The Student Room Group

The Alternative Economics League Table (TAELT) 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Updated Manchester to includes it's resit policy.
23) Manchester (Ba) ABB m#c resit AAB[BSc AAB M**B E**p resit AAA] 408 (Times 38th(39th),Independent 32nd(36th),Guardian 30th) Offers/Places: (BA) BSc
Reply 181
Have reformated and extended the comments at the end of post 1
What Admission Statistics are there?
Admission Statistics for all the RRC and RC unis
For each of the top 11 unis have collated for each year:
i)Applicants
ii)Offers
iii)Places
and from those 3 key variables derived:
i) Applicants per Place
ii)Applicants per Offer

Why is LSE above Oxford and Cambridge?
LSE is ranked as the hardest to get into on the basis that there is no interview to sell yourself at.
Oxford is higher than Cambrdige due to the higher applicants per offer at Oxford (between 9 and 16 at Oxford c.f. between 5 and 6 at Cambridge).
But at that extreme point of the table, features specific to your application may determine that one or another of the unis is harder to get into:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=18408574&postcount=61

This is an issue on which there is not universal agreement (to say the least!). But I would say that if you want to apply to one uni out of LSE and Oxbridge and have not got stand out academics (esp. in terms of GCSE A*s), then I would suggest Oxbridge over LSE as at least that gives you an oppurtunity to sell yourself as an Economist and hence stand out that way,

What changes have there been in this section since 2009?
+Cambridge AAA to AAA* (maybe!)
+UCL AAA to AAA* M**A*
+Warwick AAB to AAA
+Bristol AAA-ABB to AAA-AAB
+Bath AAB to AAA-AAB
Edinburgh BBB to BBB M**B/M*A
Reply 182
Paulwhy
Have reformated and extended the comments at the end of post 1

PaulWhy, Would I be underapplying If I am predicted AAA, achieve AAB and go to Royal Holloway/City/Queen Mary possibly SOAS if I get AAA

At both their open days I met people who had AAB but wanted to stay in London, which is the kind of dilemna I'm currently facing.

I hopefully want to move on to postgraduate study so maybe staying in London is cheaper, live out in halls first year then years 2 and 3 commute from home.

My other problem is the Maths. Im predicted AAA Econ, Geog and History, feel like I can achieve AAA* (A* in History, got 89% this year with hardly anywork) so I might take a gap year which will probably prepare me better for moving out and thus allowing me to complete the A2 in Maths, Im taking AS Maths next year with A2, doing extra lessons as well not only in 6th form but at a college in West London (evening classes with them) as I feel Maths is the only part letting me down, I can, God Willing, pretty much get straight A's in the other subjects but Maths is going to require more work then Ive put in.
Reply 183
hamzab
PaulWhy, Would I be underapplying If I am predicted AAA, achieve AAB and go to Royal Holloway/City/Queen Mary possibly SOAS if I get AAA

At both their open days I met people who had AAB but wanted to stay in London, which is the kind of dilemna I'm currently facing.

I hopefully want to move on to postgraduate study so maybe staying in London is cheaper, live out in halls first year then years 2 and 3 commute from home.

My other problem is the Maths. Im predicted AAA Econ, Geog and History, feel like I can achieve AAA* (A* in History, got 89% this year with hardly anywork) so I might take a gap year which will probably prepare me better for moving out and thus allowing me to complete the A2 in Maths, Im taking AS Maths next year with A2, doing extra lessons as well not only in 6th form but at a college in West London (evening classes with them) as I feel Maths is the only part letting me down, I can, God Willing, pretty much get straight A's in the other subjects but Maths is going to require more work then Ive put in.

Start your own thread.
(i.e. I can tell it will not be short discussion :smile: ).
and include your actual AS grades and GCSE grades.
Reply 184
Paulwhy
Start your own thread.
(i.e. I can tell it will not be short discussion :smile: ).
and include your actual AS grades and GCSE grades.

Ok will do one when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks
Reply 185
Updated the Lancaster entry to reflect that it requries GCSE grade b.
Reply 186
Paulwhy
Updated the Lancaster entry to reflect that it requries GCSE grade b.

The course is a BSc now. I graduated with BSc Honours this summer. The change was applied reterospectively to anyone who hadn't graduated.
Reply 187
otu1987
The course is a BSc now. I graduated with BSc Honours this summer. The change was applied reterospectively to anyone who hadn't graduated.

Added that in as well.
Thanks and hope you have a ncie time at Notts.
The post is very helpful. I have decided that I'm going to apply to UCL. However I had a C for Psychology As so I don't know whether I could stand a chance. Can you give me any advise?

I'm looking for universities in London only, considering UCL is a realistic choice, what other universities do you think I should look into? ( others than LSE )

I'm thinking about a 4th Alevel as well. Do you think it's worth doing it intensively? I've got Accounting in mind but I saw it is in your black list. Should I do another Science subject like Physics?

Thank you.
Silence_seeker
The post is very helpful. I have decided that I'm going to apply to UCL. However I had a C for Psychology As so I don't know whether I could stand a chance. Can you give me any advise?

I'm looking for universities in London only, considering UCL is a realistic choice, what other universities do you think I should look into? ( others than LSE )

I'm thinking about a 4th Alevel as well. Do you think it's worth doing it intensively? I've got Accounting in mind but I saw it is in your black list. Should I do another Science subject like Physics?

Thank you.

Seems as though currently you have Psychology, Accounting and (hopefully) Maths. A combination of suitable, semi-suitable and not suitable subjects, with one from each group. Not good so far. And with a C in Psychology, um, your chances of getting to UCL are not great. But if your aim is to get to a university based in London, then there are still a few to choose from, e.g. Royal Holloway, Queen Mary.
Reply 190
Silence_seeker

Thank you.

Post in a new thread: I can tell this is going to take a while. :smile:
Include:
GCSE grades
AS subjects and actual grades
A2 propsoed subjects and predicted grades
goldsilvy
Seems as though currently you have Psychology, Accounting and (hopefully) Maths. A combination of suitable, semi-suitable and not suitable subjects, with one from each group. Not good so far. And with a C in Psychology, um, your chances of getting to UCL are not great. But if your aim is to get to a university based in London, then there are still a few to choose from, e.g. Royal Holloway, Queen Mary.

Well I'll just keep Psychology as in AS level so UCL doesn't required more than a C. I'm currently doing Maths, Further Maths and Economics which I think are suitable for an Economics degree.
Silence_seeker
Well I'll just keep Psychology as in AS level so UCL doesn't required more than a C. I'm currently doing Maths, Further Maths and Economics which I think are suitable for an Economics degree.

Oh, from your first post I misunderstood that you are only taking Psychology, Accounting and Maths. Now it seems we're having exactly the same subject combination :p: are you going to drop Accounting?
goldsilvy
Oh, from your first post I misunderstood that you are only taking Psychology, Accounting and Maths. Now it seems we're having exactly the same subject combination :p: are you going to drop Accounting?

Well I hvnt even started it yet :smile:) I'm thinking whether it's worth it tho. It seems like every single vietnamese studies the same subjects lol
Silence_seeker
Well I hvnt even started it yet :smile:) I'm thinking whether it's worth it tho. It seems like every single vietnamese studies the same subjects lol

Jolly good then. Don't take Accounts. Extremely boring and tedious(unless you like doing the same stuff all over again), relatively easy, though not really motivating and mostly important - not respected. Not recommended. Didn't do a proper research, now regretting some of my choices. Worst of all, none of the teachers even mentioned that Accounts is a blacklisted subject. I even had to print out the Cambridge list for my school tutor, as she only had heard some rumours that there is such a thing as non-preferred subject, but she didn't have any specific details. Okays, rant over. In short, would suggest taking something in lines of science subjects, geography or history. You will only be able to learn AS though, right? Or thinking of taking AS+A2 in one year?
goldsilvy
Jolly good then. Don't take Accounts. Extremely boring and tedious(unless you like doing the same stuff all over again), relatively easy, though not really motivating and mostly important - not respected. Not recommended. Didn't do a proper research, now regretting some of my choices. Worst of all, none of the teachers even mentioned that Accounts is a blacklisted subject. I even had to print out the Cambridge list for my school tutor, as she only had heard some rumours that there is such a thing as non-preferred subject, but she didn't have any specific details. Okays, rant over. In short, would suggest taking something in lines of science subjects, geography or history. You will only be able to learn AS though, right? Or thinking of taking AS+A2 in one year?

Sadly enough I'm thinking about doing AS and A2 :frown: It just seems like what I have achieved and what I want is not on the same page. I do regret about my choice though. I shouldn't have done Psychology as it was too much for me. All the applicants for UCL or LSE all have 4 a level and it seems worthless if I ever apply to UCL with this kind of grade i think.. I think I have to have some deep thinking about what subject to do now.
Paulwhy

quote from nottingham uni admissions:

"Further Maths is not essential and you would not be asked for a specific grade in it if you are taking it."

if this is any use?
Hi,
Grades and stuff:

GCSE's: 4A*'s, 7 A's
A levels: 4A's in Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Sociology.

I'm currently considering applying to UCL, Warwick, Notts, Bristol and Exeter. Is this a good set of choices? I've looked through the TAELT lots and it seems like a good spread.

I recognise that not having economics as an A level is a weakness in my app. but I think I've picked the unis with the lowest weighting on it. Thanks for any help.
Reply 198
DriftingBore
Hi,
Grades and stuff:

GCSE's: 4A*'s, 7 A's
A levels: 4A's in Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Sociology.

I'm currently considering applying to UCL, Warwick, Notts, Bristol and Exeter. Is this a good set of choices? I've looked through the TAELT lots and it seems like a good spread.

I recognise that not having economics as an A level is a weakness in my app. but I think I've picked the unis with the lowest weighting on it. Thanks for any help.

I think it is worth you posting in your own thread.
Paulwhy
I think it is worth you posting in your own thread.

Random quote

Just went to an open day for bath and thry said AAA not aab/aaa also they hinted towards lenience towards a grade a igcse maths (which I did) and they said they do contact schools for as results.

Quick Reply

Latest