The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5280
Srije
That is a separate argument altogether, firstly maybe there are reasons why private school seemingly achieve more A grades etc? Maybe its due to the fact that they are selective and pick those who do well in their entrance exams? By the way, grammar schools on the whole outperformed independent schools, grammar schools are also selective. Therefore the argument can be easier to achieve grades at Grammar schools? (btw Public schools are private schools - you mean state schools)

I think that i am also right in saying that level of education in private schools is higher than that of state schools since they are more expensive and consequently richer and are not fettered by the federal budget.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 5281
Tixie
I have a question.

If someone doesn't get an invitation for an entrance exam by the 12th of february, does that mean he got rejected? Even without receiving rejection? Or maybe It would follow? :s-smilie:

no only a certain selection of people are made to take the entrance exam.. very few. i know some people that go there and didnt take the entrance exam
Jinru
1-2 weeks

Edit post 5226 please, don't quote what I said, thanks.

Successful people are successful not because they are genuine you know...

and I think appealing with a specific university is confidential between you and them, it had nothing to do with your UCAS, unless otherwise you had stated in your UCAS application.

But yeh I'll edit the other part :biggrin: and you can edit post 5229 too please.

Done...
Reply 5283
got my first rejection 2day frm LSE.....feels quite demoralizing....
Reply 5284
srajani1
no only a certain selection of people are made to take the entrance exam.. very few. i know some people that go there and didnt take the entrance exam

They didn't take the entrance exam even if they were supposed to? There are some regulations concerning a group of countries, and mine is one of them. So, exam is a condition for further consideration of the application.

Well I guess that's it then, for I haven't got any feedback... :/
Srije
That is a separate argument altogether, firstly maybe there are reasons why private school seemingly achieve more A grades etc? Maybe its due to the fact that they are selective and pick those who do well in their entrance exams? By the way, grammar schools on the whole outperformed independent schools, grammar schools are also selective. Therefore the argument can be easier to achieve grades at Grammar schools? (btw Public schools are private schools - you mean state schools)

Oops - my bad. If we are talking in terms of applications judged purely on results then the argument is entirely relevant, I thinks. Students who've never had the chance to go through private schooling would have to punch well above their weight to stand a chance of entering institutions such as the LSE. Anyhow, no point arguing about it - we've just gotta accept the situation that has been dealt to us, and if that involves impressing on your PS then so be it.

Good luck for friday people :cute:. Sorry to those who were rejected earlier.

edit: **** spelling.
Nearly had a heart attack when i got an email saying track has been updated, thought it was a rejection from LSE, instead it was an offer from Warwick for international management :smile:!
Reply 5287
diesegeld
Nearly had a heart attack when i got an email saying track has been updated, thought it was a rejection from LSE, instead it was an offer from Warwick for international management :smile:!

congrats :smile:

there's another person here who got their offer for international management today, and i have one for straight management.

are you going to warwick if you are rejected by lse?
andcho
congrats :smile:

there's another person here who got their offer for international management today, and i have one for straight management.

are you going to warwick if you are rejected by lse?

thank you!
Yeah probably because for the year abroad you can go to Wharton Business School :smile:
what about you?
srajani1
ahh noo im so sorry what subject was this for?

government and economics
Reply 5290
Has anybody been rejected for management today?
Any rejections for Government?
ac123
got my first rejection 2day frm LSE.....feels quite demoralizing....

:frown: What subject was this for?
elvindork
Wow I really cannot believe I survived this week. I thought I'd be rejected for sure. I was mentally preparing myself for a rejection, but it didn't come. Does this mean I can start thinking positively again until Friday?

This is exactly how I feel, although I'm trying to stop myself from getting excited about Friday.
diesegeld

I got an offer for international management at Warwick today as well. Luckily I managed to check Track before they sent me an email. Which course have you applied to at LSE?
Reply 5295
I Owe Her That Ticket.
Oops - my bad. If we are talking in terms of applications judged purely on results then the argument is entirely relevant, I thinks. Students who've never had the chance to go through private schooling would have to punch well above their weight to stand a chance of entering institutions such as the LSE. Anyhow, no point arguing about it - we've just gotta accept the situation that has been dealt to us, and if that involves impressing on your PS then so be it.

Good luck for friday people :cute:. Sorry to those who were rejected earlier.

edit: **** spelling.

Haha don't worry about your spelling :wink: .

Lets debate it a little :smile:, firstly why should students not have a chance to go into private schooling? If they are academically good enough and earn their place based on the entrance tests then there are always many bursaries/scholarships available to them so that they can attend.
If they don't want to try for independent schools why not try for grammar schools (which are overall better academically)?

Now comes the difficult part - you assume that students going to state schools would perform better at independent schools - now this may well be the case but those who already attend selective schools have been chosen because they will perform the best - its based on merit.

Can it be disproven that those attending selective schools (both grammar and private schools) are on average better academically than those attending comprehensives?

I know plenty of people who are bright and make it through to top universities in the comprehensive system. I myself only went to an independent school because I gained a scholarship through my academic performance in their entrance tests. I was in state education before that.

Now ofcourse that is one side of the argument. Remember the more private education - the more money the government has to give to state schools. The whole problem of students of equal academic caliber in say e.g. comprehensives compared to those in selective schools arises from the fact that they do not achieve the best grades possible due to environments in such schools - e.g. the teaching may not be bad but there may be disruptive students etc etc. This is a valid point and unfortunately it all boils down to one thing in my opinion. Scarcity of good schools - if the state education system was great there would not be any need for private schools. There simply are not enough good schools there to benefit those who are bright enough to study there.

The problem it is hard to quantify how good students would have done in say e.g. a private or a grammar school compared to where they are studying now e.g. a comprehensive...
Universities do try and discriminate positively e.g. they use formulas to give equal weightings to those attending the worst of schools etc

The real solution to this whole mess is to make state schools better...however that is easier said than done.
Reply 5296
fiercepanda
Haven't been rejected yet for V146...
yet...

It seems to me that LSE don't really base it all that much on grades?
There just seems to be a complete imbalance... Some people with brilliant results got rejected straight off the mark whereas others with (still brilliant but) weaker grades are still in the running/have offers. I have weaker grades than a lot of people here but I still haven't been rejected yet

Hard to gleam much from the LSE website but... WHAT DO THEY BASE IT ON?!:eek3:

At the LSE open day they put A LOT of emphasis on the personal statement. Whilst they are known to be notorious and pedantic with near perfect grades they definitely consider alternate aspects of applications. The absence of an interview definitely increases the pressure of this.
People often express problems and flaws within the use of personal statments and the obvious chance to lie about yourself as a candidate. However, I think for those who really do feel passionate about the subject, it's an even better opportunity than an interview for you to solely describe in detail your love and particular interests within your subject. An extremely overlooked component as well is the chance to demonstrate your interest through extra-curriculars and further reading. Both of which I feel say alot about a person, not from the mere presence of these activities but what you have gained from them and the personal opinions they have helped you form.
The reference I do have more issues with. It is in many cases easy to create a shining reference that can only marginally be improved. I know of people at my school who virtually wrote their own. However, the role I believe this does play in the application is somewhat of a tick box where it has little influence through personal content between candidates but if imperfect behaviour or disinterest is conveyed, this may become a problem.
Still in my opinion it still boils down in the end to grades and academics. I agree with some of the comments earlier about the absence of detail in the upper marks of A-levels. For example, prior to this year unless UMs was explicitly disclosed by the candidate (other than for Cambridge), univeristies wouldn't know the difference between an 80% and 100% candidate, in which there is a huge discrepancy. The introduction of the A* will somewhat relieve this however, I believe, certainly for competitive universities and courses, that they're should be, at the very least the option to disclose UMS marks on the UCAS form.

Sorry to have a rant but I do feel the personal statement is important.

Comisserations to those who had bad news today... :frown:
Reply 5297
GlenCoco

at the very least the option to disclose UMS marks on the UCAS form.

Comisserations to those who had bad news today... :frown:

There is a very easy way to disclose UMS marks on UCAS :smile: I did it on my application :smile:
any rejections for gov and econ today? Also, is this friday offer friday or is it next monday?
asdogra23
any rejections for gov and econ today? Also, is this friday offer friday or is it next monday?

me :hide:

Latest

Trending

Trending