The Student Room Group

Political science and IR society

Scroll to see replies

e-lover
Oh right, I don't seem to have it in my collection so I can't help. Sorry.

Maybe I can give some assistance if you tell me what YOU think liberal and whitehall interpretations of the constitutions are?

I don't know. I took this class up late and I've only been to one lecture/seminar. I had to do loads of reading this week, because I knew hardly anything about the Constitution before.

I understand most of it now, but this is the last thing I have to read and it's thrown me:

"...the convention of ministerial responsibility to Parliament was enshrined as the constitutional tool or 'buckle' through which both the Liberal and the Whitehall views of the constitution could be balanced".

Then it just name drops 'the Whitehall view' or whatever, with no explanation.
Reply 781
Bubbles*de*Milo
I don't know. I took this class up late and I've only been to one lecture/seminar. I had to do loads of reading this week, because I knew hardly anything about the Constitution before.

I understand most of it now, but this is the last thing I have to read and it's thrown me:

"...the convention of ministerial responsibility to Parliament was enshrined as the constitutional tool or 'buckle' through which both the Liberal and the Whitehall views of the constitution could be balanced".

Then it just name drops 'the Whitehall view' or whatever, with no explanation.

Is this the book by Birch? If so, I'm getting the feel that the whitehall interpretation is almost the realist interpretation of the constitution. It's how civil servents and parliament use it to go about state business.

That's what I kinda think? :confused:
e-lover
Is this the book by Birch? If so, I'm getting the feel that the whitehall interpretation is almost the realist interpretation of the constitution. It's how civil servents and parliament use it to go about state business.

That's what I kinda think? :confused:

Yus, he mentions this book somewhere before on the page.
I'll just assume you're right, read the rest of the chapter and ask on Monday :p:

Reply 783
Argh, essay.
Absurd
Argh, essay.

Argh, thesis :p:
IlexAquifolium
Argh, thesis :p:

Argh....errr...work!
Alasdair
Argh....errr...work!

:ditto:
Argh, essay + work?
Reply 788
Ahhh, the joys of EU Enlargement.

Discuss .... ..... ..... .... not.
Reply 789
Hey guys,

I have a problem :frown:

I'm starting on an essay titled 'Is there a unity in methods between natural and social sciences?' and I don't quite understand what it asks me? Is it asking me to critique different research paradigms (say, Positivism, Post-Positivism and Interpretivism) and establish if there are connections to the scientific method?
e-lover
Hey guys,

I have a problem :frown:

I'm starting on an essay titled 'Is there a unity in methods between natural and social sciences?' and I don't quite understand what it asks me? Is it asking me to critique different research paradigms (say, Positivism, Post-Positivism and Interpretivism) and establish if there are connections to the scientific method?

It's probably asking you whether positivism in the social sciences works or something of that sort.
Reply 791
Bismarck
It's probably asking you whether positivism in the social sciences works or something of that sort.

Yes, I think that too.

In which case, I'm going to plan it out as a defence of positivism but also what the post-positivists (Popper et al) and the interpretists would attack within the research paradigm.

Sounds good to you?
e-lover
Yes, I think that too.

In which case, I'm going to plan it out as a defence of positivism but also what the post-positivists (Popper et al) and the interpretists would attack within the research paradigm.

Sounds good to you?

Yeah, sounds about right. You could also mention that positivism as it was interpreted before Popper wasn't even really the way the hard sciences worked.
Outta curiosity, what did you lot do your dissertations on?

Or planning to do?
Bubbles*de*Milo

Or planning to do?

I don't have to decide until the end of next year, so I'm happily putting off my decision. :smile: Something in either conflict or alignment; I'm going to come up with smaller projects for each to see if there's promise in them before deciding.
Reply 795
Bubbles*de*Milo

Or planning to do?

I'm looking to do it on the economic co-operation between America and China and the unintended consequences that it brings.
I'm completely and utterly baffled by this question:

"Cabinet government never existed so Tony Blair could not have destroyed it". ~Discuss

Any ideas/hints/help? :K:
Reply 797
Bubbles*de*Milo

"Cabinet government never existed so Tony Blair could not have destroyed it". ~Discuss

Good lord, what an awful question to ask!

I guess another way to look at it is: The executive branch never existed so Tony Blair couldn't have destroyed it? lol! That sounds even worse!

On a random note, I'm watching The Thick Of It on Sky+ :biggrin:
e-lover
Good lord, what an awful question to ask!

I guess another way to look at it is: The executive branch never existed so Tony Blair couldn't have destroyed it? lol! That sounds even worse!

On a random note, I'm watching The Thick Of It on Sky+ :biggrin:

I might cry. I'm honestly totally baffled.

There's other qs I can do instead, but I'm like :confused: with them too. SIGH
Bubbles*de*Milo

Well there are several restrictions on cabinet government - parliament, presidentialism, the rest of the core executive, Europeanism, etc. Of these the one most often associated with Blair is presidentialism and the role of special advisors etc. So you basically have to decide whether Blair's style of governing really did impact on government by cabinet, or whether the cabinet was never the predominant governing force anyway.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118752459/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
http://www.springerlink.com/index/g848237246208132.pdf
http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&lr=&id=4-yG7qjU9HIC&oi=fnd&pg=PA61&dq=blair+presidentialism+cabinet&ots=FL76jWMybP&sig=e70cUuEoBHdAfuSFfNVzOyewcRQ
http://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&lr=&id=-tK4nZYLyxcC&oi=fnd&pg=PR8&dq=blair+presidentialism+cabinet&ots=hV-sQgzccD&sig=ryglijvWgfxB1WjIJr4F-PXzFVc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending