The Student Room Group

For the Girls - Toning, Diet and Excercise a very basic guide - Please read!!

Some basic mistakes to your thinking and a guideline to follow

A very good news article on the subject:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jun/13/weightlifting-could-change-your-life

Tone
This is a horrible fail word. What the ‘toned’ look actually is, is a lower bf level coupled with higher levels of muscle mass creating the taught skin appearance.

I don’t want to get big

You won’t, if it was that easy every bloke you saw would have swole t-shirt guns and pecs that could crush walnuts. And it is even harder for women so do not be afraid of compound free weights.

If you are already slim

You are more than likely in the skinny fat zone, you are small and slight as your diet is probably high sugar high fat and little else, this has depleted your muscles and left you with flabby bits as there is no real muscle mass to hold it all taught.

E.g.

Spoiler

If you are overweight

You are in a better position than above, fat is very easy to loose if you listen to several on here and not to womens’ mags and stupid fad diets.

Diet wise
A more detailed guide now located here

Spoiler

Exercise

Spoiler

The bodyshape triangle - forget that 'Pear, apple, hourglass nonsese'

Spoiler

Sample weekly workouts

Spoiler

This is by no means complete, but get these things into your head and you will be on a much better track than ‘Help me, I want to tone my eyelid’ type comments.

PM or quote any specific questions if you want, I am sure someone on here can answer them’ probably before I read it lol

I will be working to update this information to include sample workouts designed by myself and by our Barbarelles soc
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks:smile: Looks like really good advice. for anyone who wants specific diets and exercise routines they can visit iwantsixpackabs.com

I found it very useful!( + it's free)
Reply 2
Hmmm I'll certainly give it a whirl. Sounds like fun :smile:
Reply 3
Adonis is gonna freak...
Why no love for dips and chinups man?
interesting. subscribes :biggrin:
Reply 6
Sir Tom Flash
Why no love for dips and chinups man?

While both awesome moves, I suspect that the average skinny fat or overweight girl will not be able to perform these movements
That's a fair point. There are plenty of skinny fat or overweight males though, and they still train towards them. Once the trainee becomes sufficient enough at pressing/rowing, they will be able to handle a fair few bw dips or chins. Just thought it was worth adding to your decent first post. :smile:
Powerlifter
While both awesome moves, I suspect that the average skinny fat or overweight girl will not be able to perform these movements

But shouldn't you be able to lift your own weight with your arms?
I can't, I am feeble :sad:

Actually I can hang and get up but I can't hold it or do another one.
Reply 9
tropical-twist3

Congrats! Thats more than i can do! I can do the monkey bars in the park yet i can't pull myself up on my boyfriends chin-up bar :o:
Reply 10
tropical-twist3

i can do one. with a bit of luck. then i collapse on the floor. it's a start...
tropical-twist3

you and me both :frown:

But I am 6ft and about 12st...soo....thats quite a lot to lift! :eek:
Reply 12
tropical-twist3
I can't, I am feeble

Its all relative, it doesn't suprise me that alot of girls can't even skinny ones, the diets they apply usually destroy muscle mass and leave them with little in terms of strength (these are obviously untrained girls) where as due to the lighter bodyweight it is not uncommon for a woman into sports to be able to perform 12 or more reps of chins/pull ups
Reply 13
Where did you get this info from? :eek:
Ooh, what are the best ways to do the HIIT programme ?
Reply 15
h82think
Where did you get this info from?

What info? The training or the pull ups?

the pull ups is a guesstimation from what I have seen women do when they are into athletics, lifting, and even dance (although think she got a bit less)
Reply 16
Nasher and Basher
Ooh, what are the best ways to do the HIIT programme ?

Depends on what you like, running, cycling, rowing, boxing, skipping etc take your pick.

The key to its sucsees is the intensity, it should be very high for a period, then a period of much slower, then high again. It will be varied as you become fitter but 30/30 second basis is good enough to begin with.
It is not easy, and not as easy as a lazy paced 40min cross trainer workout, but the results will be 10x better.
Powerlifter
Depends on what you like, running, cycling, rowing, boxing, skipping etc take your pick.

The key to its sucsees is the intensity, it should be very high for a period, then a period of much slower, then high again. It will be varied as you become fitter but 30/30 second basis is good enough to begin with.
It is not easy, and not as easy as a lazy paced 40min cross trainer workout, but the results will be 10x better.

So skipping is okay to do, do I need a certain type of skipping rope ? I am sorry of I am asking stupid questions.
Reply 18
Nasher and Basher
So skipping is okay to do, do I need a certain type of skipping rope ? I am sorry of I am asking stupid questions.

I liked to use a leather one, but thats just me, whatever you can skip fast with be it heavy or speed rope, 30 seconds fast as you can then 30 seconds lazy pace to recover.
With skipping there is a finite speed you will move the rope, so by all means up to 40 seconds on 30 off when it gets to this point.
And skip like a boxer! Tis the best way and improves hand, eye and foot co-ordination
Reply 19
I can lift more than you

Quick Reply

Latest