The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Definately go for Norfolk/Suffolk. The rooms are much bigger than the ensuite ones and you get a sink anyway. Like the person above me said, you won't find ensuite accomodation in your second year, and you really don't need it. I've spoken to a few people who live in them and they've said they wish they hadn't gone there; they'd rather have had the extra cash.

There's more people (14 per flat) so you get a better chance to meet someone you'll like.

In my experience, and from information from resident tutors, the ensuite accomodation is full of immature rich kids who cause more trouble. It's not unusual for them to get 30 fire alarms in a term (because some idiot has set it off on purpose, for 'a laugh') whereas in Suffolk terrace we've had one the whole time I've been here.

The layout of the buildings means you can see into other people's kitchens. This makes it easy to make friends in freshers week because you just wave everyone over.

And of course the fantastic view of the lake and the yearly pillow fight (Norfolk Terrace vs Suffolk).

Look on here if you want some photos: http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24226777682

Didn't mean to write so much, but hope it helps :-)
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 81
I wouldn't go for the pyramids not only because i'd prefer my own bathroom but the fact that they must get ridiculously hot in summer and on the open day the rooms we saw the windows barely opened. Also they seem really dangerous to get in and out of while drunk due to near enough vertical slopes for stairs and the fact you have to walk along an elevated pathway with a bellow chest high wall. Drunkenly fall to my death/injury? no thanks.
Reply 82
Granted, they do get crazy hot. It doesn't get too unbearable though, the fans do a good job.

The walkways really aren't dangerous, although I know what you mean about the low wall. If people fell off them regularly (or ever) they'd do something about them. And there are similar walkways all over the campus so if that's a problem for you I'd suggest going to a different uni.
Reply 83
I;ve tried the online application just now and did not work. I could not login, and register. When I clicked First time account creation, it went back to the same validate student page. I've got an conditional offer as my second choice.

Btw, can u choose which flat u want to go in village en-suit?
Reply 84
s2000_147
I;ve tried the online application just now and did not work. I could not login, and register. When I clicked First time account creation, it went back to the same validate student page. I've got an conditional offer as my second choice.

Btw, can u choose which flat u want to go in village en-suit?

you can't choose anything specific unfortunately you just choose a category e.g village en suite or campus en suite
Reply 85
Haha, sorry, I thought you were being serious.

Also, I didn't mean for my original post to be quite so negative. Calling the ensuite people "immature rich kids" probably was a bit much. :rolleyes:
Wherever you end up staying you will have a great year, it's a fantastic place and the people are lovely.
DaisyM
Definately go for Norfolk/Suffolk. The rooms are much bigger than the ensuite ones and you get a sink anyway. Like the person above me said, you won't find ensuite accomodation in your second year, and you really don't need it. I've spoken to a few people who live in them and they've said they wish they hadn't gone there; they'd rather have had the extra cash.

There's more people (14 per flat) so you get a better chance to meet someone you'll like.

In my experience, and from information from resident tutors, the ensuite accomodation is full of immature rich kids who cause more trouble. It's not unusual for them to get 30 fire alarms in a term (because some idiot has set it off on purpose, for 'a laugh') whereas in Suffolk terrace we've had one the whole time I've been here.

The layout of the buildings means you can see into other people's kitchens. This makes it easy to make friends in freshers week because you just wave everyone over.

And of course the fantastic view of the lake and the yearly pillow fight (Norfolk Terrace vs Suffolk).

Look on here if you want some photos: http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24226777682

Didn't mean to write so much, but hope it helps :-)

Thanks for all that. Now I really hope that I get my first choice!
Reply 87
What do you mean about the accommodation suiting your course?
Reply 88
So does anyone know anything about the studio flats? Apparently this is the first year they've been offered to undergraduates.
Solecism
What do you mean about the accommodation suiting your course?

He might mean location of where his course lectures are gonna take place (like...in the chemistry building?! :confused: ) and how close that is to his accomm, maybe!

But they're pretty close together on campus aren't they?
Reply 90
yea, that's what I meant.

Btw, I've sent the online application
1. Ensuite village
2. Ensuite Campus
Reply 91
Wow, I hadn't even thought about that... I mean, you can't choose which building you're in anyway...
LakeEffectKid
Now that I have your attention :p:, I would be really grateful if any of you living in accomodation at UEA could give me opinions on what it's like for you.

I don't think I could cope without an ensuite of some kind; was going to apply for the Village but have read negative things online about there being problems with crime and stuff, and also that it predominantly consists of international students (so I'm a little nervous about integrating etc :blushing:).

Ensuite Campus is £10 more per week, would you say it is worth it? Or is the Village in fact a-okay?

i live in constable terrace at the moment which is campus ensuite, and it is by no means full of immature little rich kids as someone suggested! the rooms and bathrooms are one of the biggest on campus and the kitchen is quite big and social. i love having my own bathroom, just makes everything that little bit easier and i imagine sharing a bathroom with lots of people you dont know would be a little uncomfortable for some for a while. while i did like norfolk/suffolk when i visited friends there i found it uncomfortably hot, even all the way through the winter so im glad i didnt live there! its very social at constable because of the nice outside area, we have loads of bbqs, outside parties and play sports outside during the day. its slightly further away from the main square than some of the other buildings, so if thaat bothered you nelson court would be better in that repect. and we havent had a single fire bell except for the uni testing them! lol, sorry to have prattled on for ages!
Reply 93
I have been in 4 different types of accommodation, The Village (where i live now), Norfolk Terrace, Constable and paston.

Tbh i love the village and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. The village rooms are a nice size, they are smaller then other places because the en-suite takes a chunk of the space. However it isn't too small and out of all the other accomadation i have been to i think uses the space best. The en-suite is quite small but for me was more than alright, all you will use it for is showering and going to the toilet. And if you're someone who spends ages getting ready in front of the mirror there is a full length mirror on the inside of the wardrobe. Prob one of my only complaints about my accommodation is the noise of the extractor fan in the en-suite, which is quite loud and takes a while to turn off (don't know if thats just me?). One of the best things about the village compared to other places IMO is the kitchen, unlike the horrible metal things i've seen in the other places, it is more of a proper kitchen. It has the same amount of hobs, grills, microwave/ovens that other places have but a lot less people share it. Ours is used between 6 people. The walk back from The village might be a probolem for some people, however for me was quite a good thing as i'm not a morning person and the walk to lectures forces me to wake up. It only takes me 5 - 10 mins to get to a lecture depending where it is.

I thought Norfolk Terrace was quite nice. The rooms are nice and big, and have big windows with nice views. They also have a sink with mirror. However you do have to share toilets and showers. But none of the people i have spoken to have had a problem with this. The kitchen is alright (very metal though) with nice views but is shared by a lot of people and is quite small for the number of people IMO. One complaint i have heard about this place is that the rooms can get quite hot. It is the cheapest accomadation which is a big plus!

Tbh i was quite disappointed with constable terrace, and was expecting a bit more for the extra money you have to pay compared to the first 2. The rooms are a nice size but i didn't think they used the space all that well with like a corner of empty space which people just seemed to throw their dirty clothes in (people i know anyway lol). The en-suite is bigger than the village's but this isn't a very big factor for me (maybe if you plan on spending a lot of time in there you might take this more into consideration). The kitchen is bigger than the first 2 places, from what i remember though they had the same number of hobs, girll etc as us in the village which suprised me because they have more people living there.

So anyway from what i have seen i would say save some money and live in The Village or Norfolk Terrace. However if you can afford it you might think about the more expensive accomadation, however i don't really see what you get for this extra money?

I think the main thing about anywhere that you live is the people you live with, if you are living with some nice people then you will get on fine anywhere.
The person i know who lives in Constable doesn't get on with hardly any of the ppl he lives with, as most of them just stay in their rooms and don't speak to anyone. I guess that could have contributed to my negative view of that place :smile:
I am yet to do mine. its been one of things i've been meaning to do for a while but just havent got round to it. was just about to send it off when i got struck by indecisiveness.

Firstly - if they had lets 4000 ensuit on campus apllications but only 3500 ensuite rooms on campus, how would they decide which 500 are the unlucky ones? is it first come first serve? if so, when did you send yours off?

Secondly - what were your preference order? and what were your general reasons for that order? did you go for the cheaper rooms first to save money? or a single room cos you wouldnt like to live with someone who dont know (thats true of me)?

Here's my preferences:
Room Type Residence
Single Ensuite Ensuite Campus (UG)
Single Ensuite University Village (UG)
Standard Single Norfolk/Suffolk Standard Single
Standard Single Orwell Close
Standard Single Mary Chapman Court (UG)
Two Bedroom Studio Flat 2 Bed Studio
Standard Twin Norfolk/Suffolk Standard Twin Shared

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Heyy :smile:

I have no idea how they choose the lucky ones..mayb from a hat or sumthin? But most ppl applied at the beginning of may when the forms went live on the website.

My first choice was norfolk/suffolk cos they're supposed to be more sociable, they looked nice and they're cheap so more money for going out lol. Then i put campus en suite next, then village cos I wouldn't want to share a room and I def wanna be on campus.

Wat course are u doing??

Hope this helped a bit :smile: xxx
where's mary chapman court?

and i'm now going for

ensuite on campus
norfolk / suffolk
ensuite in village
norfolf / suffolk shared twin room thing (but not with anyone i know. is this a good idea?)
orwell close
mary chapman
constable terrace 2 bedrom flat (should i put this in 4th or 5th instead?)

i'm so indecisive.
and also norfolk / suffolk standard twin to share - does that mean you have your own room or not. that goes for constable terrace too (but i figure you do get your room cos it s£85 a week instead of £50ish like in norfolk/suffolk twin)
Reply 98
Mary Chapman Court is in the city centre rather than being one of the halls on campus.

The twin rooms: I know quite a few people when I was in first year had a twin room to themselves, though did have to pay a little more for it (I have no idea how much though!)
Reply 99
Is there a specific type of accomodation reserved just for postgraduate or international students? I would also like to know if internet access is
available in all types of accomodation, and finally, I am really concerned on the matter of safety. Is living in uea, and Norwich in general, safe or has the number of thefts and assaults been increased?

Latest

Trending

Trending