The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Photos of runnymede

Hey, i'm hopefully moving into runnymede 2 in september :smile:
Theres been a few pictures up but not many, could anyyyoone who has any photos of the rooms possibly put them up?

Would be very grateful, and im sure lots of others would be too!
Cheers (:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Kentkid
Hey, i'm hopefully moving into runnymede 2 in september :smile:
Theres been a few pictures up but not many, could anyyyoone who has any photos of the rooms possibly put them up?

Would be very grateful, and im sure lots of others would be too!
Cheers (:

Right, just had an excuse to use my new camera :biggrin: Here's an in-depth look at a Runnymede 2 room and kitchen:

Room:

Taken from the door:

From the far corner of the bed:

Wardrobe with door open (mirror on inside):

Storage between bed and wardrobe:

Storage above wardrobe:

From bed down towards chair and desk:

Bed:

Storage:

More shelf space:

The long thin mirror is the door to a small cupboard in the bathroom:

A vid of the bathroom:

Kitchen:

From the door:

Table and chairs:

Fridges & hob/oven (all the cupboards are food & utensils storage)

Corner 1:

The sinks (on the ground floor, the empty gap has a washing machine in it!)

Other corner:

Back towards the door:

Corridor, taken from the flat door; kitchen is the first door on the right (out of the picture) just to give you an idea of layout

Hope this helps a bit :biggrin:
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
I really think that looks good. Is it en-suite?
Reply 3
Thank you very much!! May I ask if Highfield Court rooms are quite similar to these ones?
Oh and BTW, does the shower flood easily?
Any advice truly appreciated!!
Reply 4
Thanks SO much! really really appreciate this :smile: its so good to know what the place you'll be staying for a year properly looks like - you've been a great help!

I have a few questions if thats alright?
Basically i was wondering does the room come with a lamp?
Is it a good idea to bring a fan or anything or is it a fairly decent temp.?
Are all the rooms the same size or does it vary slightly?
And i noticed in the bathroom the shower curtain doesnt go to the ground? is it effectively a wet room?

Thank you!
Yeah all rooms come with a lamp, though they're usually ageing so I'd bring your own decent one. Rooms are all standardised in Runnymede and although I haven't watched the video if the shower is anything like the one in Runnymede 1 or Gowar and Wedderburn it'll be a wet room.

Whoever asked if the shower floods easily, er, haven't heard of that happening to anyone really.

I like the effort you've gone to with the photos apotoftea :biggrin: I did the same for Founder's last year :P
Reply 6
PureAppleJuice
I like the effort you've gone to with the photos apotoftea :biggrin: I did the same for Founder's last year :P

Haha - what I found hard was to get a good enough photo of the whole room - too many doors and corners in the way!

Kentkid
Basically i was wondering does the room come with a lamp?

Yup, you get a stop lamp/lighty thingy - they're ok, you'll need the main room light on at night too. Mine gets really hot though :s-smilie:

Is it a good idea to bring a fan or anything or is it a fairly decent temp.?

It's a very good idea; not for winter as the heating does work rather well but probably September/October and then April/May onwards you'll need it. My room is currently baking as once the building's warm, it stays warm. Also depending on which block you're in you've got to think about the sun! My room faces east so I get the morning heat as it were! If you do bring one, hide it away when you're not in otherwise the moaning housekeeper may say something about it :rolleyes:

Are all the rooms the same size or does it vary slightly?

Exactly the same size; unless you're lucky enough to get a disabled room on the ground floor.

And i noticed in the bathroom the shower curtain doesnt go to the ground? is it effectively a wet room?

Pretty much yes! It's about a 3 inch gap but the base of the shower is lower than the actual bathroom floor if that makes sense? Have never flooded it but I do constantly clean the drain etc (disgusting job but has to be done, otherwise you WILL floor your bathroom and your room as they're a gap between the bottom of the door and the step too to let steam out). Keep your door shut whilst having a shower though and keep your window open - otherwise the steam can set the fire alarms off.
Reply 7
Elpinix
Thank you very much!! May I ask if Highfield Court rooms are quite similar to these ones?
Oh and BTW, does the shower flood easily?
Any advice truly appreciated!!

Highfield is exactly the same but the kitchens have been re-done I think so they just look newer.

WokSz
I really think that looks good. Is it en-suite?

It is indeed :biggrin:
Reply 8
That's also what Kingswood II looks like (though with smaller kitchens as it's catered). Good effort :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you!
Reply 10
Thank you, these are really useful!

I'm gonna have to be so selective about my clothes though; my wardrobe is twice that size and I can barely fit more [Primark, so it's not too bad if I can't take them] clothes in it.
Reply 11
From the looks of it, it's really not that different compared to Wedderburn where I stayed in my first year. The appliances and fittings within the kitchen and the rooms are very similar if not exactly the same. You're only lacking perhaps a bit more storage and a double bed.
Reply 12
apotoftea - Thank you for pictures they are fab, got to ask if tescos deliver to runnymede halls and is the space under the bed storage or wasted? You're a lifesaver for us fresher types!
Saenia
apotoftea - Thank you for pictures they are fab, got to ask if tescos deliver to runnymede halls and is the space under the bed storage or wasted? You're a lifesaver for us fresher types!

Yup, Tescos definitely deliver (I've not used them personally) but flatmates have deffo had food arrive by that means!

Space under the bed is storage actually, should have said. You take off your mattress and lift the backboard as such. It's quite a good size, especially for stuff like suitcases etc

Thanks for the rep too :biggrin:
Reply 14
apotoftea
Yup, Tescos definitely deliver (I've not used them personally) but flatmates have deffo had food arrive by that means!

Space under the bed is storage actually, should have said. You take off your mattress and lift the backboard as such. It's quite a good size, especially for stuff like suitcases etc

Thanks for the rep too :biggrin:

Thanks very much, glad bed is storage. Also we was wondering about the hairdryer thing where if it's over 500 watts it'll fuse the entire building or something :/ Can't even find a hairdryer that small so what do people do? Just use whatever they've got and keep their fingers crossed?
Saenia
Thanks very much, glad bed is storage. Also we was wondering about the hairdryer thing where if it's over 500 watts it'll fuse the entire building or something :/ Can't even find a hairdryer that small so what do people do? Just use whatever they've got and keep their fingers crossed?

Mine's a 1600W and I've not blown up anything yet (even on full power and other stuff plugged in the same time)

IMHO it's the kitchens you have to watch. The number of times someone's blown the kitchen fuse and then not noticed that the fridges are off is loads currently. It's just common sense though (and it's usually the international students who blow them with their rice cooker, microwave, kettle and toaster all at the same frigging time!)

I have never had the kettle & toaster & microwave or any combination on at the same time and it's been fine.
thanks for the photos, i was just wondering during the holidays and such do you have to take everything with you, (if so i'm not looking forward to that train journey) or is there locked cupboards that you can leve things in while you're away?
Lit_Student
thanks for the photos, i was just wondering during the holidays and such do you have to take everything with you, (if so i'm not looking forward to that train journey) or is there locked cupboards that you can leve things in while you're away?

I've had a 50 week contract so been able to leave everything in my room and the kitchen; if your contract is 38 weeks, it'll be the same :smile:
Reply 18
apotoftea, I know this sounds like a really weird question, but please could you measure your window? I want to get blackout curtains so need to know the dimensions.

Thanks in advance!!
apotoftea, I know this sounds like a really weird question, but please could you measure your window? I want to get blackout curtains so need to know the dimensions.

Thanks in advance!!

Haha - that's the best question so far! And you're helping me procrastinate - need to finish my chapter 3 :woo:

Ahh actually speaking of curtains - those of you on the BACK of block W (so in my flat, that's rooms 5-8) you don't get a nut curtain as you've not overlooked. Get one anyway (couple of quid in Staines) as it'll stop all the bugs coming in when your light is on for the first couple of weeks you're in halls. Autumn right through to about June time you'll be fine but it's just really annoying.

Actual curtains that are in the rooms are really good - heavy and thick. I face east currently and never get woken up by sunrise which is good. They're pretty heavy duty.

Ok, my window is:

Height/Depth: 1.08m (going from very top of the plastic window casing to very bottom)

Width: 1.54m (from very left of plastic casing at bottom to very right)

Quick Reply

Latest