The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I could tell you that zwitterions came up in the first question, but I don't have the paper so thats all I can remember!

And in answer to the question about bio- i revised the ENTIRE AS and A2 course for the unit 5 exam (missing out large chunks of units 2 and 3, there just wasn't time!), so I'm gonna go over all the notes again late friday morning and try an essay from a past paper. Id do it sooner, but theres a history exam friday morning as well :frown:
Reply 21
Ramaya
In January they asked that horrible question on rust that I just hated.

I remember that well. Recall the whole equation for rusting!? That was a beast. It's worth remembering though.

All the best for tomorrow, whoever happens to be sitting it.
Reply 22
Synkronized
I just had three nervous breakdowns over electrode potentials lol. I purposely left the steel story till last to revise!

I have to get an A in chemistry.. and if i don't improve tomorrow on the exam, that means getting 95/120 on the synoptic next week. Do-able, yes, probable, NO :frown: .

25 mark essay sounds incredibly nasty btw for the AQA exam :s

why won't any of this chemistry go in?! argh!

I have to get 80/90 tomorrow, cos then my mark from last years chem by design will get me an A :biggrin: But, my mark for this paper alays sucks, even when i think i am confident with it!
Reply 23
AmS
OP
kohlstream
I dont, and i dont have a scanner, but it's sitting on my desk! Is there anything particular you wanted to know, or did you want the whole paper/

was there much on electrode potentials and electrochemical cells in the one in jan at all?
Reply 24
AmS
was there much on electrode potentials and electrochemical cells in the one in jan at all?

''complete and label the diagram below to show how you would set up an iron-copper cell in the lab' (3)

calculate Ecell for this iron-copper cell (1)

give an equation for the overall cell reaction in i

(the answer was Fe+Cu2+ ---------> Fe2+ + Cu etc)

''the first stage of rusting involvesd the oxidation fo iron to iron (II), use the electrode potentials given above to explain how the precence of copper causes rusting to become more severe' (3)

the addition of copper and other elements to mild steel modifies the structure of the rust layer. This enables Corten steel to aquire a protective coating. suggest one way in which the physical properties of rust have been modified (1)
Reply 25
kohlstream
''complete and label the diagram below to show how you would set up an iron-copper cell in the lab' (3)

''the first stage of rusting involvesd the oxidation fo iron to iron (II), use the electrode potentials given above to explain how the precence of copper causes rusting to become more severe' (3)

the addition of copper and other elements to mild steel modifies the structure of the rust layer. This enables Corten steel to aquire a protective coating. suggest one way in which the physical properties of rust have been modified (1)

I liked that question (except for the last bit - i still dont' understand the answer even though i have the mark scheme!)

But yeah, I'm a physics person so i kind of get that kind of stuff.. but then DNA.. i can't understand that for the life of me :s-smilie:
Reply 26
AmS
OP
kohlstream

cheers for that! now i remember the rusting question, that was awful!lol
The rust is no longer hydrated (it forms an impenetrable layer), so the water can't penetrate the rust to the iron below and continue rusting, thus rust is prevented.

Edit: the physical change is that the rust is no longer permeable to water, or that the rust isn't hydrated (i think that would be accepted...no markscheme tho.)
Reply 28
'' rust is no longer flaky/layer adheres (more strongly) to steel / impermeable AW''

I assume AW stands for alternate wording
I just worked out a moles question! (throws a mini party) it was a rather fiendish one too, involving mols=mass/molar mass AND conc=mols/volume!

Excuse the enthusiasm, these easy calculations have cost me nearly half the marks at a-level chem.

Now, just gotta learn the rest of the syllabus :frown:

Good luck everyone, I'm off to cram madly!
Reply 30
Synkronized
I just worked out a moles question! (throws a mini party) it was a rather fiendish one too, involving mols=mass/molar mass AND conc=mols/volume!

Excuse the enthusiasm, these easy calculations have cost me nearly half the marks at a-level chem.

Now, just gotta learn the rest of the syllabus :frown:

Good luck everyone, I'm off to cram madly!

heh, me too!

best of luck

is the exam at 1?
kohlstream
heh, me too!

best of luck

is the exam at 1?

1:30 for me I think, but yeah, its in the afternoon. I just remembered what all the rate-concentration and rate-time graphs looked like! im on a roll! (another party breaks out)
Reply 32
Synkronized
1:30 for me I think, but yeah, its in the afternoon. I just remembered what all the rate-concentration and rate-time graphs looked like! im on a roll! (another party breaks out)

oops i forgot about those

Crap on a stick
Are we related or something? I say 'crap on a stick' too!

I hope they don't ask us to name any acyl chlorides tomorrow... my brain freezes at the thought! (yeah, still here, revising with the net on because im stupid!)
so...i just did this exam! and i thought it was really bad! i had revised really hard but thought most of the questions were ambiguous and badly worded. i think most people here thought it was a very very hard exam..what about everyone else?
Reply 35
AmS
OP
i know wat u mean, the things i did revise didnt seem 2 help much!lol.............it jus seemed a really weird paper compared 2 the past papers there have been?
yes, there were no really 'stories' like there usually are, and it was hit and miss with the questions. the only one i liked was drawing the electrochemical cell.
i was seriously considering writing a note to the examnier to say i thought the questions were ambiguous, but didn't.
oh god i realy hope the next one is ok, bu it won't be!
Reply 37
AmS
OP
yep i loved the electrochemical cell drawing and the thin layer chromatography, glad i revised them at the last moment!!! the one on tuesdays gonna be a complete nightmare for me........ 2 hours of hardcore chemistry!-not good.
green_eyes
so...i just did this exam! and i thought it was really bad! i had revised really hard but thought most of the questions were ambiguous and badly worded. i think most people here thought it was a very very hard exam..what about everyone else?

I thought it was so much easier then the january paper I sat for this module! Question one looked rather scary (NMR and mass spec can scare me off easily) so I left it till last and completed the back 3 questions before returning to the front, but after working it out, the whole thing clicked and it became really easy to do!

(unlike the january paper) I only made up answers to one equation (the hydrogen half cell I think, brain freeze lol), a calculation question and something about batteries, but the rest I answered well... I think!!

I agree, some of the questions were written like the examiner was drunk and couldn't gith his way out of a paper bag, but it wasn't too difficult.

That or I just revised very well for the questions that came up :biggrin:

(who knows, could have failed it lol) .... *touches wood*

Good luck to everyone in their results, I'm sure you all did better then you think you did!
Reply 39
Electrochemical cell drawing i liked cos i could remember
Felt harder than January - doubt i improved
I revised all the wrong things
Some stuff ijust didn't know

For the one with the spectrums with phenylamine to the other thing adn then hydrolyse it what did you get for products of hydrolysis?
I couldn't make the masses work adding on an Na+ but they did if you went back to the original compounds but then it all doesn't work :frown: :frown: :frown:

Latest