The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

I cannot believe we just lost that... Still take advantages from it and that was that we will be back, we were the better team, 3 things lost us the game, lineout, clinicality and biggar. If those 3 things weren't a problem we would have put over 20 points on them. Gutting, but hey learn from mistakes i guess and put Hook back to 10.

2 things that berated me hugely was that the referee didn't seem to understand intentional knock ons. I didn't see the first one but in the first half apparently the fast winger did it when we were odds on to score, didn't even get a penalty and the following play led to that guy scoring a try. Potential 10-14 turnaround. And then in the last minute, only saw it once but apparently Yachvili was about 3 metres offside and then knocked it from Philips' hands, penalty offence, but it wasn't given and straight in front of the posts. Really really annoying as you could say we were cheated but what can you do apart from look forward and take a lot of heart from the performance...

Fantastic game either way, great spectacle for the game of rugby and funnily enough was the same score as the Leinster game yesterday with the home side edging it on both occasions.
Munster need to get their discipline in order, otherwise they're ******.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8598679.stm - So i'm presuming this is an April fools joke the BBC haven't removed 10 days later? The joke's on the BBC then.
benmh92
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8598679.stm - So i'm presuming this is an April fools joke the BBC haven't removed 10 days later? The joke's on the BBC then.

Haha I was about to say, surely it's an April fools?? They should take that down!
Reply 4044
Good on Scotland for joining in though
I know when Munster are playing well because, even with less than 20 to go, I know they're going to win and am totally calm about it.

Tomas O'Leary and Ronan O'Gara really were outstanding today. In fact, all of the Munster backline were - De Villiers and Howlett particularly.

And notice how Marcus Horan shamed Ewan Murray in the scrum? Very interesting, although Murray is coming back from injury, so I hear.
pinkpenguin
I know when Munster are playing well because, even with less than 20 to go, I know they're going to win and am totally calm about it.

Tomas O'Leary and Ronan O'Gara really were outstanding today. In fact, all of the Munster backline were - De Villiers and Howlett particularly.

And notice how Marcus Horan shamed Ewan Murray in the scrum? Very interesting, although Murray is coming back from injury, so I hear.

I was about to say, looks like De Villiers and Howlett have finally earned their paychecks! :eek4:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8613575.stm Unbelievable, so he indicated a penalty and took it back. Hope i never see him referee another big game again, that quite simply cost us a place in the semis.
benmh92
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8613575.stm Unbelievable, so he indicated a penalty and took it back. Hope i never see him referee another big game again, that quite simply cost us a place in the semis.

Ouch. That sucks.

Although I suppose the decision's already been made. :dontknow:

And tbf you guys did cheat your way into the quarters with the old 16 man 'it was a mistake!' trick :getmecoat:

Disclaimer: Clearly a friendly joke. Gutted there are no more home nations teams in the semis. Would have made for some good banter. Let's just pray the froggies don't win.
Reply 4049
pinkpenguin
Ouch. That sucks.

Although I suppose the decision's already been made.

And tbf you guys did cheat your way into the quarters with the old 16 man 'it was a mistake!' trick

Disclaimer: Clearly a friendly joke. Gutted there are no more home nations teams in the semis. Would have made for some good banter. Let's just pray the froggies don't win.

Don't disclaim it, it is a valid point. How a team that had 16 players on the pitch that, arguably, altered the result has the cheek to complain about a close call is quite frankly beyond me.

Whatever happened to the old days?!
Quite clearly it is the RFU at fault for it, they should never have let is happen.
Wasps finally showing their attacking skills - Cipriani does annoy me, sometimes he's absolutely majestic in attack then misses the simplest tackle in defence.
pinkpenguin

I did think that was odd, considering how Euan gave him an absolute munching in the Scotland Ireland A game!
Good comeback from the O's against Ulster after the Biarittz game. Bonus point win and excellent platform for the big Leinster game on Friday! Jerry Collins in both games was absolutely fantastic, his work rate is incredible. James Hook is turning out to be a excellent player, 2 tries for him and i'm really starting to rate him for the first time this season! Biggar had a really good game. He frustrates me, he can be so good, but he does make so many mistakes, i still think he's almost too young for big the big games and Hook could be put at 10 and Biggar as the sub. Got a great future either way both players.
Reply 4054
benmh92
Good comeback from the O's against Ulster after the Biarittz game. Bonus point win and excellent platform for the big Leinster game on Friday! Jerry Collins in both games was absolutely fantastic, his work rate is incredible. James Hook is turning out to be a excellent player, 2 tries for him and i'm really starting to rate him for the first time this season! Biggar had a really good game. He frustrates me, he can be so good, but he does make so many mistakes, i still think he's almost too young for big the big games and Hook could be put at 10 and Biggar as the sub. Got a great future either way both players.

Unlucky loss in the end against Leinster. I think for the amount of money Ospreys have compared to the big French teams they've done remarkably well. I've rated Hook for quite some time, he's got a hell of a hand off and a lot of confidence, just needs to work on his decision making. Still think Lee Byrne is the star of the future.
Vimes
Unlucky loss in the end against Leinster. I think for the amount of money Ospreys have compared to the big French teams they've done remarkably well. I've rated Hook for quite some time, he's got a hell of a hand off and a lot of confidence, just needs to work on his decision making. Still think Lee Byrne is the star of the future.

Lee Byrne is too old to be a star of a future for too long. Hook needs the Ospreys management to play him consistently in a position - he's really a 10, not a centre, but they seem to prefer Biggar's consistency rather than Hook's regular brilliance.
Ethereal
Don't disclaim it, it is a valid point. How a team that had 16 players on the pitch that, arguably, altered the result has the cheek to complain about a close call is quite frankly beyond me.

Whatever happened to the old days?!

I don't think that was too big a deal. Januarie was the real scandal since it included intentional deception by the team's management - he made a much bigger impact to their campaign than Byrne did in that one game.
bikerx23
Lee Byrne is too old to be a star of a future for too long. Hook needs the Ospreys management to play him consistently in a position - he's really a 10, not a centre, but they seem to prefer Biggar's consistency rather than Hook's regular brilliance.

I've thought that too but once Hooke replaced Biggar at 10 in the Leinster game our backline lost all its shape. Hook has been playing constantly well at centre and at times now reminds me of Henson. Should keep him there if you ask me now.
Reply 4058
bikerx23

I disagree - Hook plays brilliantly at centre for Wales. His skill is in clever passes and runs that break through the opposition's line, something few in the world are anywhere as good at, and he can do that from the centre almost as well as from #10. Tbh, he's a bit of a risk as a #10 IMHO, since he doesn't have the consistency you need from one. Plus he'll never make the Wales team at #10, so he'd do well to get more experience and improve as a centre.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8631319.stm - Fantastic news, lets hope he can return to form.

Quick Reply

Latest