The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You need a degree in medicine to eventually become a psychiatrist.
OR
You could do Eng. Lit. and then do graduate entry medicine.
Reply 2
Do you want to become doctor or a psychologist?
Um, no. If you want to be a psychiatrist you need to take a medical degree. You can do that after you graduate with your BA. You might have to do an extra foundation year if you don't have biology and/or chemistry A-level.

If you want to work with people with mental health problems you could become a qualified counsellor or take a psychology conversion course, but that won't lead to you becoming a psychiatrist.
Note that if considering the Graduate Entry for Medicine, some universities require that a science bachelor's degree or specific A Level requirements (e.g. Chemistry).
Nope you need medicine as a psychiatrist is a doctor!! Well at least i hope they havent changed it otherwise ive just wasted several years of my life!!
Reply 6
Btw, I don't mean just with a BA in English Lit. I meant to say, would it be possible to do a (graduate) medical degree after BA Eng. Lit?
effyeffyeffy
Btw, I don't mean just with a BA in English Lit. I meant to say, would it be possible to do a (graduate) medical degree after BA Eng. Lit?

Yes. But as previous posters have said, you might need specific science A levels.
effyeffyeffy

Probably look on the uni websites!
Reply 9
Lindsey123
Yes. But as previous posters have said, you might need specific science A levels.

I'm doing Biology. Would that be enough?
And would A level Psychology help at all?
effyeffyeffy

I don't actually know anything about medicine! They might want one or both of Chemistry or Maths, as well as Biology.
I do not know what a BA is.
Reply 12
RiverRubble
I do not know what a BA is.

Bachelor of arts?
Lindsey123
You need a degree in medicine to eventually become a psychiatrist.

Considering OP has posted this in the medicine subforum, I suspect that she is aware of this.

OP: Graduate entry medicine. Google it.
GodspeedGehenna
Considering OP has posted this in the medicine subforum, I suspect that she is aware of this.

OP: Graduate entry medicine. Google it.

I know I didn't look when I posted! The way the question was phrased made it sound as if she was unaware of the fact.
effyeffyeffy

If you haven't evens started your undergraduate degree yet OP why not stay on at 6th form an extra year and get the right A levels to go straight into medicine? Saves a lot of time and money.
I would have thought you can do a Masters or equivalent that converts you over; may well be longer than a year though, because you'll have to do some sort of foundation. Psychiatry isn't like being a surgeon you don't need to know how people's insides work. Try contacting a few uni's, you'll mixed answers here.
DeanK22
I admit deciding on a course to study at University is difficult but predicting you want to be a pschyologist eight years down the line after you have had two degree's is beyond difficult and just stupid. You are just asking questions now. If you are in a position ((i.e. you have done your English degree) feel free to ask then) but realistically you won't be making a wise choice deciding on the basis of your question alone at the present; if you think you will enjoy it do it.

I want to do a degree in Eng. Lit and I'm just thinking about my prospective job options now, that's all. Surely there's no harm in that :smile:
crazyspacemonkey
I would have thought you can do a Masters or equivalent that converts you over; may well be longer than a year though, because you'll have to do some sort of foundation. Psychiatry isn't like being a surgeon you don't need to know how people's insides work. Try contacting a few uni's, you'll mixed answers here.

Is there seriously any point in just guessing and posting? Pretty much everything you have written here is wrong.
TickTockBoom
If you haven't evens started your undergraduate degree yet OP why not stay on at 6th form an extra year and get the right A levels to go straight into medicine? Saves a lot of time and money.

I haven't even started A levels yet haha. I'm just eager.
I don't want to go straight into medicine; I want to do Lit so I'm just figuring out potential job opportunities based on my other interests :smile:

Latest