubt the demographics change too much. Arrghhh, I just don't want to be stood in my precious en-suite toilet alone (that sounds so wrong but hopefully people understand). What are you/did you put for your last choice - CS?

Are you coming next year, or are you a first year btw - I couldn't work it out from what you wrote! :smile:
El Mariachi
To the Bankside/Rosebery debate, Bankside was originally my first choice. However, after much deliberation and talking to people who are there, Rosebery is apparently much further ahead on a social scale. Initially I wanted an en-suite, but then I decided that I don't really need one and I can definitely live without one. Also, by not going for Bankside, you can save around £40 going for Rosebery/CS. I put CS as my first choice as I like the location and apparently it has the best community atmosphere as it's one of the smallest, which I think I'd prefer, but I'd be more than happy with Rosebery too.

Is Bankside not particulary sociable then? I wish I knew people who were at/studied at LSE, but everyone around here aims for the likes of Durham and Manchester (unis in the north)! You know, I'm quite tempted to just copy your order :tongue:
ninety_nine
On the contrary, thanks for a long reply, I was afraid people would just reply 'Bankside' or 'Rosebury' without offering much of an explanation why. Yeah, I'm still torn between the two, and it is really difficult deciding. I may just choose when I visit the place, and judge on what the atmosphere's like at each. I'm not sure why people are stating that it depends on the year - LSE attracts a similarly large number of applicants from certain parts of the world all the time, so I doubt the demographics change too much. Arrghhh, I just don't want to be stood in my precious en-suite toilet alone (that sounds so wrong but hopefully people understand). What are you/did you put for your last choice - CS?

Are you coming next year, or are you a first year btw - I couldn't work it out from what you wrote! :smile:

I agree it is extremely difficult, thats why I kindof wrongly made the choice when I was half asleep at 3 oclock in the morning because I couldnt bare doodling around about it any longer! I just hope I wont regret it, but I really dont think I will, looks like a really nice hall and the meals are so much cheaper. and if go into serious depression because I dont feel its sociable enough, I could always swap! My mums in England at the moment so shes visiting it next week so that might help reassure me.

About the possibility of it changing slightly every year,dont know what u understood but i just meant that, as i said Rosebery will bever be UNsociable, bankside slightly less, they will never change completely from one year to the next but Bankside could be slightly better than usual next year with a bit of luck so I took the chance for the ensuite.

i laughed out loud when I read "Arrghhh, I just don't want to be stood in my precious en-suite toilet alone!!" Yes That could come accross as a bit weird but I did understand you! I think I did put CS i was hesitating with HH but decided it was too expensive. ( I have to pay the overseas fees for tuition)

Yup I will be a fresher next year for IR, or King's college If I dont meet the requirements but hopefully I will!

Latest

Trending

Trending