The Student Room Group

Am I just being a typical man, or is this something I really need to sort out?

Anon because people mentioned in this have used TSR.

Hey all, I'm 18, coming to the end of my first year of uni. Until the start of this year, I had no love life, I was lonely all the time, and could never get a girlfriend. This year however, my love life has flourished beyond belief, and I have had several offers on the girlfriend front. But suddenly, the very idea of a relationship makes me go "RUN!" and well, I have done. Somehow, the fact that I can get girls, has made me not want girls. I'm annoyed with myself for this.

I'm also confused as to how people react when they find out I'm a virgin, its always with a genuine suprise, as though they would have never believed it. People also assume its for some moral reason or something. But in truth I'm just waiting for the right moment. I've had offers that any other guy would be mad to refuse, but something just makes me want to step back and wait for the right moment (though perhaps not the right person so much).

So, where do I stand? Is this something I should seek to change? Am I supposed to go out there and take up these offers, get over my fears?

Or am I supposed to find some happy medium, unattached sex? casual relationships? You have to forgive me for saying, but I'm pretty sure those don't end well.

Or maybe I'm supposed to be lonely for longer?

Any guidance TSR?
Reply 1
It doesn't sound like anything's wrong... you're obviously just not looking for a relationship right now, so you can just enjoy the attention of girls without it leading anywhere if you don't want it to. You're not "supposed" to have casual sex/relationships, but you can if you want to. If you don't want a casual or a serious relationship, you don't have to have either. Hopefully this won't sound too cheesy, but it sounds as though you're just waiting for the right person, and that's OK. Having girls interested in you doesn't make you morally obliged to have sex with them!

Basically, I don't think you need to change anything, just do whatever you think will make you happy :smile:
Reply 2
Be a man. I suggest you have lots of casual relationships, the funny thing is the more unavailable you are the more women will want you. Commitment and monogamy are outdated concepts anyway.
Go out, eat some fangeeta, drink oft of the furry cup, bathe the furry axe wound in your healing saliva. If she has a boyfriend, fight him, drink some beer, be a bad ass.

Basically man the **** up!
Reply 4
What do you mean by the 'right moment'?
You refusng these offers and waiting for the riht person makes me admire you, your not being a typical man being like that!

A typical man would take these offers and just think about getting laid.

You are being sensible, just wait for the right person, but if you do like a girl dont think RUN think ok ill take it slow maybe this can go somewhere.
Reply 6
I'm the saem as you.

There was a point when I was hopeless with girls and didn't really have much friends in general. Then I became more confident and was scared of getting into a relationship for some reason. Now I'm alright though even though I'm still single..

The thing is, you've been wanting something so long and now that's its propped out of nowhere its quite stunning to realise you can actually do it. Just man the **** up and realise what you've achieved, and that your capable of doing so, and go out and get what you want..
Reply 7
How did you manage to turn your life around like that?
Lol I think the OPs real name is Trollie Trollison the Troll King of all that is Troll.

"Oh I am so sensative, I don't want all these girls I can get, I want to wait for the right girl, prehaps that could be you internet girl.
Prehaps we could watch a sunset go down while eating salad with dolphin freindly tuna as I compse a sonnet based upon the beauty of your eyes.
After which we can walk wistfully down the beach holding hands, my thoughts never on bending you over and pounding you like a hammer striking a nail*ahem*, no I want soft romance, candles and more estrogen in my body so I can identify with your needs rather than focusing on the throbbing pork sword I want to stick in your holiest of holes *ahem*.
You are the juliet to my Romeo, the Flower to my Bee, the lubricated wet heaven to my swelling......*ahem*
Reply 9
Powerlifter
Lol I think the OPs real name is Trollie Trollison the Troll King of all that is Troll.

"Oh I am so sensative, I don't want all these girls I can get, I want to wait for the right girl, prehaps that could be you internet girl.
Prehaps we could watch a sunset go down while eating salad with dolphin freindly tuna as I compse a sonnet based upon the beauty of your eyes.
After which we can walk wistfully down the beach holding hands, my thoughts never on bending you over and pounding you like a hammer striking a nail*ahem*, no I want soft romance, candles and more estrogen in my body so I can identify with your needs rather than focusing on the throbbing pork sword I want to stick in your holiest of holes *ahem*.
You are the juliet to my Romeo, the Flower to my Bee, the lubricated wet heaven to my swelling......*ahem*

I'm probably one of the least sensetive and emotional people you'll meet, I'm just distant, thats all. Nevertheless I laughed at the pork sword stuff.

But thank you all for the advice, it looks like I've got some serious manning up left to do.
Reply 10
Just a thought, but "manning up" and thinking about nothing but sex might actually make you less attractive to women, taking you back to square one... Women LIKE guys who aren't out to get sex at any cost. Well, OK, some go for "bad boy" types but the ones that like you obviously like guys like you, so if you change they may lose interest.
Reply 11
When I say manning up, I mean building myself inside. Powerlifter I think is getting at how hypocritical it all sounds, I’ve got all these women around me but I’m embarrassed about it all. Honestly, I love the attention! Believe me, I can be as horny as the next guy, it’s just that the timing isn’t right. I need to stop being so insecure, only its a tough habit to break.
Reply 12
pinkflamingoes
You refusng these offers and waiting for the riht person makes me admire you, your not being a typical man being like that!

A typical man would take these offers and just think about getting laid.

You are being sensible, just wait for the right person, but if you do like a girl dont think RUN think ok ill take it slow maybe this can go somewhere.

It annoys me when women assume the majority of men are out for sex - It just happens that the only men they seem to go for are the ones that are interested in it.

Anyway, I agree with the rest of what you said :P No need to feel pressured into "manning up".
Janos
It annoys me when women assume the majority of men are out for sex - It just happens that the only men they seem to go for are the ones that are interested in it.

Anyway, I agree with the rest of what you said :P No need to feel pressured into "manning up".

I wasnt assuming i was just saying it like the thread started said. 'Typical man'

I hate it when people stereotype i really am against it so much and just you thinking i am stereotyping makes me angry.

I dont stereotype and i wasnt doing it there i was just trying to refer to it like the OP.

Latest

Trending

Trending