The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
madders94
Nope, mummy and daddy shouldn't be able to buy you an education. If they can't instill a good work ethic and give you the motivation to work hard wherever you go, and have to fob you off to a boarding school to do so, it shows far more about them than it does about us working class people :wink:

One thing I've found with private school children is that they rarely know the value of money - they've never had to work a day in their life, they can literally throw money away, and the sad thing is they'll probably never learn either :frown: I may not be able to afford "the best" education for my children but I'll make sure they know the importance of working for your money and not expecting everything to land in your lap.

How is your attitude any better than that which you criticise?

Knowing the value of money, appreciating the advantages you have, all that, is not exclusive to state schooling.
Reply 21
madders94
Nope, mummy and daddy shouldn't be able to buy you an education. If they can't instill a good work ethic and give you the motivation to work hard wherever you go, and have to fob you off to a boarding school to do so, it shows far more about them than it does about us working class people :wink:

One thing I've found with private school children is that they rarely know the value of money - they've never had to work a day in their life, they can literally throw money away, and the sad thing is they'll probably never learn either :frown: I may not be able to afford "the best" education for my children but I'll make sure they know the importance of working for your money and not expecting everything to land in your lap.

Yes in an ideal world. But you try abolishing the private school system, which has happily been going about its own business for hundreds of years, long before the notion of public schools existed.

I would love to study at a university without private school students / marbles in their mouth / rah rah accents and attitudes. But it's not going to happen :frown:

I agree though, the privately educated often don't know the value of their education.
madders94
shouldn't be able to buy you an education.

How about clothes, cars or houses ?
Perhaps we should all have free clothes, cars and houses provided by the state ?

Paying for private education is like paying for a car or a jacket that you value.
m.grump
Yes in an ideal world. But you try abolishing the private school system, which has happily been going about its own business for hundreds of years, long before the notion of public schools existed.

I would love to live in a university without private school students / marbles in their mouth / rah rah accents and attitudes. But it's not going to happen :frown:

I agree though, the privately educated often don't know the value of their education.

ha ha - 'marbles in their mouths' :o:

Another advantage of a 'state' school (god I hate that term), is you grow up with a mixture of backgrounds - life experience if you like. I can't help but feel private schools are a bubble away from reality where a majority of students are from wealthy families and sadly see us 'state' school students as a class below them.

I don't deny the standard of education is better in private schools and from what I hear, the teachers have more time for you. However, I feel a comprehensive high school is an education in life and not just in how to pass exams! :yep:

I think those 'gifted and talented' children who get themselves into private schools via scholarships rather than just cold hard cash are fantastic though and really do deserve private schooling.
flugestuge
How about clothes, cars or houses ?
Perhaps we should all have free clothes, cars and houses provided by the state ?

Paying for private education is like paying for a car or a jacket that you value.

You know for a fact that is a useless comparison!
Reply 25
If I have children I reckon I will if I'm in the position to afford it. It would be unfair not to afford them the same opportunity as I had. There's less of the wrong crowd hanging around at private school as well, so I would be less concerned about discipline and the rest of it..
lucho22
If I have children I reckon I will if I'm in the position to afford it. It would be unfair not to afford them the same opportunity as I had. There's less of the wrong crowd hanging around at private school as well, so I would be less concerned about discipline and the rest of it..

The wrong crowd exist in private schools - they just have more money to buy their drugs.
Reply 27
lucho22

Well.. I went to a grammar school, which had none of the 'wrong crowd', it was free and elitist, and I hated it.

I think this notion of the 'wrong crowd' needs to be taken out and beaten with a stick. There is no 'wrong crowd' in life, just crowds that you don't want to be a part of.
Our_Sunshine_Boy

As for kicking them out for crap grades, if the school gets the cash, they won't care.

Not true at all. Eton/Harrow have reputations to maintain. I assure you.
Reply 29
m.grump
Well.. I went to a grammar school, which had none of the 'wrong crowd', it was free and elitist, and I hated it.

I think this notion of the 'wrong crowd' needs to be taken out and beaten with a stick. There is no 'wrong crowd' in life, just crowds that you don't want to be a part of.

heh - well more what I mean is the biggest possible nightmare for me would be to have a kid that gets into all the wrong things. Having children is a scary enough thought. If private school even moderately reduces the risk of he or she becoming an off-the-rails hell-raiser then I think it would be money well spent. School age is when they're most vulnerable to bad influences..

At university I hang out with people from every background - it hasn't prevented me from making friends with people just because of schooling - so I don't think that it's stunted my view of the world... Even though most of the people at my school were ********* I still wouldn't trade my education for anything..
fulmination
Not true at all. Eton/Harrow have reputations to maintain. I assure you.

The private school system is bigger than Eton and Harrow dearest.
Gary2010

If YOU have kids, will you do so too? And would you encourage your friends to do the same?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/education/article4748815.ece

If I have kids I will make sure I send them to a normal-rough state comprehensive school to toughen them up. No way i'm going to send them to private school! They'll end up becoming toffs like Cameron/Clegg. I want my kid to become a rough rugby playing type like GB was in his heydays.

Also state compers are more grounded, know about how the real world and don't live in a bubble like privately educated brats.

nuff said:cool: State comp ftw peoplles! braaaaaap!
Reply 32
Our_Sunshine_Boy
The wrong crowd exist in private schools - they just have more money to buy their drugs.

I guess it depends - I remember the bad crowd at my school being quite petty little deviants - smoking a bit of weed or whatever - they were unlikely to go stabbing people or getting involved in anything serious.. Bastards - but harmless nonetheless..
m.grump

Nah, I think especially in a school environment you can get groups of kids who get a kick out of making others lives hell (including the teachers lives). Whether it's abusive students, verbal and physical bullies or as I found out at my high school, a group who decided they'd spread the 'self harming' gospel!
Reply 34
There needs to be more scholarships really, and realistic ways of picking out the best and brightest from the mediocre rich, and the hard-working poor. There is a huge injustice in the number of struggling working class families that just cannot afford, cannot support, or do not realise the potential of, sending their genius kids to attend university. They don't even really realise they're smart.

Worst still.. there is a working class culture of acceptance of their ignorance, at least in my area.. they do not aspire to go to university. They might be smarter than most of the people there, but even then it's just not socially accepted, and is seen as weird and uncool amongst their friends. There's a stigma in achieving academically. There is a shame in being overeducated, or even high school educated.

It's the opposite amongst the overpriviledged, who go to uni. just for something to do.. to party more.. they don't even care what they study, they just want the university hoodie.

A wide discrepancy.
lucho22
I guess it depends - I remember the bad crowd at my school being quite petty little deviants - smoking a bit of weed or whatever - they were unlikely to go stabbing people or getting involved in anything serious.. Bastards - but harmless nonetheless..

Yeah, I wouldn't define the occasional weed smokers as a 'bad crowd' but not one that I'd encourage my own kids to join! :p:
m.grump
There needs to be more scholarships really, and realistic ways of picking out the best and brightest from the mediocre rich, and the hard-working poor. There is a huge injustice in the number of struggling working class families that just cannot afford, cannot support, or do not realise the potential of, sending their genius kids to attend university.

Worst still.. there is a working class culture of acceptance of their ignorance, at least in my area.. they do not aspire to go to university. They might be smarter than most of the people there, but even then it's just not socially accepted, and is seen as weird and uncool amongst their friends. There's a stigma in achieving academically. There is a shame in being overeducated, or even high school educated.

It's the opposite amongst the overpriviledged, who go to uni. just for something to do.. to party more.. they don't even care what they study, they just want the university hoodie.

A wide discrepancy.

That's the issue I guess. Picking those who are genuinely gifted from a young age, regardless of their families wealth. Testing surely isn't the answer, young kids already have too many tests and it's unnecessary pressure at a young age. I believe the 11 + should have been scrapped long ago, but I admit I have no suggestion of a replacement for it.

The only alternative I see, is the school selecting it's 'best' students, but then of course we're going down the road of bribes and favouritism. Feel for the poor sods who have to make decisions on educational reforms...
Our_Sunshine_Boy
As for kicking them out for crap grades, if the school gets the cash, they won't care.

Definitely true. I don't even remember how many times students at my school 'bought' their way back in.
Reply 38
Our_Sunshine_Boy
Yeah, I wouldn't define the occasional weed smokers as a 'bad crowd' but not one that I'd encourage my own kids to join! :p:

That's a parental thing, and I can understand that.

However.. one of the smartest person I ever knew, has an IQ of 141 in repeat testing. He never went to uni. and worked as a HR recruiter for years for a large multinational company I worked for.

He did drugs quite regularly :smile: and probably still does. He is a genius *shrug*. There were quite a few people like that at that company.
Our_Sunshine_Boy
ha ha - 'marbles in their mouths' :o:

Another advantage of a 'state' school (god I hate that term), is you grow up with a mixture of backgrounds - life experience if you like. I can't help but feel private schools are a bubble away from reality where a majority of students are from wealthy families and sadly see us 'state' school students as a class below them.

I don't deny the standard of education is better in private schools and from what I hear, the teachers have more time for you. However, I feel a comprehensive high school is an education in life and not just in how to pass exams! :yep:

I think those 'gifted and talented' children who get themselves into private schools via scholarships rather than just cold hard cash are fantastic though and really do deserve private schooling.

I'm sorry, but why does it make it better that those children's parent who don't have money make it okay compared to a child who's talented and has the money to pay? From what I hear that's just classism. I don't mean to sound rude, and I went to a state school btw, but the only way those who cannot afford to pay but have the ability to go to are funded because there are those who pay a lot of money for it.

Someone said that those who go to private school don't value money, but it seems that those on this forum who went to a state school (and again, I did too) think everything should come free to them.

Latest

Trending

Trending