The Student Room Group

Would doing an Access Course be worth it

I am 19 and currently at college studying Health and Social Care. Not quite sure what I want to do in the future thinking of something within Healthcare. My local college are doing an Access Course in Nursing and Healthcare and I was thinking about doing it next year. It seems like it covers alot and it could open up quite alot of jobs. The problem is though I am not sure if I want to go to university so would it be a waste of time doing the Access Course?
Reply 1
Jodie2
I am 19 and currently at college studying Health and Social Care. Not quite sure what I want to do in the future thinking of something within Healthcare. My local college are doing an Access Course in Nursing and Healthcare and I was thinking about doing it next year. It seems like it covers alot and it could open up quite alot of jobs. The problem is though I am not sure if I want to go to university so would it be a waste of time doing the Access Course?

It's not really worth much outside of progression to university. It might be worth deciding whether you want to go to university or not first before enrolling, unless you have nothing else to do at the moment.
Jodie2

Yes. An Access course isn't a qualification. It's a way to get into uni. That's all.
agreed with other 2 posters, an access course isnt worht the paper its written on, other than perhaps any gcse equivalents you may gain. having said that, its a great way into uni!!! im off to study chemistry at reading this year after studying a science access course, having no previous qualifications!

so think carefuly, but they are great opportunities!!

:headbang:
correction (sort of)

An access course is actually a diploma - wether anyone will recognise it as a worthy diploma 'on its own' is another matter.. but a dilpoma still the same. :>
lol This just goes to show how little people know...

OP: An access diploma is used (usually) for university access only. HOWEVER, if you do an access to health and social care (and say you worked in a care home/health care facility) it is seen as higher than an NVQ 3, but not as high as an NVQ 4. You would be able to gain access to health and social care NVQ level 4 and/or the registered manager's award and run/manage any health care unit/care home in the country. There are also lots of things in the NHS you can do with an NVQ 4 and the registered manager's award. This is what i did, AND went to uni also on top of that.

Most access courses are, however, entry to uni...but not always :wink: It really depends on the nature of the course.
Suis Je Bovvered ?
lol This just goes to show how little people know...

OP: An access diploma is used (usually) for university access only. HOWEVER, if you do an access to health and social care (and say you worked in a care home/health care facility) it is seen as higher than an NVQ 3, but not as high as an NVQ 4. You would be able to gain access to health and social care NVQ level 4 and/or the registered manager's award and run/manage any health care unit/care home in the country. There are also lots of things in the NHS you can do with an NVQ 4 and the registered manager's award. This is what i did, AND went to uni also on top of that.

Most access courses are, however, entry to uni...but not always :wink: It really depends on the nature of the course.

Sorry, first you say that this thread 'proves' how little 'we all' know, then after some dribble about managing a care home, you then proceed to contradict yourself and agree with the rest of us.

Will agree though that each course is different, but access courses have now become standardised.

In actual fact, after completeing the course you receive a HE Diploma certificate. This is said to not be a formal qualification, but as previously said, is a diploma all the same.
stellatommo20
Sorry, first you say that this thread 'proves' how little 'we all' know, then after some dribble about managing a care home, you then proceed to contradict yourself and agree with the rest of us.

Will agree though that each course is different, but access courses have now become standardised.

In actual fact, after completeing the course you receive a HE Diploma certificate. This is said to not be a formal qualification, but as previously said, is a diploma all the same.

No, i don't contradict myself - i simply say the main reason to do an access course is to gain entry to university, i did NOT say it was the only thing you can do with it. Learn to read a post.

As for the 'dribble' as you call it, i think that information is directly suitable for the OP's question and needs. In future, if you want to troll threads, go elsewhere - thank you so much :smile:

Edit: I will not argue with you on a thread, if you wish to talk about this matter further, please PM me, as it isn't fair to the OP.
Reply 8
There are people on my Access course who don't plan to go on to Uni. I think most of them are already in the health profession though, such as working in a care home or as an auxillary nurse.
Reply 9
Access courses are meant for MATURE STUDENTS, yet they have been hijacked by young brats.
Reply 10
Original post by RandyMann
Access courses are meant for MATURE STUDENTS, yet they have been hijacked by young brats.

Is your life really so empty that you have to troll for your fun?

Access courses provide ACCESS to higher education. Younger people can choose to do them over A levels, as it's only a year, but isn't as weighted as A levels, so it's a bit of a risk. All the people that have dropped out of my course are on the more mature end of the spectrum, whilst the youngest ones are working hard and making good progress with universities.
Reply 11
Original post by ½+½
Is your life really so empty that you have to troll for your fun?

Access courses provide ACCESS to higher education. Younger people can choose to do them over A levels, as it's only a year, but isn't as weighted as A levels, so it's a bit of a risk. All the people that have dropped out of my course are on the more mature end of the spectrum, whilst the youngest ones are working hard and making good progress with universities.

The OP is obviously a troll but IMO he does actually have a point.

Access courses were originally designed for older students (21+ I think) and then the age limit was removed more recently.

One issue some people may have is that Unis generally consider 21+ to be 'mature', so if you are 19, 20 or 21 offering an Access course you might have to explain why you haven't gone the traditional A-level route.

Personally I don't think Access courses should be used by younger students with poor A-levels (without good reason) as a backdoor entry to Uni........
Reply 12
Original post by Jodie2

You can do an access course at your age, but thy are really for old people.
Reply 13
Yes an access course is worth it if you want to move onto University and I am 90% sure that if you were to decide not to go into Higher Education, you would probably regret it!

Most people in these days are not recognised if you have not obtained a degree, as so many people go on to university. If you plan on getting anywhere in life then a degree shall help!

For the people who have said University is for older people, that is the most simple minded thing I have heard! I have done A-Levels and I studied and tried but I am awful in exam conditions, so when I heard about the access course I jumped straight at the chance and I have just turned 21 and have received nothing but Level 3 Merits and Distinctions. Most the people in my class are around my age and we are doing exceedingly well and have all been accepted into our universities. Everyone deserves a second chance and seeing as everyone has there own academic styles, I do not think anyone can be the judge of who and who shouldn't be allowed on the course.

Thank You
Original post by Jodie2

good question you have asked Jodie2 is a Recognised Access Course worth the time as well as all that hardwork you have to put in to obtain the credits and in so doing so obtained the Access diploma.

Speaking as someone who is currently doing a Pre-Access course at the mo and is finding it to be a lot of work even at this level but saying that i am glad i am on my current course as its developing a lot of skills that i didnt know i had.

I am also meeting people from all different ages and backgrounds at the same time which is always nice as you can develop some lasting friendships even when the said course ends.

I think if you get yourself on a Access to He diploma that is recognised by universities as providing you with not just a academic qualification but giving you the necessary skills as well as knowledge to succeed on your chosen degree.

Then i would say doing a Recognised Access course is well worth it.It gives you a national recognise qualification that universities will accept and gets you up to the required A level standard in one year sometimes 2 years if you do the part-time option.
also universities also recognise that students who do the Access to He diploma course are well equiped to cope with the demands of a degree and what all that entails
(edited 13 years ago)
I am 20 years old. I have just started a Business Access to higher education. I don't think I would be able to cope with uni, so have gone into the course with the idea that it may enable me to progress to a better job. However, after doing more research on the matter, it is only really useful if your wanting to go to university. Should I continue with the course, or is it a waste of my time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending