The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
suicidaloverbusiness
Ok well I'm almost definitely choosing the first four with the exception of Critical Thinking as an extra, but I also really badly want to do Government and Politics. The thing is that I don't want to choose a subject that I've never done in my life and I might end up not liking the course half way through my AS...so any advice regarding this.:confused: Also can I ask what GCSE grades do I need to do Law at uni i.e. how many A*s do I need and perhaps in which subjects?
Thanks

You can resolve all you questions yourself within a few hours.

Set your goal to achieve an A* in ALL your subjects. With this goal, you've already eclipsed the lower-level pointless questions and focused your mind to do your best.

The thing is that I don't want to choose a subject that I've never done in my life and I might end up not liking the course half way through my AS...so any advice regarding this.:confused:

Get the subject textbook, i.e. AQA AS Governments + Politics, spend 1 hour skimming all the chapters to get an idea of what is involved.
Do this for each of your A levels.

Then decide which subject you'd like to explore further.

1) Math
1a) Physics/Chemisty [optional]
2) History
3) English Literature
4) Philosophy/Economics/Government + Politics
5) French/German/Spanish
6) Critical Thinking

This list is simply a hierarchy of suitable subjects; you don't have to do all of these.

Really, your problem is very easy to solve.
Reply 41
Jonty99
Medicine, yes. Yeah , but those are the ONLY two universiites that prefer it, you just made it sound like there were lots of them.

Well sorry if I was misleading, maybe I didn't pick my words carefully enough. Anyway, if it's by word of mouth things tend to get altered in the process, i.e. if my friend has heard it from someone desperate to get into UCL it may just come across that for medicine a non-science subject is a good idea if you don't want to rule out any options. What subjects did you choose?
Reply 42
suicidaloverbusiness
Oh wow your parents work at the university, so do you think you'll be aiming to get into Cambridge.

Erm, I'm not really sure. I've applied there, but I'm sort of having second thoughts...I mean it sounds stupid to turn them down, but part of the university experience is going away from home.
caffrey
Erm, I'm not really sure. I've applied there, but I'm sort of having second thoughts...I mean it sounds stupid to turn them down, but part of the university experience is going away from home.

Oh yes I see where your coming from, moving away from home is always hard (well for most people anyway). Well I wish you the best of luck in getting in anyway.
barton
You can resolve all you questions yourself within a few hours.

Set your goal to achieve an A* in ALL your subjects. With this goal, you've already eclipsed the lower-level pointless questions and focused your mind to do your best.

Get the subject textbook, i.e. AQA AS Governments + Politics, spend 1 hour skimming all the chapters to get an idea of what is involved.
Do this for each of your A levels.

Then decide which subject you'd like to explore further.

This list is simply a hierarchy of suitable subjects; you don't have to do all of these.

Really, your problem is very easy to solve.

I have got a high expecting mindset anyway but it's not always easy to get all A*s when your doing something like 17 GCSEs, hint hint. Yes I am doing this many and don't ask me why (I blame the school). More to the point is that I know that I won't be getting ALL A*s so how many A*s do you think I need minimum out of the 17 GCSEs to read law at a highly ranked university...although perhaps not Cambridge and Oxford, I'd say more along the lines of Nottingham, Birmingham, Bristol, KCL, UCL etc
Reply 45
The magic number you're looking for doesn't exist.

4, 5, 7, 9, or 10 A*s?

Can you see the logic in your situation? The number of A*s you get is proportionate to your 'ability'. It doesn't matter what you actually need for a Law course at xx university.

The optimum and logical move here is to aim for as many A*s as you can. Whether you achieve all A*s doesn't matter, the goal itself produces a much better outcome than any other -- far superior to giving yourself a 'minimum' required benchmark, as this often becomes your grade ceiling.

Latest