The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

volunteer work e.g. coaching a local sports team
Reply 41
123ajh
What else could i do?

Get some work experience?
(But more with the intention of improving your chances of getting a job after uni rather than improving your chances of getting into a good econ uni.)
Reply 42
123ajh
I've recently got 5 rejections to do Economics from,

Nottingham
York
Exeter
St Andrews
Birmingham

My A-levels are Economics, Biology, History which my targets are 3A's.

At GCSE i got 4A* 6A and 1B

Do you have any idea what is should do next? Clearing, UCAS extra, reapply next year? or Any Unis that might be still available?

Apart from what everyone has already mentioned, doing Maths, you could try beefing up your extra-curricular? I went to a talk about how to get in to unis and one admissions tutor said they would rather accept an average student with a part time job than a straight A student - that was the best advice I got, and I worked at Mcdonalds for 2 years and got into the uni and course that I wanted. You could do further maths AS, which would give you the whole maths a level in one year and get a part time job whilst you're at it, then apply again and you'd be sorted. Good luck x
Reply 43
Eden09
Apart from what everyone has already mentioned, doing Maths, you could try beefing up your extra-curricular? I went to a talk about how to get in to unis and one admissions tutor said they would rather accept an average student with a part time job than a straight A student - that was the best advice I got, and I worked at Mcdonalds for 2 years and got into the uni and course that I wanted. You could do further maths AS, which would give you the whole maths a level in one year and get a part time job whilst you're at it, then apply again and you'd be sorted. Good luck x

Thanks. Ive had apart time job for the last 2 years as well though
Reply 44
Eden09

That advice sadly will not be appicable to an economics applicant!

Davidosh
Manchester do an economics history and economics course that doesn't require maths and sounds more suited to your A level subjects and it'son UCAS extra

I would look into this course, 123ajh.
Reply 45
NesQuiK.
That advice sadly will not be appicable to an economics applicant!

I would look into this course, 123ajh.

Ye i have had a quick look at that but im just not sure whether i want to go to Manchester
Admissions tutors can say whatever they want.
At the end of the day, A-Level/IB Maths is the best metric for universities to use.
Reply 47
jabed786
I dont think a gap year would be really boring. He could get a part time or full time job - earn some money for uni and make some 'work friends'. He could also study alevel maths to boost his chance...?

yeah probably....but i would keep the gap year plan at the bottom of the list if I was in his place
Reply 48
waleedwal
yeah probably....but i would keep the gap year plan at the bottom of the list if I was in his place

Well without Maths A-level he will not get into a good Economics degree. So I don't think he has much choice.
Reply 49
Paulwhy
Well without Maths A-level he will not get into a good Economics degree. So I don't think he has much choice.

guess you are right...never studied economics so have no idea how important maths is if you want to pursue economics at uni.
Reply 50
Write to the unis and ask for feedback on why you were unsuccessful. If possible, spend the next year improving your applications based on the feedback given.

Maybe take A level maths in a year - that way you'll have it. Better than not.
Reply 51
Shayke
WRite to the unis and ask for feedback on why you were unsuccessful. If possible, spend the next year improving your applications based on the feedback given.

Maybe take A level further maths in a year - that way you'll have it. Better than not.

Well A-level Maths would be a start......
Reply 52
Paulwhy
Well A-level Maths would be a start......

I meant maths, not further maths, hehe. My bad.

Latest

Trending

Trending