The Student Room Group

About cancelling jobseekers allowance

I recently attempted to sign on a few days ago, and they pulled me through the ropes aka ringing me and filling out forms etc. They have been really hesitant about wether I can actually claim it due to my boyfriend having a student loan (and me living with him) and only today they just sent me a letter saying that I might still not be eligible because I left my last job and I didn't get fired (lol).

Edit: They didn't actually tell me wether I was eligible for it or not despite me telling them countless times about my situation in detail. They didn't listen to me on the phone when I informed them of my situation, they still said it'd be fine and now it has turned out it isn't, but it;s still hazy and unclear because they seem to know absoluitely nothing.

So basically I don't want to be on this ****** benefit where total yobs who don't even want to be working get this money yet I can't because I am living with my boyfriend, and I have realised I'd rather go moneyless than have no dignity left, so I need to cancel. They have scheduled an interview for tomorrow or some **** but I can't be arsed, I have applied for many jobs which they wouldn't have even looked into for me.

So how do you go about cancelling a claim? Do you just ring them up? I really want to have nothing to do with them anymore..
Reply 1
Call them and tell them. It's really annoying if you just don't turn up
Reply 2
rakata
Call them and tell them. It's really annoying if you just don't turn up

Yeah I'd feel bad if I didn't turn up too. Are you sure if you just ring them and tell them that it'll stop or will they bombard you with questions again?
Reply 3
Loo
Yeah I'd feel bad if I didn't turn up too. Are you sure if you just ring them and tell them that it'll stop or will they bombard you with questions again?

just tell them you cant attend the interview because you have an appointment for a full time job :smile: and thus you dont need to claim dole money :smile:
You know something it's not just people 'who can't be arsed to work' that sign on to benefits, but i will not go into that subject. If you was to go there anyway and explain yourself like you have on here without swearing, you will find that they might actually make you get away with it and give you money. They can't refuse not to anyway. If you prefer to suffer and struggle then do so.
Reply 5
Loo
I recently attempted to sign on a few days ago, and they pulled me through the ropes aka ringing me and filling out forms etc. They have been really hesitant about wether I can actually claim it due to my boyfriend having a student loan (and me living with him) and only today they just sent me a letter saying that I might still not be eligible because I left my last job and I didn't get fired (lol).

Edit: They didn't actually tell me wether I was eligible for it or not despite me telling them countless times about my situation in detail. They didn't listen to me on the phone when I informed them of my situation, they still said it'd be fine and now it has turned out it isn't, but it;s still hazy and unclear because they seem to know absoluitely nothing.

So basically I don't want to be on this ****** benefit where total yobs who don't even want to be working get this money yet I can't because I am living with my boyfriend, and I have realised I'd rather go moneyless than have no dignity left, so I need to cancel. They have scheduled an interview for tomorrow or some **** but I can't be arsed, I have applied for many jobs which they wouldn't have even looked into for me.

So how do you go about cancelling a claim? Do you just ring them up? I really want to have nothing to do with them anymore..

They shouldn't be looking into your BFs income. It's based on you as a individual not you household. Just go and get your money
living with boyfriend - I doubt it.
Reply 7
ziggycj
They shouldn't be looking into your BFs income. It's based on you as a individual not you household. Just go and get your money

The bf is the partner though and the partner's income gets assessed doesn't it?

Just be honest with them. They really won't care that you're not coming in as I'm sure nearly all job centres are way too full as it is lol.
Reply 8
If you fit the criteria - you may as well claim for it - I mean you will be paying tax in the next job you get anyway, so you will really be just getting your own money back :shrug:
I know people in your position. They don't qualify.
If I was in your position I'd kick up a fuss. When the job centre tried to swizzle me out of JSA money that I was legally entitled to I wrote a letter of complaint to my MP and he in turn wrote a letter of complaint to the job centre. This got me an apology for the "unacceptable" manner in which I'd been treated and an appointment with the manager of my local job centre.

The job centre is notoriously rubbish and does all it can to reduce the amount of benefits you can claim (this is typically only applicable to people who are genuinely looking for jobs though, as benefit scroungers always seem to get money handed to them on a plate), and if you don't kick up a fuss and stand up for your rights, you won't get anywhere.
(this is typically only applicable to people who are genuinely looking for jobs though, as benefit scroungers always seem to get money handed to them on a plate),

what an arse to post bilge like this!
Reply 12
I didn't mean that ALL people who apply for it are yobs - I got a bit angry in my OP because I didn't understand why my boyfriends STUDENT loan was expected to pay for me to live too, after all, it is his student loan and is meant to pay for him to live and for his uni equipment. When I went into the jobcentre I was ignored for half an hour before they realised I was there whilst old men who were CLEARLY not wanting to get a job - meaning they were standing around openly chatting about how they didn't want one - got attended to before me.

There has been confusion on the phones as apparently the guy who I first spoke to about claiming didn't seem to think there was any problem with me living wth my boyfriend, and then someone else DID think there was a problem, and now I am being told that I can't get it because I wasn't fired and that I left of my own accord (which the reason was to move to scotland).

I don't know if I am actually entitled to it or not - the jobseekers people will not tell me. I have asked them and they gave me answers such as "well we'll see once you have filled out this questionnaire" or "we'll just have to wait and see" (I mean for ***** sake)

I just want to be rid of it all. I am going to search for jobs by myself, and my boyfriend is oging to apply for adult dependancy grant.

I just don't know how to actually go about quitting! Wether I ring them up or what?
Reply 13
This is so goddamn stressful , I have applied to countless jobs and none of them have gotten back to me :frown: This is only temporary aka for a year before I finish my part time english course and get into uni (hopefully) but who wants to be moneyless for a whole year?

I have had serious migraines and stuff about this
hypocriticaljap
(this is typically only applicable to people who are genuinely looking for jobs though, as benefit scroungers always seem to get money handed to them on a plate),

what an arse to post bilge like this!

Never been to any of the job centres in Bradford then, I take it? Whilst waiting to sign on in Bradford last week (thankfully the last time I'll have to go there seeing as I've managed to get myself a job) I heard a man actually say that he'd given up looking for jobs, only to be told to expect his JOB SEEKERS allowance in a few day's time, despite the fact that he should be ineligible for it if he's not actively seeking employment. I saw a chavvy woman saying she can't look for work at the moment because she's got "bowel disease" (obvious lie considering she was on the phone whilst in the queue to sign on organising a night out! Strange disease that will allow her a night out on the razz but won't allow her to apply for a few jobs), but again, she was told she'd still get her JSA later that week despite not even giving any proof of this supposed disease. It's unbelievable that stuff like this is allowed to go on whilst people like the OP are denied support!

You try going to my local job centre and then see if you don't come out thinking the same thing as me.
If I were you I'd stop posting. You are just belittling yourself with every post.
Reply 16
fabulous_darling
Never been to any of the job centres in Bradford then, I take it? Whilst waiting to sign on in Bradford last week (thankfully the last time I'll have to go there seeing as I've managed to get myself a job) I heard a man actually say that he'd given up looking for jobs, only to be told to expect his JOB SEEKERS allowance in a few day's time, despite the fact that he should be ineligible for it if he's not actively seeking employment. I saw a chavvy woman saying she can't look for work at the moment because she's got "bowel disease" (obvious lie considering she was on the phone whilst in the queue to sign on organising a night out! Strange disease that will allow her a night out on the razz but won't allow her to apply for a few jobs), but again, she was told she'd still get her JSA later that week despite not even giving any proof of this supposed disease. It's unbelievable that stuff like this is allowed to go on whilst people like the OP are denied support!

You try going to my local job centre and then see if you don't come out thinking the same thing as me.

This is so true, there were these sort of people in the jobcentre in dalkeith, but they were all men. I felt stupid for even making the effort to look nice when they were all looking very scruffy and not the sort of attire you'd wear out if you were going to pick up a job application form or anything! And they had all established relationships with the staff there, obviously people who hjad been going in for months and months and months, yet I could actually hear them talking about how they had given up getting a job / were enjoying the money whilst doing no work.

The staff paid more attention to them than they did to me, despite me being the only obviously serious person in the whole building. I signed in at the register bit at the front, yet was sitting waiting for 15 minutes before anyone noticed I was here, only to be greeted by a man with "um are you supposed to be here?"

After my first interview I go upstairs to the second one, where the same thing happens, and a woman comes up to me saying "who are you supposed to be seeing" and I told her, and she was obviously so fed up that she went back to her desk and shouted "I'm not a bloody receptionist here you know! Just so you all know" and the entire office went deadly silent!

It was bloody terrible to be honest

Latest

Trending

Trending