The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

you'll get used to it
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
wear in-ear headphones in bed. preferably plugged into an ipod playing some nice relaxing music.

i personally cant get to sleep without doing it!
Reply 3
If you really want earplugs, I'd be surprised if Boots doesn't sell them :smile:
Reply 4
Last night apparently one of our roomates was thrashing out A-KON at 4am...pissing everyone else off but me who for some reason slept through the whole thing! And I am such a light sleeper!

Anyway, personally, I am always really paranoid about ear plugs in case an alarm goes off, or someone is knocking on my door, or in some form my attention is needed. But if you feel secure and are really suffering then surely boots will sell them?
xx
I got some from Boots before I came, but found it actually much easier to sleep here than at home! They're very good at blocking noise out, but they make my ears ache so have to take paracetamol in the mornings (not sure if that's because I use them with sleeping tablets as well though!)

I think they were about £2.99 for a pack of 8
Some people seem to have the opposite problem. I know of a few people who slept through McIntosh's fire alarm at 3:30 on the first night!
Sleeping through a fire alarm is quite impressive...

I will keep my eyes open for earplugs. If it's any consolation, I think things will probably start calming down a bit soon. More people will need earlier bedtimes and the wardens will probably be less tolerant of excessively loud parties.

If you think the loud doors are going to be a longer-term problem, you could talk to the hall commitee and see if there's an affordable way of stopping the doors flom slamming so loudly. I was going to suggest the little rubber cushionny stick-on things, but I don't think they would be allowed on fire doors.
Reply 8
ImperceptibleNinja
Sleeping through a fire alarm is quite impressive...

I will keep my eyes open for earplugs. If it's any consolation, I think things will probably start calming down a bit soon. More people will need earlier bedtimes and the wardens will probably be less tolerant of excessively loud parties.

If you think the loud doors are going to be a longer-term problem, you could talk to the hall commitee and see if there's an affordable way of stopping the doors flom slamming so loudly. I was going to suggest the little rubber cushionny stick-on things, but I don't think they would be allowed on fire doors.

Its irritating, all the doors are new but yet the one in the hall is already partially broken so it bangs when it shuts when it should really just fall through as its one of those swinging doors. It's mainly the bathroom door that bangs when it shuts...my room backs onto the bedroom and I can hear everytime someone flushes the toilet..

Another thing, I went to DRA and met some guys and they have a spare room in their flat. Whats the chances of transfering from Regs to DRA? I'm not set on it..but its just an option. Not really fitting with anyone in my hall, they're all american and doing IR.

:confused:

We have yet to have a fire alarm test, but apparently the ones here make you jump out the bed.
Reply 9
Yeah, my room door rattles every time another door in the building closes - not good as I'm right beside the bathroom and back door. As other people have said, I'm sure Boots or Superdrug will have earplugs.
Oxy
Its irritating, all the doors are new but yet the one in the hall is already partially broken so it bangs when it shuts when it should really just fall through as its one of those swinging doors. It's mainly the bathroom door that bangs when it shuts...my room backs onto the bedroom and I can hear everytime someone flushes the toilet..

Another thing, I went to DRA and met some guys and they have a spare room in their flat. Whats the chances of transfering from Regs to DRA? I'm not set on it..but its just an option. Not really fitting with anyone in my hall, they're all american and doing IR.

We have yet to have a fire alarm test, but apparently the ones here make you jump out the bed.

Ahh... maybe report the broken door and they'll send someone to fix it. Also, you could stick a note in the toilet says 'I can hear you pee' :rolleyes: Or if the noise is coming through the wall, you could move your bed to be against a different wall.

If you decide you want to change rooms, I expect a good starting point would be to contact studacc (student accommodation services) and explain why you are interested in transferring. You would also probably want to be quite specific that you want that room in particular. The only problem with waiting is that someone else could be transferred to that room before you ask about it.
I know Regs is pretty central and will probably have more American IR students than average... but a lot of Americans are very loud and are currently delighting in the wonders of being able to drink. It makes it feel like there are even more of them. McIntosh seems flooded with rather loud/drunk/American characters, but I'm pretty confident there will be plenty of other students who don't fit that stereotype. I do think it would be wise to give Regs a good chance before making a decision :smile:
ImperceptibleNinja
Also, you could stick a note in the toilet says 'I can hear you pee' :rolleyes:

:rofl:
be thankful you dont have to listen to rap music, police sirens 24/7
Oxy

You should so move to DRA, it's awesome here! :yep:
Reply 14
Quo
Yeah, my room door rattles every time another door in the building closes - not good as I'm right beside the bathroom and back door. As other people have said, I'm sure Boots or Superdrug will have earplugs.

What hall you in? Last night I had my first full nights sleep eventhough it was only like 6-7 hours..had a jog at 7:30 which was fun :eek3:

And sorry guys I couldnt come tonight, I'll be at the next meet though! :woo: Maybe we can meet in the raisen, thats an awesome pub.
Reply 15
Oxy
What hall you in? Last night I had my first full nights sleep eventhough it was only like 6-7 hours..had a jog at 7:30 which was fun :eek3:

And sorry guys I couldnt come tonight, I'll be at the next meet though! :woo: Maybe we can meet in the raisen, thats an awesome pub.

During freshers?Impressed!! lol :P

But yeh, I'd give regs a chance, it will probs settle down once we get into term, and people have more of a routine....and report the door, and that should be fixed and no longer a problem :wink:

Good luck!

....ps think I saw you yesterday night, walking towards the union! ...not that that would be very unusual....
Reply 16
sophie_c
During freshers?Impressed!! lol :P

But yeh, I'd give regs a chance, it will probs settle down once we get into term, and people have more of a routine....and report the door, and that should be fixed and no longer a problem :wink:

Good luck!

....ps think I saw you yesterday night, walking towards the union! ...not that that would be very unusual....

Haha well my first two nights were quite heavy, so the last few days I've been takin it easy and jogs seem to help :tongue: If it was the night with the peace rave, then probably. I didn't stay long, the music was kinda not very ravey if you not what I mean.

I've not been sleeping well, and after 8:30 painters outside my window make a bloody racket so theres no chance of sleeping after breakfast anyway.
I would give it a chance, In McIntosh it's apparently 49% Americans but they don't bite :p: As ninja said they just haven't really been able to drink like they can here before so you can understand a bit of the novelty for them. They'll blend in soon enough I imagine :smile:

Also the fire alarm wasn't a test :p:
Reply 18
Boots sell both foam & wax earplugs last time I had need for them. The wax ones are infinitely better, but a lot of people think they are 'gross' so opt for the foam ones. Being Boots they are both hideously expensive for what they are mind.
Reply 19
lost eden
Boots sell both foam & wax earplugs last time I had need for them. The wax ones are infinitely better, but a lot of people think they are 'gross' so opt for the foam ones. Being Boots they are both hideously expensive for what they are mind.

I had a look in boots but I couldnt find any, nor could I find any in Superdrug. Directions to them in the store? :biggrin: Aslong as I can sleep well I'm willing to pay over the odds!

Latest

Trending

Trending