The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Profesh
TSR is proof-positive that academic performance bears only a tenuous correlation with bona fide intellect: indeed, some of the most intelligent and prosperous people I know are academically mediocre. The argument that grades imply intelligence, though not entirely without merit, is insufficiently non-trivial to be in any way compelling – that is, unless you're an idiot.

This

I'm tired of people thinking intelligence is the most important thing. It's not; My Girlfriend is average at her college and her English isn't great either. But it doesn't matter to me. And how are you measuring intelligence OP? Some grades on a piece of paper isn't the only way of being classed as intelligent. One of my cleverest friends is a plumber, he could have gone to Uni and got straight A's but he didn't want to.
Reply 61
Just because you're a shop keeper.. it doesn't mean your not intelligent.
I just believe there is a great difference between being less academic and being less intelligent.
I think interests are more important that qualifications. And people of similar intelligence do tend to have similar interests.
Reply 63
My ex was pretty thick to be honest! He left school with about 3 gcse's and got a job in a gym. It never bothered me really - it was obvious at times that he wasn't that academic....he used to say some really stupidly thick things but we just saw the funny side of it. Looking back now it was quite frustrating at times because it was difficult to have an intellectual conversation but I was that in love with him that it never bothered me. My friends noticed it more than I did - they often told me they thought he wasn't 'intellectual' enough for me...I just never saw it as a major issue.
However, in the future I don't think I would go out with someone like that again...mainly because of how it affects your everyday conversation. But I'm someone who looks a good discussion every now and then!
Reply 64
I kind of am; I'm doing Psychology at Sussex, and he's doing Graphic Design at an almost unknown uni. He is very intelligent though, just not in the same areas as me. Plus art is sexy <3 lol.
superted88
There's more to life than being academic.

:O Omg there isn't is there?
Dam you mrs robinson.
I've done it. Never really was much of a problem except around results days.
Reply 67
I couldn't go out with someone less academic than me. It sounds awful, but it's just one of my requirements. It's probably because I'm a massive geek, though. Then again, I don't care about looks at all, and I know that being good-looking is a requirement to a lot of people. Different people just have different requirements for relationships.
Anonymous
Has/Is anyone going out with someone "less academic" than them?

I mean for example, like a girl from a top university, doing a top course, dating a boy who is a shop keeper.

You should watch this season of "the family" on Channel 4, interesting stuff relating to that.
Reply 69
but my current boyfriend is about the same level of intelligence as me, if not more, and I love being able to talk about lots of things with him. Intelligence is super, super sexy.

o.O
not everyone with a degree is epic clever.
not everyone without is a dumb pile of *insert anything you like*

inteligence != academic degrees.

I couldn't go out with someone less academic than me. It sounds awful, but it's just one of my requirements. It's probably because I'm a massive geek, though. Then again, I don't care about looks at all, and I know that being good-looking is a requirement to a lot of people. Different people just have different requirements for relationships.

Why?
i'm at a russel group uni where as my boyfriend works in tesco on the counters. I was lucky enough to alwasy know what i wanted to do and have parents that pushed me to succeed.
My boyfriend was in a rough group and school, had no encouragement and still has no idea what he wants to do, i feel really bad knowing exactly what i want to do :/ even if he is really happy for me and encourages me to do really well.
its just now too late without money for him to get a levels so he is finding it hard to get a decent job at the mo
but he is an intelligent person, he is amazing at making things and has far more knowledge on bills and fixing things, much better general knowledge. knows how to sort out the internet or how to fix a pipe, i know about the effects of globalisation which is definatly not as useful,
totally different types of intelligence
Reply 71
Yes, it was so embarrassing. When we opened out AS level results I got AAAA, he got AAAB.

And when he told everyone in our group, I wished the floor could have sucked me up, I went so red. Then he put his arm around me and said, 'want to go to the pub and celebrate?'. I just looked him like, erm NO!

I'm going out with someone who is got AAAAA in his AS levels and is predicted 4 A's this year.

Much better.
Reply 72
Freols
That's true, but like I said, even if we assume intelligence bears no correlation with academic performance, academic performance is often indicative of traits and experiences which some people find desirable. People may prefer to choose partners of equal academic performance due to the increased likelihood of them having a degree of shared experiences - being familiar with the academic culture and lifestyle. Such shared experience inevitably leads to a higher chance of a couple having more to talk about, and more in common with each other. This is a situation which most people find desirable.

I tend to find that the traits or experiences 'indicated' by academic performance are sufficiently evident in conversation (which would be by primary mode of interaction with any prospective partner) not to have to put the cart before the horse when gauging compatibility. But then, nor am I autistic.
Reply 73
Surely half the people are going out with someone "less academic" than them? Unless you have 2 people of equal intelligence?
Reply 74
What does intelligence have to do with love? Hmm your pretty shallow.
Reply 75
Cj-Tj
Surely half the people are going out with someone "less academic" than them? Unless you have 2 people of equal intelligence?

False dichotomy.
Reply 76
Profesh
False dichotomy.

How so?
Reply 77
My ex was very sporty but academically a failure. He dropped out of medicine the following year, and the year we were going out he was just passing. I got the equivalent of 4 to 5 As.
Reply 78
miniteen
My ex was very sporty but academically a failure. He dropped out of medicine the following year, and the year we were going out he was just passing. I got the equivalent of 4 to 5 As.

OMG i want some cookies... :eek:
Reply 79
Cj-Tj
How so?

Because academic prowess does not necessarily translate to intelligence, nor vice-versa.

Latest

Trending

Trending