The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

www.2pass.co.uk

It gives you random set of questions every time.
Keep doing that time after time after time.

It works, trust me.

At the top go to "theory" and then select "take a mock theory test" and choose whether you are taking a car or motorbike test.
Reply 2
thunder_chunky
www.2pass.co.uk

It gives you random set of questions every time.
Keep doing that time after time after time.

It works, trust me.

At the top go to "theory" and then select "take a mock theory test" and choose whether you are taking a car or motorbike test.

Thanks. Should I not study the material before doing questions?

How can I prepare for the hazard perception portion?
Reply 3
I think the pass mark is about 43/45 out of 50? I got 48 and just did a weeks worth of learning answers to questions off by heart and learning how to do hazard perception.

This CD is fantastic, It gives you mock tests on theory and hazard perception, tutorials, shows you how to do manouvers and shows a mock practical, well worth the money - thats what I used

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/6128028/Driving-Test-Success-All-Tests/Product.html
Reply 4
gangsta316
What's the best way to prepare for my driving theory test? Everyone seems to say that it is easy but don't you have to score very highly on the multiple choice, and isn't the hazard perception difficult?

get a cd to practice on i recomend Driving test sucess ( has a picture of a woman ripping an L plate)

i passed with this CD today :smile:
Use a driving theory test CD, works well. I passed first time using one of these.

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 6
I used the NDS game for theory and just had a PC disc for hazards. It is easy BUT only if you do prepare for it. A lot is common sense but i know friends who have just walked into it not doing any revision and failing!
If you have a NDS get the game it is awesome.

43/50 for MP
44/75 for HP

I would say 1 Weeks of doing it everyday is enough, when you start acing the tests like 48+ for MP and 60ish for HP book it ;-)

Good luck.
Reply 7
I did this:

http://www.theory-tests.co.uk/

Skimmed over it for a week and passed easily. All the questions used on the actual test are on there.
Reply 8
I'm guessing the mods will be moving this to the motoring section soon :smile:

Try a forum search OP, this comes up quite often.

Personally, I found CD Roms the most helpful to revise from. The pass mark for the multiple choice test is fairly high, and some people find hazard perception more difficult than others. Just practice lots and it'll be fine.
It is actually easy, the multiple choice questions 90% of it is common sense. The hazard perception takes a few goes to get used to it, i spent about 2 hours the morning of my test revising off a cd and got 48/50 and 62/75.
Reply 10
I obtained the CD software. It seems that it will be very helpful. But how do I study before doing the questions?
Reply 11
If you want to be bored, read the highway code. Alternatively just go through the questions and learn from the ones you get wrong. After a couple of hours you'll know all the answers. Like someone said above, the majority of them are common sense.
Reply 12
You are on a motorway. There are red flashing lights above every lane. You must...

You are on a motorway in an Active Traffic Management (ATM) area. A mandatory speed limit is displayed above the hard shoulder. What does this mean?

Your vehicle is parked on the road at night. When must you use sidelights?

How am I to know the answers to such questions? Do I just keep doing these questions or is there something I can learn from?
gangsta316
You are on a motorway. There are red flashing lights above every lane. You must...

You are on a motorway in an Active Traffic Management (ATM) area. A mandatory speed limit is displayed above the hard shoulder. What does this mean?

How am I to know the answers to such questions? Do I just keep doing these questions or is there something I can learn from?

It's multiple choice fool. Common sense.
Reply 14
gangsta316

The information you need to learn to answer these questions are found in several places:
# The Highway Code
# Driving - the essential skills
# subject matter taught by your driving instructor
# This book: http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp?trackid=002068&FO=1207772&DI=603453 which gives you all the background info in a narrative format. Study this and it won't matter if the questions are multiple choice or not; you should be able to answer any question in your own words.
Reply 15
To answer your specific questions, here's where to look:

gangsta316
Highway Code Rule 258

Highway Code Rules 261 & 269

Highway Code Rules 249 & 250
Reply 16
I revised the night before, read the highway code, do many questions (Alot are repeats on a different slant) and I ONLY watched the hazard parts of the hazard videos. TO get an idea of the hazards. Passed first time.

Although I can't pass a theory test anymore.....
Reply 17
I just found out that this software includes the highway code. Do I need to know all sections of it or are there only certain sections I need to know for my theory test (i.e. the stuff which is pertinent to car driving)?
Reply 18
gangsta316
I just found out that this software includes the highway code. Do I need to know all sections of it or are there only certain sections I need to know for my theory test (i.e. the stuff which is pertinent to car driving)?

Well obviously you don't need to know stuff only relevant to bikes, but you'll need to have an understanding of everything in it really.
Reply 19
I got a copy of the DSA theory test book for the 2007/08 season. Will this book be ok or is it outdated? It seems ok because I recognize some of the questions from the (2008/09) software I was using. I think I prefer this to doing questions using the software because there are explanations provided. Rather than reading the highway code, could I go through all the questions in the book (1 section per day for example) and then use the software's mock tests (rather than teaching myself using the software's questions)? Is that a good idea? Also, this book says on the front cover that it contains every question you could be asked in 2007/08. So is this really the question bank they use to select 50 random questions from? So if one read through this book and did the test in 2007/08, would they have seen all the questions on the test before?

I'm not sure what to do about hazard perception though. There is stuff for it on the software but it's only one hazard per video clip and is quite easy; you just click when you see a cyclist coming across the road or something obvious like that. I also don't get what the flags at the bottom mean.

I've some questions which I'm unsure about:

You are turning right onto a dual carriageway. What should you do before emerging?

A - Stop, apply the handbrake and then select a low gear
B - Position your vehicle well to the left of the side road
C - Check that the central reservation is wide enough for your vehicle
D - Make sure that you leave enough room for a vehicle behind

The correct answer is C. I think I understand why but what's wrong with A?

Your vehicle is fitted with a navigation system. How should you avoid letting this distract you while driving?

A - Keep going and input your destination into the system
B - Keep going as the system will adjust to your route
C - Stop immediately to view and use the system
D - Stop in a safe place before using the system

Here the correct answer is D and I understand why, but again, what's wrong with B?

Thanks for any help.

Latest

Trending

Trending