The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

TSR Environment Awareness Society

Scroll to see replies

danni_bella
Ooh I like the idea of 'repair' - good work! :p:

Soz it's been ages guys, no I haven't forgotten, just been busy!

Life has become even busier now that I've signed up for Greening Australia's tree-planting programme which is to take place of the next couple of weekends!

Already spent the day in the country planting trees for good ol' mother nature :teeth:

So now I not only feel all warm inside, I'm actually looking forward to going back next week to check on them (the baby trees we planted).

xxo

Hey you :biggrin: , How did the Greening Australia tree-planting programme go/how is it going? Where is it that these trees are being planted? I'm very interested in Australia's environmental issues and culture etc. :yes:
ukebert
I support nuclear, but also some renewables esp in remote places. Also CHP, district heating, etc.

And reduce, reuse, repair, recycle :smile:

Why do you support nuclear power, if you don't mind me asking?:poke:
Elements
Why do you support nuclear power, if you don't mind me asking?:poke:

Because needs must :smile: Reduction of greenhouse gases must be our highest priority and I cannot see that we can reduce our dependence on fossil fuels adequately without the use of nuclear. Of course renewable technology is steadily progressing and I am willing to be convinced :p:
Reply 1803
Unless we are planning on having every house, biulding, and other um, "thing" that uses electricity with it's own sustainable renewable source of energy, I can't see the fossil fuel reliance being broken just yet :frown:
Crisps
Unless we are planning on having every house, biulding, and other um, "thing" that uses electricity with it's own sustainable renewable source of energy, I can't see the fossil fuel reliance being broken just yet :frown:

Just so. Which is why nuclear is the only realistic alternative.
Reply 1805
can we revive this society? Seems a shame that it's not had posts for a while when the environment is becoming an increasingly urgent debate. My cousin just got a job in the government environmental policy team, could be a useful contact if we come up with any good ideas here.
I'd like to join please. I have loads of ideas concerning solar, wind and hydroelectric power I'd like to share.
Reply 1807
cool, welcome to the society googlegel, lets get it back on track :smile:
googlegel
I'd like to join please. I have loads of ideas concerning solar, wind and hydroelectric power I'd like to share.

Have you worked out that they're unlikely, even in combination, to form a grid that will feed the requirements of the modern world?
Reply 1809
all big companies and puiblic sector organisations are going to have to be listed in a green league table as of 2010: http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/climatechange/uk/business/crc/index.htm

We could publish a section of that league table only showing results for Universities and schools so TSR members can see the green credentials of the place they're being educated?
bikerx23
Have you worked out that they're unlikely, even in combination, to form a grid that will feed the requirements of the modern world?

Wind power, on second thoughts wouldn't be enough to power up the grid itself. I remember standing right next to one once on places people go nowhere near, so don't start saying they're to noisy. They make hardly any noise at all - it's the fact that we haven't got enough space.

Geothermal if every household was prepared to pay would be able to power all it's needs. It would last a long time - and I'm sure industry would be able to power up half of it's 'needs'.

Oh and solar? Oh yeah - they're designs are advancing all the time. So they're efficiency is going to be so good it would be good enough for the modern world. I had this idea of making a hot plates powered by by solar panels - quite possible I calculated after it being charged up on an ordinary day for at a few hours. If panels were put virtually everywhere, and could be discreetly, it would be enough in my opinion.

The only problem is that the country refuses to fund for it's future generations. THAT IS THE ONLY PROBLEM.
googlegel
Wind power, on second thoughts wouldn't be enough to power up the grid itself. I remember standing right next to one once on places people go nowhere near, so don't start saying they're to noisy. They make hardly any noise at all - it's the fact that we haven't got enough space.

Noise doesn't matter - it's the fact that they produce insufficient and unreliable energy.

Geothermal if every household was prepared to pay would be able to power all it's needs. It would last a long time - and I'm sure industry would be able to power up half of it's 'needs'.

Geothermal energy requires a high level of thermal transference, which does not occur in the UK, hence it is not feasible on an industrial scale.

Oh and solar? Oh yeah - they're designs are advancing all the time. So they're efficiency is going to be so good it would be good enough for the modern world. I had this idea of making a hot plates powered by by solar panels - quite possible I calculated after it being charged up on an ordinary day for at a few hours. If panels were put virtually everywhere, and could be discreetly, it would be enough in my opinion.

In your opinion, but not that of experts. A real approach would be large scale solar array generation. The other problem is that your energy production is inversely proportional to demand, so even if you work out a way of generating sufficient energy then you need to find a way of storing it.

The only problem is that the country refuses to fund for it's future generations. THAT IS THE ONLY PROBLEM.

It's not the only problem - the complete pie-in-the-sky estimates of technological competence don't help either. But that's true - in terms of energy new power stations should have been put into production a decade ago.
J
all big companies and puiblic sector organisations are going to have to be listed in a green league table as of 2010: http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/climatechange/uk/business/crc/index.htm

We could publish a section of that league table only showing results for Universities and schools so TSR members can see the green credentials of the place they're being educated?

That sounds to be a good idea. The problem is that the majority of infrastructure at all universities is decades old, and as a result the differences seen in the results are down to one or two relatively recent buildings - if you state such statistics then you need to indicate the scale that the variances operate over and their relative sensitivity to small changes and improvements, otherwise people may base their decision on the list (for some reason) and not realise that the actual difference is very small.
Hi, just thought I'd tell you guys to sign the petition about the campaign to save Talomone Bay in Italy

http://passport.panda.org/campaigns/campaign.cfm?uNC=40360883&uCampaignId=1981

All the information is there too.
I planted some trees on the weekend! :biggrin: *Feels all warm and fuzzy inside*
I planted some spruce trees today!!, they had a nice warm day on the porch. (I started them in a plastic container) :smile:
Also, on the energy discussion, isn't the UK working hard on using the tide and waves to generate power? It would make sense for an island nation.
I live in the United States, and in the county I live in, there is very little effort to conserve anything. Some neighborhoods will not allow solar panels on housing because it is too ugly!!
Those are some mixed up priorities. :frown:
Anyway, I think I will start writing letters for the owners of the huge cars, and leave them on their windshields. That is nonviolent, and maybe it will change someone's mind...
danni_bella
Hey all you gorgeous and intelligent peoples of :tsr:

I noticed that there appears to be no TSR environment awareness society or club in any of the forums, so I thought I'd make one up. As I think it, now that we're well into the 21st century, to be a topic of considerable importance.

I just thought it could be a cool idea, you know, get peops to think more about environment issues, such as the use of renewable energy, and about the reduction of non-renewable energy usage for example. Also global warming and pollution could be discussed too.

I mean it wouldn't be a main society or anything, but apart from being a club where forumites can talk about the environment, could also serve as a nice addition to add to one's sig.

Thanks for your time, hope to hear from one of you soon,

Luv always Danni x

Hey does ny one no anything more about the hydrogen car? i only know a limited amount.
bikerx23
Noise doesn't matter - it's the fact that they produce insufficient and unreliable energy.

Geothermal energy requires a high level of thermal transference, which does not occur in the UK, hence it is not feasible on an industrial scale.

In your opinion, but not that of experts. A real approach would be large scale solar array generation. The other problem is that your energy production is inversely proportional to demand, so even if you work out a way of generating sufficient energy then you need to find a way of storing it.

It's not the only problem - the complete pie-in-the-sky estimates of technological competence don't help either. But that's true - in terms of energy new power stations should have been put into production a decade ago.

Really annoying that government says that they care but arn't prepared to pay
lets_bring_back_the_love
Hey does ny one no anything more about the hydrogen car? i only know a limited amount.

It's a solution worthy of consideration because it is operable in a way comparable to hydrocarbon powered vehicles, hence would not necessarily require a lifestyle change. The problem is that all alternative sources of motion still primarily rely on non-renewable resources for the energy they run off - for example, a move to electrically powered vehicles would theoretically result in an increase in carbon emissions. This is not actually likely since the power would initially be lower, but the theory is that remote energy production plus transportation is less efficient than consumption in situ (This isn't however true of electric trains since the remotely sourced power means that there is a significant reduction in the engine's overall weight, i.e. not having to carry fuel).
lets_bring_back_the_love
Really annoying that government says that they care but arn't prepared to pay

What? The Government shouldn't pay for a thing - the sensible solution is putting carbon taxes in place that make currently more expensive alternative sources of energy viable. This will get alternative energy from the market at a better price than poorly orchestrated government schemes.

Latest

Trending

Trending