The Student Room Group

Sometimes he's great, but when with his friends..

I've been seeing a guy for about 2 months, we've slept together and have since become closer. When I'm with him he's fantastic, he gives me butterflies in my stomach and makes me so happy.

But when I met him with his friends, he was completely different. he was a bit cold, he didn't touch/kiss me and he treated me like one of his boy mates. One time he told me to ring him in the evening after he had finished playing in a football match. I rung him and I could hear he was at his friend's house with others playing that football game all boys play. He was concentrating on the call at all, he kept giving me one word answers and I have a feeling he was playing the game whilst talking to me. So I said I'll ring him later when he's not busy and he replied 'whatever if you don't wanna talk just say so' and he hung up.

Wtf? Why does he have to be different when he's with his mates? He's such an amazing guy, he makes me feel great when I'm with him. I just hate the effect his friends have on him, he acts like 15 year old school boy when he's with them. Grrrrrrr.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anonymous
I've been seeing a guy for about 2 months, we've slept together and have since become closer. When I'm with him he's fantastic, he gives me butterflies in my stomach and makes me so happy.

But when I met him with his friends, he was completely different. he was a bit cold, he didn't touch/kiss me and he treated me like one of his boy mates. One time he told me to ring him in the evening after he had finished playing in a football match. I rung him and I could hear he was at his friend's house with others playing that football game all boys play. He was concentrating on the call at all, he kept giving me one word answers and I have a feeling he was playing the game whilst talking to me. So I said I'll ring him later when he's not busy and he replied 'whatever if you don't wanna talk just say so' and he hung up.

Wtf? Why does he have to be different when he's with his mates? He's such an amazing guy, he makes me feel great when I'm with him. I just hate the effect his friends have on him, he acts like 15 year old school boy when he's with them. Grrrrrrr.

:rofl: That would be Pro or Fifa. Just leave him alone and let him chill with his boys, you don't own him.
he obviously feels he cant be how is usually with you around is mates cos he wanst to fit in as one of the lads. try see it from his point of you and dont take it personally. i totally get why hes been like this.
Reply 3
I don't. I know guys tend to be different around their friends (to be fair, so do some girls), but he's just taking the piss. There's absolutely no need to be so immature.
Reply 4
Fifa comes before girls :talkhand:
Reply 5
You need to give a guy space. Let him hang around with his lad mates, and he'll be more happy to see you afterwards. Some guys take fifa/pro evo very seriously..
Reply 6
shabooyah_!
You need to give a guy space. Let him hang around with his lad mates, and he'll be more happy to see you afterwards. Some guys take fifa/pro evo very seriously..

Tell me about it! He plays it too much and it feels like he puts me to one side. I even asked him when I was at his once if he wants to play it with me and he laughed at me and said it'll be **** because I don't know anything about football and picking the right players and that I'll be crap at it. Upset me a bit but I'm just trying to show him he can have fun with me as well and not just with his friends.
Yeah, unfortunately I think most guys are like that =(
Reply 8
Anonymous
Tell me about it! He plays it too much and it feels like he puts me to one side. I even asked him when I was at his once if he wants to play it with me and he laughed at me and said it'll be **** because I don't know anything about football and picking the right players and that I'll be crap at it. Upset me a bit but I'm just trying to show him he can have fun with me as well and not just with his friends.

Sounds like a bit of a nob tbh...no offence. I know plenty of lads who act the same around their mates as they do around their girlfriends, and they're nice all the time. Your boyfriend shouldn't be any different.
Reply 9
Sorry, but there are rules. Girl's must not talk when football matches are on (or disrupt pro evo games!). It's just something you will have to accept. If you make him pick between you and the games console with his mates, he WILL pick pro evo, every time!
n0c0ntr0l
Sorry, but there are rules. Girl's must not talk when football matches are on (or disrupt pro evo games!). It's just something you will have to accept. If you make him pick between you and the games console with his mates, he WILL pick pro evo, every time!
Lol basically this, girls never seem to understand that whenever its between calling them or xbox they'll never win.
Reply 11
That's really unfair on you and he sounds really immature. Sometimes guys don't seem to realise that there is some middle ground between having a girlfriend who wants to control every aspect of their lives and have long phone calls at any time of the day or night and them doing absolutely anything they want at any time and having the girlfriend there as a convenience whenever "guy time" is over.

If you'd just randomly called him and he'd said he was at his mate's house and couldn't talk then, that would have been fine. But he TOLD you to call then, you were probably kind of looking forward to it, and he couldn't tear himself away from a bunch of computer-animated footballers to talk to you. And when you said you'd call back later he was rude to you. That makes his priorities pretty clear.

Maybe he is a nice guy, but he's definitely immature and some guys never grow out of that attitude, and he definitely won't if you let him get away with treating you like that.
I'm surprised he hasn't dumped you yet?!

How dare you to interrupt a game of fifa/pes

:ninja:
Er, Fifa? Guy is just playing some footie. Hard enough to concentrate without having to talk on the phone. He probably had someone else on his team. RELYING on him. Relying on him to work his magic midfield. RELYING. He can't let them down - do you want him to let them down? To conceed a goal? To go one nill down at the Nou Camp against Real? Is that what you want? Do you want that? No, no you do not. You don't see Ronaldo chin wagging down a mobile phone mid game do you? Nay. Football is serious bizzness.
What the hell, I've played Pro-evo with my boyfriend and his mates and even though I found it boring, I wouldn't say that my bf or his friends neglected me at all (first time meeting them too). Au contraire, they were actually really nice about it... which was oddly even more embarrassing cus I clearly sucked at it. And my bf asked them specifically before I came to not make me feel left out :love: and promised me that if I started to feel uncomfortable at any time, he'd take me out straight away :smile:

Your bf does sound a bit immature, but then I think it is understandable. Many people do act different in front of their mates (especially boys in an all boys scenario), so don't take it personally. Tell him but understand it's maybe normal for him to act like that around friends... And don't call/contact him when he's with his mates next time (although asking you to phone him and then acting prick-like is ridiculous).
Reply 15
You just described most males.
Reply 16

Give him some space. You don't want him to show weakness around his friends by being all lovely-dovely over you.
Reply 17
If he's with his mates try not to actually phone him, a text maybe, this means he can read when he's ready. He might start to get annoyed if you ring him every time he's with his mates, he cant give you attention all the time. Also if you dont contact him, next time its just the two of you, you'll have somthing to talk about.

As for the lack of affection when you met them, he could have been a bit nervous about showing affection towards you, just incase he got stick from them.
With my ex I just put my xbox down, I used to play on it every night but stopped playing for about 6 months straight so I could be with her :biggrin: But then again I didn't act different when round my ex, so I didn't mind.

I think you should just give him a bit of space, if he is with the lads he doesn't want to be soppy down the phone because they will take the piss. Also he is not immature like others are saying, he is just a normal teenage lad from what I can see.
Give the man some space. When he's with his friends he wants to have some fun. You need to accept the fact that no women will ever be more important than football; be it playing outside, playing on the computer or watching on TV, when men are involved. Its a fact of life and its better you accept it now rather than fight the natural order of things.

Latest

Trending

Trending