The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

Drogue
I disagree - Hook plays brilliantly at centre for Wales. His skill is in clever passes and runs that break through the opposition's line, something few in the world are anywhere as good at, and he can do that from the centre almost as well as from #10. Tbh, he's a bit of a risk as a #10 IMHO, since he doesn't have the consistency you need from one. Plus he'll never make the Wales team at #10, so he'd do well to get more experience and improve as a centre.

I don't agree that he'll never make the Wales team at 10 - it looked a year or so ago that he was going to usurp Jones permanently. I don't think he's not a good Centre, just that his attributes are substantially more suited to the 10 role - whilst playing centre he doesn't have the opportunity to use his fantastic distributive skills so well. Also, the way Ospreys and Wales play he'd turn up alternatively at centre on second phase ball, so that would allow him to run his brilliant outside lines.

Wales have difficulty in this position because they simply have so many options - Ospreys play Hook at 12, whereas Wales play him at 13 - Roberts is arguably the better centre, although I would personally like to see him at 13 to keep him away from the flankers. This, I think, would give Hook a consistent role and allow him to improve inexorably.

How are you these days anyway will? Long time since we've talked properly...
Reply 4061
bikerx23
I don't agree that he'll never make the Wales team at 10 - it looked a year or so ago that he was going to usurp Jones permanently. I don't think he's not a good Centre, just that his attributes are substantially more suited to the 10 role - whilst playing centre he doesn't have the opportunity to use his fantastic distributive skills so well. Also, the way Ospreys and Wales play he'd turn up alternatively at centre on second phase ball, so that would allow him to run his brilliant outside lines.

Wales have difficulty in this position because they simply have so many options - Ospreys play Hook at 12, whereas Wales play him at 13 - Roberts is arguably the better centre, although I would personally like to see him at 13 to keep him away from the flankers. This, I think, would give Hook a consistent role and allow him to improve inexorably.

Point taken, I've always thought he'd be better at 12. Though you really see him as a legitimate rival to Stephen Jones? I know after the Six Nations many were hailing him as one of the best fly halves in the world, with impeccable kicking and an ability to control the game. Personally I was more impressed with Dan Parks, but I still got the impress that Jones' place was pretty safe.

I'd actually quite like to see Hook try at scrum half for a bit - great use of his distributive skills and his turn of speed and hand off could grab quite a few shock tries. I always used to think scrum half was a very different position, but seeing how Harry Ellis, Ben Youngs and Morgan Parra play, and indeed Ben Foden when allowed to, I think there's a lot to be said for a quick, strong runner at #9 who also has the distributive skills.

bikerx23
How are you these days anyway will? Long time since we've talked properly...

Sadly not so well - I was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago (Hodgkin's Lymphoma), though I'm most of the way through treatment now and it seems to have worked. Though apart from that, I'm doing ok - Helen and I are living together and my job's been going well (when I was there pre-illness). How are things with you?
Drogue
Point taken, I've always thought he'd be better at 12. Though you really see him as a legitimate rival to Stephen Jones? I know after the Six Nations many were hailing him as one of the best fly halves in the world, with impeccable kicking and an ability to control the game. Personally I was more impressed with Dan Parks, but I still got the impress that Jones' place was pretty safe.

I think Stephen Jones was better this year than the past ones. Problem most northern hemisphere fly half's seem to have is they don't have a combination of the running, distributive and kicking game, which all southern hemisphere teams seem to. As said, a couple of years ago I think they should have stated that Hook was their fly half now, cast Jones aside and got on with it - the problem with someone of Hook's talent is that they haven't played him consistently and with confidence of selection... it seems to be more that he plays where they dont have the player they want, hence stints at full back and wing.

I'd actually quite like to see Hook try at scrum half for a bit - great use of his distributive skills and his turn of speed and hand off could grab quite a few shock tries. I always used to think scrum half was a very different position, but seeing how Harry Ellis, Ben Youngs and Morgan Parra play, and indeed Ben Foden when allowed to, I think there's a lot to be said for a quick, strong runner at #9 who also has the distributive skills.

I don't see the point - Phillips is in my mind the best No9 available, and Peel is top class as well. Shane Williams always looked an interesting concept at 9 but it only works if you both wouldn't play him anyway and am lacking in that area. The last live game I saw was the England-Italy where Bergamasco played 9, which was not pretty!

Sadly not so well - I was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago (Hodgkin's Lymphoma), though I'm most of the way through treatment now and it seems to have worked. Though apart from that, I'm doing ok - Helen and I are living together and my job's been going well (when I was there pre-illness). How are things with you?
I'd heard about that - believe I messaged you on your facebook, although considering how many people responded there's no surprise you missed it! Glad to hear the treatment seems to be working, and hopefully you'll be back to the dairy grind of economics ASAP - I imagine through the election would have been a fun time to be at work, so that must be frustrating.

Work with me is going well - Hayley moved here after she finished uni and all is great. My job does however seem intent on sending me all over the country - I'm halfway through two weeks in Scotland and am off to Suffolk soon after. Still - can hardly complain and atleast the work is interesting!
Wasps resign Flutey - lets get him back playing how he should...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8642128.stm

Great win for the O's over Munster in Thomond Park. Huge result. O'Gara cost Munster loads by missing easy kicks, though he did take his try well. Should give us home advantage in the play offs too!
Reply 4065
Leeds survive :king1:
:cry:
Reply 4067
It was horribly close wasnt it?
Ethereal
It was horribly close wasnt it?

Disgutingly so. I was listening on the radio and I was biting my nails to the bone. I'd have absolutely backed us to beat Gloucester at home next week too (we tend to turn them over quite often) and send Sale down, but c'est la vie.

I think we totally deserve to go this year, and the academy is doing such good work that hopefully over the next year we can really blood some good young players and try and bounce back up.

Well done to Leeds though :borat:
Reply 4069
Leeds are talking of aiming for top 6 next year.
Reply 4070
Ethereal
Leeds are talking of aiming for top 6 next year.

Apparently they've been coping with significantly less money than the rest due to having been out of the premiership, which will be reversed next year. If so, Neil Back has done an amazing job and it'll be interesting to see what they do next year.

I'm just holding my breath that we (Northampton) do better against London Irish than Saracens do against Leicester. Annoyingly due to missing the last minute conversion yesterday, Leicester have nothing to play for and London Irish still have an outside hope of a semi-final place. Though having lost to Saracens home and away this year, it doesn't bode too well for the semi-final either way...
I was reading at the start of the season about Back's policy of preventatative rest for players to ensure lower injuries - like giving players a game off to focus on improving any perceived potential threats (e.g. if they or the coaches feel they are at risk of a certain muscle strain, to build strength in that area). I heard it worked really well in their promotion run - do you know how effective it was this year Ethereal?

Really sad Worcester are going down - they're relatively local to me and it's a shame not to have that additional team in the area. Still, very glad that Back and Leeds are staying up. It's Newcastle who add nothing in my mind...
Reply 4072
In fairness it may have had an effect this year - Leeds have been one of th estrongest sides in terms of run in to close of season. I'm looking forwards to see what happens next year - they say they're aiming for top 6 so we'll see!
Argh! Getting nervous. Come on Munster!!

Not that we'll beat Tolouse anyway..

Also: LMAO at Balshaw.
Reply 4074
I think Munster have a great chance if they get through - O'Connell back and without the other side having home advantage. I think the rules are a bit strange that Munster and Leinster had the best group-stage records yet had semis away from home.
Reply 4075
Harinordoquy is destroying himself
Ah well. Next year I suppose. Like last year was 'Ireland's' this year appears to belong to France.

Fair effort in the first half but completely imploded in the second. No Howlett, Dowling, POC, Leamy, etc. so can't really complain

I thought Jean de Villiers, Alan Quinlan and David Wallace were outstanding btw.

And :rofl: at Flannery kicking the frenchman, who dived like the best of them. Tbh if he hadn't dived so ridiculously, Flannery would have been yellowed.
pinkpenguin
Ah well. Next year I suppose. Like last year was 'Ireland's' this year appears to belong to France.

Fair effort in the first half but completely imploded in the second. No Howlett, Dowling, POC, Leamy, etc. so can't really complaing.

I thought Jean de Villiers, Alan Quinlan and David Wallace were outstanding btw.

And :rofl: at Flannery kicking the frenchman, who dived like the best of them. Tbh if he hadn't dived so ridiculously, Flannery would have been yellowed.

Tbh, I've never rated Leamy. A benchwarmer if I ever did see one.

Munster gave it a good ******* go though, no shame in being beaten by them. Same thing with Leinster yesterday. Hopefully this will make both teams all the more hungry for next year...
Gutted Worcs have been relegated, they're kinda my local team, and my friend plays for them.

Long shot.. anyone playing at Keele 7s tomorrow? x
Reply 4079
Bath have been awesome this afternoon.

Quick Reply

Latest