The Student Room Group

MChem or BSc URGENT

right, I'd like to do a chemistry degree and I'm undergraduate i assume as im currently at a 6th form doing a-levels.

What's the difference between MChem and Bsc, is one better to have than the other? etc

These "M" degrees tend to be masters don't they so am i looking at postgraduate??

Is Mchem harder but more rewarding???

Scroll to see replies

The MChem is a masters level course which you can get funded by your local authority. its good for getting you a masters level qualification.

I've spoken to a few employers on their view of the MChem vs. MSc. in chemistry and to be fair they prefer the MSc. the biggest problem you have is with the funding of it, if you are to do an MSc you need to have it funded by yourself or try find someone to sponsor you to do it. the MChem is funded by the student loans company as its a course that will take you on to a masters level in teh same institution as you study your first three years in which you would get a BSc.

i would strongly suggest looking at unviersities and comparing what they do for their BSc programmes and then looking at the MChem programmes and comparing those to the MSc Programmes that are offered by that institution in a lot of cases you will see that they are different in some areas but the same in others. it really does depend what you want to do. I looked at doing am MChem at Bangor until I found out that in 4th year i do very little research and spend a great deal of time working on a website on a specific topic and really I don't want that so if anything i would prefer the MSc if i was going to masters level but its all down to the individual and whether funding is there or not. its the best way to get a Masters level qualification if you want to because its still undergraduate fees.
I'd advise you to apply for MChem/Msci degrees over BSc's for funding reasons - you can always convert to the BSc qualification later.
MChem/MSci definitely, as Eier said it is easier to drop down than go up in terms of funding from your LEA.

In terms of employment I'd say it is more fair to compare those with the MChem to those with the BSc, chemical employers tend to prefer the former.
Reply 4
f45
right, I'd like to do a chemistry degree and I'm undergraduate i assume as im currently at a 6th form doing a-levels.

What's the difference between MChem and Bsc, is one better to have than the other? etc

These "M" degrees tend to be masters don't they so am i looking at postgraduate??

Is Mchem harder but more rewarding???

Definitely go for MChem over BSc. Most chemistry employers now prefer this undergraduate Masters degree as the extra year of study can make a real difference - this could be a year spent on a research project or working in industry or something similar. It certainly should make you more employable or could lead to further postgraduate study/research (e.g. PhD) as well.

Many universities now recruit to MChem or BSc simply depending on how good your A level results are likely to be. Some only recruit to MChem or MSci but do allow you to swap to BSc if you choose to or they recommend it if your marks suggest you will struggle with the additional year.

So go for it and apply for MChem - if one of your chosen universities doesn't think you are up to managing the MChem then they will probably offer you a place on the BSc instead.

Have you got any particular universities in mind yet?
Reply 5
Aethelred
Definitely go for MChem over BSc. Most chemistry employers now prefer this undergraduate Masters degree as the extra year of study can make a real difference - this could be a year spent on a research project or working in industry or something similar. It certainly should make you more employable or could lead to further postgraduate study/research (e.g. PhD) as well.

Many universities now recruit to MChem or BSc simply depending on how good your A level results are likely to be. Some only recruit to MChem or MSci but do allow you to swap to BSc if you choose to or they recommend it if your marks suggest you will struggle with the additional year.

So go for it and apply for MChem - if one of your chosen universities doesn't think you are up to managing the MChem then they will probably offer you a place on the BSc instead.

Have you got any particular universities in mind yet?

The entry requirements for mchem seem to be around ABB, which seems quite steep. Did you say I could apply for MChem not get those entry requirements and get those of the BSc and be offered a aplace kinda thing?
Reply 6
what do know need to know to pass a first year degree in chemistry
Reply 7
f45
The entry requirements for mchem seem to be around ABB, which seems quite steep. Did you say I could apply for MChem not get those entry requirements and get those of the BSc and be offered a aplace kinda thing?

It probably depends on your predicted grades and what subjects you are doing. A university might make an offer for the MChem if you might achieve those grades. Or they might just offer you a place for BSc if your predicted grades are much lower than their standard offer for MChem. Alternatively they can make you the standard MChem offer and then on results day, if you fail to reach the standard they need for MChem, they could still offer you a place on the BSc instead. It depends on which universities you are considering and what your predicted grades are really.

I would always recommend applying for the longer course (the MChem) as it is much easier to swap to the shorter course (BSc) rather than trying to increase the length of your course. Easier in both terms of within the university and for your student finance, I mean.

I'd suggest going to some Open Days and talking to some Chemistry Admissions Tutors - tell them you are considering the MChem and what your subjects are and what grades you think you will get and see what they say.
f45

I applied for MChem at Sussex, and the offer was ABB, but I was told that if I didn't make that, but got BBB, I would be automatically put onto the BSc
Reply 9
i need to know any books to read for a mchem degree for chemistry i am starting next year
Reply 10
MChem definitely. I'm gonna start my MChem in October. If your not sure whether you want to do BSc or MChem, most unis advise you to do MChem. As people have already said, you can always change, but this decision should usually be made by the 2nd year. Also most unis offer the same entry requirements for both the MChem and BSc.
Reply 11
I applied to Exeter for BSc in Phys as I thought it could be a good insurance choice. They offered with a ABB and when I was interviewed, they questioned as to whether I would rather do a MSci. The offer would have been the same. So don't assume that if you miss a grade, you will be offered a BSc instead (even though Brum and Leicester do). As others have said before, MSc is better to get sorted for funding rather than BSc and ask for more money.
Reply 12
whats so urgent about it?
daniel_williams

I've spoken to a few employers on their view of the MChem vs. MSc. in chemistry and to be fair they prefer the MSc.

Do you know if MSc degrees are accreditted by the RSC? Their webstie only mentions MChems. It would be something to consider. Although I agree that an MSc is better either way, from a recognised uni at any rate.

I have been told that people who get a distinction (essentially 70% with a few more conditions) in their MSc get to transfer onto a pHd, and study for 2 more years whereas MChems who recieve a 1st still need three.
JayB124
Do you know if MSc degrees are accreditted by the RSC? Their webstie only mentions MChems. It would be something to consider. Although I agree that an MSc is better either way, from a recognised uni at any rate.

I have been told that people who get a distinction (essentially 70% with a few more conditions) in their MSc get to transfer onto a pHd, and study for 2 more years whereas MChems who recieve a 1st still need three.

MSc's are accredited by the RSC, as for the 2 years on top of a MSc i think you'll find its 3 years regardless and in some cases a PhD can last up to 4 years maybe more.
daniel_williams
MSc's are accredited by the RSC, as for the 2 years on top of a MSc i think you'll find its 3 years regardless and in some cases a PhD can last up to 4 years maybe more.

Might just be Liverpool Uni that do the 2 year thing but you really have to be super.
Reply 16
JayB124

An MSc is really not better either way. It largely depends on what you want to do after you get the qualification. If you want to do a PhD the most normal route is to do an MChem and then straight into a PhD provided you get an upper second or first class honours degree. However, the vast majority of MChem degrees involve extra research project(s) - if this isn't the case where you are considering then it wont be so attractive for carrying on to a PhD. I'd consider this aspect carefully when choosing where you do your MChem.

Some people use an MSc after a BSc to work towards applying for a PhD - this can be useful if you get a lower second class degree initially as people will sometimes regard it as 'adding a class' to your degree and hence will consider you for a PhD. However, this will not mean you can do a PhD in two years - you will still need to spend a further 3 years in total.

Most highly ranked Chemistry departments will now prefer a high quality MChem qualification for those applying for PhDs. As someone else said above, one important factor is that MChem degrees are undergraduate degrees and are therefore funded by your local authority for 4 years study. However, an MSc is a postgraduate degree and therefore does not attract any funding - you will have to find a scholarship or other funding for the cost of the tuition and other fees and well as living costs. A PhD is also obviously a postgraduate degree but there are usually more opportunities to get funding for those as research councils will fund 'studentships' to cover the full costs of fees and living expenses for 3-4 years. These are awarded to the University who then decides who to appoint to the post and you are treated more like an employee in terms of receiving a salary while you carry out the research.

Sorry this has got so long but I hope it helps.
Aethelred
However, this will not mean you can do a PhD in two years - you will still need to spend a further 3 years in total.

Liverpool admission pHd page:

"... the optional route that students who hold a research MSc degree, may study for a further two years in order to satisfy the requirements for the award of a PhD degree."

It would depend on the institution and how they structure their masters and their first year pHd courses. I have heard Reading do the same. These aren't the best Unis in the world but they are still very good in their speciality fields.
JayB124

"... the optional route that students who hold a research MSc degree, may study for a further two years in order to satisfy the requirements for the award of a PhD degree."

It would depend on the institution and how they structure their masters and their first year pHd courses. I have heard Reading do the same. These aren't the best Unis in the world but they are still very good in their speciality fields.

But Liverpool don't require an MChem or MSc to enter a PhD directly anyway. The issue really is that some universities do require that level of qualification and by not doing an MChem or MSci you would increase the cost of going on to a PhD at those institution (which include a significant number of good chemistry departments such as Imperial College). Thus it is fair to say that just doing a BSc would limit your choices on purely financial grounds later on.
Reply 19
JayB124

Well Liverpool certainly isn't that highly ranked but good enough for some things as you say and Reading is worse.

Chemistboy's advice is spot on and worth noting.

However, a big issue here is that all you quote is something that says it is possible to only do two further years study to get a PhD that doesn't mean to say it will happen. Most Chemists will tell you that it requires really hard work to get enough results together in three years to write a PhD thesis (that's certainly what I found!). I don't believe many PhD supervisors would expect/allow anything less than about 3 years for practical work towards a thesis and I hope they make that clear when they take people on.

Latest

Trending

Trending