The Student Room Group

Ask Powerlifter - Gents and gals of all goals welcome

Please post your questions and I will try to answer as quickly as possible.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't see superior leg genetics on that list. Why would anyone want to ask you anything?
Reply 2
burningnun
I don't see superior leg genetics on that list. Why would anyone want to ask you anything?

This is true, you have made me sad now that I don't have the swole leg genetics and superior course results that some members have.
Reply 3
How can I increase my vertical jump?
Reply 4
Barny
How can I increase my vertical jump?

Power Cleans - Max triples
Back Squats - Max triples
Front Squats - Max Triples
Romanian Deadlifts - Max 5s
Box Squats - Max triples
Pause Squats - Max Triples
Plyometrics - sets of around 10

The back squats varients with chains and bands will also be useful to develop the explosive power required for jumping.

Also worth addinig in skipping for the fast twitch fibers.

Kettlebell sqings would not be amiss either, but with the cleans they are probably unnessesary.
Reply 5
How would I incorporate it into my current workout? I train full body 3x a week, 6-8 reps, 6 sets of back squats supersetted with bench, 6 sets of rows supersetted with military press, 6 sets of pulldowns supersetted with deads.
-subbing-
Reply 7
Barny
How would I incorporate it into my current workout? I train full body 3x a week, 6-8 reps, 6 sets of back squats supersetted with bench, 6 sets of rows supersetted with military press, 6 sets of pulldowns supersetted with deads.

What exactly is your goal/sport?

Please PM response, don't want to clog it with too much gumph
Reply 8
Do you have a recommended routine for mass gaining? I have been training for 18 months now and have hit a plateau for growth.

I will be training 4/5 days a week with swimming on the weekends.

Any ideas appreciated!
Reply 9
x_LiNk_x
Do you have a recommended routine for mass gaining? I have been training for 18 months now and have hit a plateau for growth.

I will be training 4/5 days a week with swimming on the weekends.

Any ideas appreciated!

PM what your routine is and current diet
Quite a few questions I could ask ...

1) For a raw medium stance squat as deep as I can safely go, should I be sitting back into it and keeping my shins as vertical as possible, or should I be breaking with my knees first and sitting right down into it so I get depth and manage to maintain a fairly vertical back angle? Some think that the Westside style of squat is the epitome of squatting but I've been looking at other people's raw squats and they are different: Kroc, Wendler et al all have very very different raw squat styles than that of what you find advertised in Westside articles.

2) Do you think box squats are a useful lift for someone who is raw, medium stance and deep? I did them for a bit and they didn't seem to get good carryover to anything, not even deadlifting. Yet many say this is the exercise to use to improve your squat.

3) Do you cringe when you see 'world records' from the back yard American feds, complete with squat to 3" above parallel, benches not locked out and knees not locked out on the deadlift (which is a lower weight than their bench press)?
Reply 11
I have to sneeze... shall I cover my mouth or just let it rip on the floor?

EDIT: Actually, I too wanted to know about number 2 of Smack's question; Box squats for raw lifters, any good?
Reply 12
Power clean vs hang clean for developing explosive power?
Reply 13
What's a good squat for someone 18yo and 80kg?

What's a good bench press for someone 18yo and 80kg?

What's a good deadlift for someone 18yo and 80kg?
SMed
I have to sneeze... shall I cover my mouth or just let it rip on the floor?

EDIT: Actually, I too wanted to know about number 2 of Smack's question; Box squats for raw lifters, any good?

Upon further investigation I think I might have answered part of my own question.

If this is how the people who think that box squats are the holy grail perform their raw 'squats' then I'm not particularly interested in their opinion ... about anything.

Of course I am not saying that everyone who thinks box squats are good for a raw squatter squat like that, but from what I've seen a sizeable portion of the westside nut huggers do, and it is mainly them that portray box squats as the exercise for a bigger squat. From what I've seen at least, hence I'm asking for Matt's opinion.
See when you do a power clean, is the barbell meant to bouce/hit off your sternum, or does that mean the weights too heavy or is it cos my techniques wrong?
Reply 16
Do you ever feel like going on a MASSIVE cut and seeing how ****** up and veiny you are?
Reply 17
Smack
Upon further investigation I think I might have answered part of my own question.

If this is how the people who think that box squats are the holy grail perform their raw 'squats' then I'm not particularly interested in their opinion ... about anything.

Of course I am not saying that everyone who thinks box squats are good for a raw squatter squat like that, but from what I've seen a sizeable portion of the westside nut huggers do, and it is mainly them that portray box squats as the exercise for a bigger squat. From what I've seen at least, hence I'm asking for Matt's opinion.

Not full squats. He's a faggot.
Reply 18
Right well I do purely cardio (Jog with an aim to run currently), I'm not really competitive but I would like to bring my times down.

Would the effects of switching to wholemeal (Pasta, rice, bread) be noticeable/worthwhile?
Is HIIT useful for long distance training?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply 19
yahweh
What's a good squat for someone 18yo and 80kg?

What's a good bench press for someone 18yo and 80kg?

What's a good deadlift for someone 18yo and 80kg?

same as this but change 80kg for 120kg male.

Quick Reply

Latest