The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hopefull
As far as the first two years being pointless, then this is an issue with the Scottish University system, and not with St Andrews. I can agree to some degree about tutorials, sometimes you do indeed get lumped with a postgraduate who is ,frankly, useless.

You can end up with postgrad supervisors at Oxbridge too..
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Hopefull
As far as the first two years being pointless, then this is an issue with the Scottish University system, and not with St Andrews. I can agree to some degree about tutorials, sometimes you do indeed get lumped with a postgraduate who is ,frankly, useless.

All the postgrads I've had for tutorials etc (in Biology, Latin and French) have actually been really really good.... :yes:
Reply 182
Slumpy
You can end up with postgrad supervisors at Oxbridge too..

Well every day is a school day as they say, thanks for informing me :smile:

I have to stand by what I say, you can get some poor pre-doctorate tutors, but some are very good. That said you can choose on occasion. I should have been clear and stated that not all pre-doctorate tutors were bad :biggrin:
I've only had lecturers for my two main modules so far as my tutors...
Honours maths tutorials (and sometimes 2000 level ones) tend to be run by the course lecturer, so not all tutorials are postgrad led. Not that there's anything wrong with the postgrad students taking the tutorials, I've found most the maths ones know what they're on about...although being told the answer is "obvious" isn't always helpful :smile:
la_banane_verte
Honours maths tutorials (and sometimes 2000 level ones) tend to be run by the course lecturer, so not all tutorials are postgrad led. Not that there's anything wrong with the postgrad students taking the tutorials, I've found most the maths ones know what they're on about...although being told the answer is "obvious" isn't always helpful :smile:

The maths ones I had in first and second year were fine. We didn't have tutorials in second year, just workshops which were actually more helpful. There'd be a lecturer and a few postgrads. My friends and I, being physicists, use to make the postgrads pull their hair out by asking "But what IS it?" When we were doing vector calculus in MT2003. Was fun times!

I've only ever had a Physics lecturer once as my tutor and that was last semester. All the ones I've had for physics have been more than competent, especially the one I had last semester for Thermal... He was not only really interested in giving us a good tutorial, but he was also good looking!

So there's a bonus for having Postgrads tutoring you - they tend to be a bit younger than the lecturers and hopefully single too!
Reply 186
Way to fail at researching a university before deciding to spend 4 years of your life there.

You're actually just making st. andrews sound really good to me. xD Absolutely detest clubs, adore castles, pubs and rabbits. :P
Reply 187
I hardly read whole threads; but I made an exception for this one. Always had a pretty good impression of St. Andrews; but thought I would like to hear an insider's point of view. I think the OP didn't intend to speak for entire student population as a whole - just expressing her point of view in case anyone out there might have the same expectations as she did before enrolling and spends more time checking out TSR than carrying out their own research elsewhere (which I do no advocate, but stands true nonetheless):P In that sense, I appreciate her effort; clearly she is contributing to the diverse opinions that have come to make TSR what it is. There's no need to scrutinize her post; it's a bit scary how some people here actually quote bits here and there and analyse them like literature texts - it's only an informal thread people. If it's an inaccurate, then just provide a clearer picture. No need for personal attacks either=S (ie. private school, daddy spending money and the rest of the rubbish)

That said, I must say that I quite like the idea of going to St. Andrews; it's a beautiful town and I do not doubt it's academic performance - I'm all for the peace and quiet! =D and I'd like to say reading both what the OP has had to say and the contrasting opinions has helped. Thank you to anyone who's made the effort to write anything constructive:smile:
Can't say anything in the OP I didn't know before coming, and neither can I say any of it would change my mind were I to apply again.
Reply 189
LAX Inc
I would recommend people who applied to St Andrew Uni should read this. It's good!

dude, you're going to UCL...London is amazing but you're in for a shock hahaha.
Reply 190
Umiisadorable
O.K, I'm writing this because I wished someone had done the same for me when I was applying to University, and been honest about what its REALLY like at St Andrews. I am a Second year student at the University, and wanted to make a formal warning to people wanting to apply to this University, because I don't want others to be duped the way that I was and then arrive here and realise what a colossal mistake they have made.

O.K, academically, the university has a very strong reputation which in my opinion, isn't entirely justified; having been to a private school since the age of 12, I have actually been relatively unimpressed by some of the teaching standards here at St Andrews especially in the first two years which do not actually count towards the rest of the degree. So essentially, two out of the four years you'll spend here, unless you are actually studing medicine are a complete waste and count for nothing, and some of the tutors in the Arts honours degree are simply postgraduate students whose tutorial sessions are completely redundant and useless and essentially function as a means of checking that you've simply read the pointless articles and snippets set. The point is that St Andrews has a strong reputation primarily because it is an OLD university- the oldest in Scotland in fact, which is why its regarded so highly- so don't be fooled as I was into believe that it is truly anything special.

Now, to the most significant part of my article- the place itself is hopeless. Its like a tiny, picturesque little prison with no clubs, and a very limited amount of shops and NO SHOPPING CENTRE whatsoever. People really skim over that fact when talking about this place as if it doesn’t matter, but its important because it becomes maddening- even for people who claim to adore the place, the fact that the highstreet has basically very few shops is a drag, as is the standard and quality of the so-called 'nightlife'. As I stated there are NO CLUBS just tiny crowded pubs with embarrassingly little space that attempt to mould themselves into clubs, but have 'dancefloors' the size of a small bedroom and play awful music. Students BEHAVE as though they are enjoying themselves thoroughly, getting dressed up to stand around in grotty pubs and drink, but they’re either very sad or pretending, honestly, because there's never any space and ALL VENUES SHUT AT ONE O CLOCk in the morning. I'm not kidding. So people leave their little dorms at 11 to come back two hours later drunk and say they've had a great night. It’s very, very sad. If leaving the Union at 1 in the morning after spending your time in there listening to the same terrible music in a tiny box of a room sounds fun then perhaps not, but people behave as if they're SO excited for absolutely no reason at all because there is nothing to get excited about. I love going out, but going out here is not what i call going out because all you're doing is going to one of the pubs next to Tesco to the Union which are all five minutes away from each other because the place is so ridiculously, pathetically small.
It is a beautiful place if you like castles and rabbits, and there is a gorgeous beahc although its only really ‘usable’ for one moth over the two Semesters and the fact that it is as small as it is ruins things, because instead of being able as you should in a city or a larger town, to escape to the centre for an afternoon just to relax or go somewhere a little different with friends- here there is no 'centre' to escape to, and So little to do its incredibly claustrophobic.

The centre of town consists of three streets with tiny little shops and a few banks, like the bare minimum you would expect from an underdeveloped borough in London. There’s Dundee to go to which is 25 minutes away on a bus, but that in itself is actually a very dismal place with a few half decent shops although it does have a few clubs, which are the only saving grace of the place- I’ve been a few times and the clubs are actually good there which is a plus, but the cab fare to get there and back is 60 pounds- you know why? Because of the terrible transport system which means that there are no such thing as night buses here and so you HAVE to take a cab if going out to Dundee later than midnight- it’s things like that which bother me, because even ATTEMPTING to have fun is hard work here.

Its also very difficult to find decent work here because of the lack of opportunities because of the lack of shops, and the \university’s Career Centre is completely hopeless, and basically has no reason for existing, because all the vacancy details could just be sent by e-mail to students, but they refuse to do that and instaead obligate you to go there in person and look up a vacancy located in a single file, which yu then have to que for half and hour to get access to. I am NOT joking.
Most significantly, I have spoken to three people from London, two of whom are my friends and one who has now left because he hated the place so much, and they all say the same thing about it. I had to write this because since I came I have contemplated leaving several times, so if you’re from a decent, fun city, be prepared for the hugest disappointment of your life.

This is an excellent place for social climbers who live in Wellingtons and wear Ray Bans and tweed in December and actually consider drunkenly stumbling around in someone’s lounge or the crowded rooms in the Union until only 1 in the morning to be a fun night out. My experience here has illustrated the extent of people's capacity for self deception and delusion because sincerely, the place is pathetic. One of the most boring places I have ever lived, and a regretful and frustrating experience. If you want a real taste of University life, do not come to St Andrews- almost everyone I’ve spoken to since coming here has expressed that they dislike the place for the very same reasons I have stated here. Obviously, as I expect, people will disagree with me, but this needs to be said, because I have seen hints of others stating negative things about the place but no-one so far I have read has really given the place the dressing down it deserves.

I am a second year too, and I hate this place. It's a nice enough place for a semester abroad, being pretty and slightly different. But academically speaking it does not deserve it's reputation, particularly in the states where it's being marketed as 'just behind oxbridge'. But yes thank you for putting so eloquently everything that I dislike about St Andrews. I too, few duped by St Andrews.
Reply 191
rodarte
I am a second year too, and I hate this place. It's a nice enough place for a semester abroad, being pretty and slightly different. But academically speaking it does not deserve it's reputation, particularly in the states where it's being marketed as 'just behind oxbridge'. But yes thank you for putting so eloquently everything that I dislike about St Andrews. I too, few duped by St Andrews.

You signed up today, and only have three posts.

It's obvious you're just a dupe (a second account) of the OP.

Nice try, though! :rolleyes:
Reply 192
I'd say that, sadly (or not), it's hard to accept the claim that St Andrews is or isn't academically a world-class university from students who haven't gone on to honours level yet. That's where Scottish universities start piling on the work, since you're already doing what you will graduate with, while many first and second year modules are pretty much solely intro and preparation to the subject.
Reply 193
The first couple of years are unchallenging. This gave me plenty of time to drink myself stupid and still average a first most of the time. How is this a bad thing? You just need to latch on to the stuff you enjoy and do extra work for those bits - and then coast the stuff which is boring. It's really quite liberating.
Reply 194
rodarte

haha EPIC fail...
Reply 195
predius
I'd say that, sadly (or not), it's hard to accept the claim that St Andrews is or isn't academically a world-class university from students who haven't gone on to honours level yet. That's where Scottish universities start piling on the work, since you're already doing what you will graduate with, while many first and second year modules are pretty much solely intro and preparation to the subject.

even an honours student couldn't make such claims based on their experience - which is why I and others where citing national studies into the issue and our own personal experience, however relevant those may be they are still good indicators even if you don't accept their total validity
Hmmm, that's a lot of food for thought. ****, gotta really consider what the OP said - he confirmed some latent fears I had about the place.

The ONLY thing that's making me consider applying there, is it's reputation.
i.e. it'd look good on a CV.

(I already have a degree - trying to decide upon a uni for postgrad)
Reply 197
For what it's worth, I too am a second year who can't stand this ******* place. From my experience most people seem to enjoy it, however.
Reply 198
volts
For what it's worth, I too am a second year who can't stand this fuking place. From my experience most people seem to enjoy it, however.

Could you elaborate please? This sort of feedback can be very useful if it's detailed!
Reply 199
marlowe92
Could you elaborate please? This sort of feedback can be very useful if it's detailed!

Extremely cliqueish. Polarised student body. Social hierarchy based on Daddy's salary. Lousy library facilities (on saturday, the library closes earlier than Bean Scene cafe) and never enough books for oversubscribed courses. Accommodation outrageously overpriced, and students increasingly squeezed out due to high intake over past few years. Careers services non existent, unless you're interested in accountancy since the big four are the ones who do the majority of recruitment events here. Most americans go back to the states for graduate school/law school, most girls are only interested in hooking up with a rich boy (although with a fm ratio of 70-30....) and again, most kids rely on Daddy. The town itself is tiny with not much beyond the same student society events on offer, which feel repetitive after first year. FB makes it seem like a lots going on, but most people don't bother going. A lot of booze-y 'black tie' 'charity' events. Worse, the town is a pain to travel to and out off, which makes day/weekend trips difficult, unless you fancy going to Dundee...which isn't that much better.

This is just based on my experience and thoughts about st andrews - you're welcome to disagree if you've had a great experience but I think people ought to hear about the flipside.

Latest

Trending

Trending