The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
prospectivEEconomist
You are either lieng or wrote a really really really bad PS.

or had a really bad reference.
Wow you did well at AS (is that before jan resists though), i think its a combination of Personal statement and lack of maths, i find that even more suprising seeing as you did far better than me at AS (i got ABDD) and got offer from exeter however i took up maths AS this year solely because i wanted to do Eco at uni, so maybe you should gap year at do maths.
Reply 22
jabed786
I dont think a gap year would be really boring. He could get a part time or full time job - earn some money for uni and make some 'work friends'. He could also study alevel maths to boost his chance...?

Ye i'm tempted to do maths a level
Reply 23
Why don't you go for one of the top unis with places available on extra, and when you get to the uni in september, just switch to straight econs? (loads of people do this!)
Reply 24
My boyfriend got rejected from 4 places for economics, it is a REALLY competitive course. I'd do ucas extra :smile:
Oh flip now I'm worried
SiaSiaSia
Oh flip now I'm worried
Dont be with such competitive courses the Personal statement is the most vital.
yoyo462001

I'm not even applying economics, this is just worrying =p
Reply 28
yoyo462001

so true.
make sure you have LOADS of extra curricular to support your course choice.
Even if you cannot get in this time you are not 'wasting' one year. During your Gap-year you do an internship to see if you are really that much into Economics or go abroad. Especially in such a flexibility demanding field oversea experiences are vital when looking for work later.
Reply 30
its definately because you do not have maths most of those unis are good for economics and so maths would be very important and avital a level for a bsc economics degree
Reply 31
123ajh

Paulwhy

So were AAA your prediction grades on the UCAS applications?
Yes

Then I guess your case is a case study in the value of A-level Maths when applying for Economics.
Here are the TAELT entries for your 5 unis:
7) Nottingham AAA/AABB M**p E**p 453 40% Student excess in 2008 So look for 7 or 8 GCSE A*s. Summary stats
10) St Andrews AAB 430 09 application experiences
12) Exeter (Ba) AAA-AAB m#a (But mainly AAA) M**p 397 --
14) York (c) AAB M**p m#ap 448
20) Birmingham (c) ABB (2010 AAB m#a) 410 ++ (Times 7th,Independent 12th,Guardian 4th)

The entries show that Notts, Exeter and York are all very open about strongly preferring applicants to have Maths. Notts are very much in a position to act according to what ever preferences they want. Exeter and York less so. But they are still strong enough to both able to demand that applicants have maths. St Andrews do reject high grade candidates without maths as this thread shows:
URL="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=749623"
Again Birmingham are very much on the up e.g. they are AAB next year and will be a top 15 uni in TAELT 2010. So they also can demand A-level Maths.

So I guess the conclusion is if you want to get into a top 15 uni to take a GAP year and do A-level Maths.

SiaSiaSia
I'm not even applying economics, this is just worrying =p

Yes with A-levels in French, German, History, Philosophy and Critical Thinking I agree that not doing an econ degree is a good idea. But I am just not sure how 123ajh's cause you worry.

yoyo462001

Yes PSs count. But to be honest unless the PS was full of hate towards Economists if 123ajh had done Maths he would have got offers from the likes of York and Birmingham.
A friend of mine with good gcses (all A*s and As), a-level maths already achieved and AABB predicted (incl. maths and further maths) was rejected for economics from nottingham, and when she asked for feedback they said they'd received many more applications from people with 'perfect' academic records this year than usual, so they were having to reject people with AAA predictions and brilliant gcses. So I guess it's partly down to your PS and then also a bit of luck, really.
Reply 33
angelmxxx
A friend of mine with good gcses (all A*s and As), a-level maths already achieved and AABB predicted (incl. maths and further maths) was rejected for economics from nottingham, and when she asked for feedback they said they'd received many more applications from people with 'perfect' academic records this year than usual, so they were having to reject people with AAA predictions and brilliant gcses. So I guess it's partly down to your PS and then also a bit of luck, really.

Yes Notts are extra hard to get offers from this year. e.g. asking for 7 or 8 GCSE A*s.

But that is not the reason for 123ajh's other 4 rejections. The reason for that is the lack of maths. e.g. here are the A-levels for an existing Birmingham Economics student:

A Levels
Business Studies A
Economics B
Mathematics C

AS Level
German D
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=189388
e.g. they missed the ABB offer and have a blacklisted A-level (Business Studies) and have 2 overlapping subjects Economics and Business Studies.
But they do have Maths
Reply 34
paul i sent you a message but i am not sure if you have realised yet??
Reply 35
123ajh
Ive seen Lancaster and Royal Holloway on extra as well as foundation economics at Durham. Would any of these be any good instead of reapplying next year?

Well the lack of maths may agin be an issue with Lancaster (who want it from 2010) and with RH (who will probably want AAA):
16) Lancaster X (c)AAB/AAbb/ABaa (2010 at least M* maybe M**) 394 Course becoming BSc soon

25) Royal Holloway X (c) ABB with A-level Maths/AAB with AS Maths b/AAA m#a M**p E**p 348

Whilst Durham is not designed for current A-level students

• The Social Science Programme is not suitable for current A-level students or those who have failed at A-level study within the last year.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/socialscience/entryrequirements/

So I still think taking a GAP year and studying Maths A-level is the best way forward. i.e. Maths is a qualification not just for getting into uni but the knowledge gained would also be used once you are there.

karlwavfc
paul i sent you a message but i am not sure if you have realised yet??

Well it was a repeat.
Reply 36
Bad luck OP, I really feel for you. I applied to Exeter and York too and my GCSES were worse than yours and my target grades were AAA at the time but I got offers. But I do Maths so maybe do that next year, reapply and I'm sure you'll walk it. Maybe get your PS and references checked as well. :frown:
Reply 37
Thanks for the help. It looks like il be doing Maths A Level next year
Reply 38
123ajh
Thanks for the help. It looks like il be doing Maths A Level next year

Any idea of what else you might do next year?
i.e. along with the Maths A-level.
Reply 39
Paulwhy
Any idea of what else you might do next year?
i.e. along with the Maths A-level.

What else could i do?

Latest

Trending

Trending