The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I never give money. :ninja:
Reply 2
in the uk i'd only ever give money to a stranger if it genuinely looked like an emergency... generally i think it's rude to ask people for money, i'd feel like a right prick asking a stranger for cash
Ive seen people asking for money at train stations, I dont tend to carry cash at all really since most shops wont charge your card even for buying gum nowadays... so basicaly never have any.
My friend was once at reading train station after the festival, hed lost his train ticket and didnt have any credit on his phone or any money and he asked a business man for money to buy a train ticket home, he didnt give him money he just bought the ticket which was probably the sensible thing to do, since my friend obviously looks a bit like a druggy/alchy after the festival...
Reply 4
but why?
Reply 5
I gave 40p to this guy at the bus stop once cause he didn't have enough money.
I have done in the past.

However, if I did it every single time, I'd be broke myself.
I've never been asked for money by people like that.
I did buy a homeless guy 3 cans of dr pepper for a quid cos he asked for them tho. I said I'd give him what he needed instead of change :h:
Reply 8
If they look like they need it.
no never give any money
Reply 10
My friend and I bought a latte for a homeless man the other day and since then I've decided I'll definitely do that whenever I can. I often give money to those who ask for it because the way I see it is I don't have urgent need for it whereas they may. Even if they do end up using it for drugs or whatever then at least it's making them 'happy' in lives that can't be much fun.
Reply 11
I gave £2 to a woman just the other day, so she and her boyfriend could catch the bus (he had an oyster card).
I had stopped them on the road and asked them for time, so it's not like they were begging!
Tbh this happened on my way to the C3 Maths exam, and I needed the karma!:yep:
I think its really a good thing to help people out with money, its not like giving someone £2 will break your bank account.:erm:
Nothing wrong with a bit of generousity!
That said, I wouldn't lend money to just anyone, they would have to be genuine!
In Vancouver there is an immense amount of homeless people, I ended up sparing a few dollars during my time there:yep:
Reply 13
I use to but I don't anymore. If I have any spare change, I usually buy the 'Big Issue' from a homeless person.
i never have and never will give money to strangers, i dont give to homeless people either

theres a guy who hangs around our local shopping centre who always asks me and my bf for money, he clearly spends all of his giro on booze and fags, why the hell should we give money to someone like that, someone who cant get his priorities right and buy the essentials IE food before booze/cigs, **** that!
Yeah, I give to anyone who asks because it doesn't happen very often. It feels rude to say no when you have enough money and they don't ask for much.
Reply 16
I suppose when you give to charity, you are giving your money to strangers.
I had a homeless guy try and climb in through my car window at a KFC drive-through once. :lolwut:
I kind of have at work, when some young boys (5/6 years old) wanted ice creams and were just short, I let them go and put the money in myself but other than that no :o:

Our local infamous tramp who is nice always warns us about approaching homeless people :erm:
Reply 19
homeless people = yes

but if somebody comes up to me and asks for money, I wouldn't give it to them.

Latest

Trending

Trending