The Student Room Group

Wuthering Heights AS Revision

Thought i'd start a thread for everyone out there revising Wuthering Heights (it can't just be me!), to see how everyone's revising and to post materials. Personally i'm not a fan of the book but hey ho!

Have just started compiling a quotes list to learn which i'll post on here when i'm done.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did Wuthering Heights for my AS last year, I just found these notes on my computer.
The title says quotes, but there's more stuff than that in the document. There are quotations with explanations, critical readings and a fair bit about context.
Hope this is helpful! If anyone has anything I may be able to help with, just let me know :smile:
Reply 2
Lit2010
I did Wuthering Heights for my AS last year, I just found these notes on my computer.
The title says quotes, but there's more stuff than that in the document. There are quotations with explanations, critical readings and a fair bit about context.
Hope this is helpful! If anyone has anything I may be able to help with, just let me know :smile:

Again, perfect, if I could rep you again I would.
How did you do in the exam?
Reply 3
Mr Shankly

90%, I think, I got 95% overall in my AS, I got full marks in the coursework :smile:
Reply 4
Mr Shankly

This may also help
Reply 5
You, my friend, are a lifesaver. I feel like I should pay you or something!
Reply 6
Mr Shankly
You, my friend, are a lifesaver. I feel like I should pay you or something!

Haha, it's really not a problem. I'm glad I can help!
Reply 7
Mr Shankly
Thought i'd start a thread for everyone out there revising Wuthering Heights (it can't just be me!), to see how everyone's revising and to post materials. Personally i'm not a fan of the book but hey ho!

Have just started compiling a quotes list to learn which i'll post on here when i'm done.

Wow. I love you for letting me know about this thread! :biggrin: Panicking about studying WH by yourself is like the worst feeling ever :eek: I can't get through the book easily. I love the ending but the book is just... IDK how to explain it. I guess it could just be laziness :p: I'll post materials later on today :smile: BTW I'm doing The Color Purple for my other text. What's yours?

EDIT: I tend to try and read about WH in all sorts of pieces of writing (blog posts, forum posts, articles, reviews etc) just to see the story in different perspectives.

Something that I've been finding difficult to understand how to incorporate into my essay answers is form and structure. How would you do this? =S

Links that I've found useful. I might find a few that I forgot about later.

- Sparknotes - they have covered the context, plot, characters, themes, motifs and symbols, summary and analysis for each chapter and more. http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/wuthering/

- S-Cool - bit like Sparknotes but it's also worth checking out. http://www.s-cool.co.uk/alevel/english-literature/wuthering-heights.html

- Teoría de la Literatura - a page on Narrative Structure and Techniques in Wuthering Heights. http://teoriadelaliteratura.blogia.com/2006/032901-narrative-structure-and-techniques-in-wuthering-heights..php

- Coffee Marxist's - Crisis & Capital In Wuthering Heights. http://coffeemarxist.wordpress.com/2008/12/04/crisis-capital-in-wuthering-heights/

- To what extent do Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre conform to the idea of the bildungsroman? 'The growing up of the characters throughout the book.' -http://www.enotes.com/wuthering-heights/q-and-a/what-extent-do-wuthering-heights-jane-eyre-81169

This is random but it'll come in useful for those who are not confident with literary terms.
http://www.literature-study-online.com/glossary.html
I'm doing it this year for my A2 and i've found the york notes advance books are really good for various literature and really good for revision
Reply 9
Just thought i'd bump this to see if anyone's doing W.H next week!
Reply 10
I'm doing the exam next week with Wuthering Heights as the lead text and the Color Purple as the back up.

In terms of revision, I've found the York Notes Advanced for WH really great too, and thank you so much Lit2010 for those documents, they're so helpful! :smile: I think now I really need to start properly revising quotes that I can use to back up lots of different points.

How's everyone else feeling about the exam? hehe
mines in 2 weeks and im feeling pretty good about WH its my other two texts that im still needing to learn quotes from !!!

paradise lost is by far the hardest to learn quotes from
Reply 12
Mr Shankly
Just thought i'd bump this to see if anyone's doing W.H next week!

Emma-Leigh
I'm doing the exam next week with Wuthering Heights as the lead text and the Color Purple as the back up.

In terms of revision, I've found the York Notes Advanced for WH really great too, and thank you so much Lit2010 for those documents, they're so helpful! :smile: I think now I really need to start properly revising quotes that I can use to back up lots of different points.

How's everyone else feeling about the exam? hehe

Me. And I'm nervous. So so nervous ._. I don't write enough... :frown: so I still have to do a LOT of practice essays... basically, most of the time I come up with good points but I don't elaborate enough. Any tips?? :frown:
Reply 13
Sashii.Ni

Me. And I'm nervous. So so nervous ._. I don't write enough... :frown: so I still have to do a LOT of practice essays... basically, most of the time I come up with good points but I don't elaborate enough. Any tips?? :frown:

I've uploaded a few essays I did last year. They all got As, so see what I did there. I think it's mainly about linking ideas to contextual information and exploring different interpretations of texts. AO3 and AO4 are the most heavily weighted (i think)

Best of luck to all of you taking this exam next week

x
Reply 14
Lit2010
I've uploaded a few essays I did last year. They all got As, so see what I did there. I think it's mainly about linking ideas to contextual information and exploring different interpretations of texts. AO3 and AO4 are the most heavily weighted (i think)

x

Whoa! Thank you so so so much :woo: I'm off to read them now :smile:
Reply 15
Lit2010

x

By any chance, have you done any compare/contrast essays? :smile:
Reply 16
Sashii.Ni
By any chance, have you done any compare/contrast essays? :smile:

Hey,

Sorry, those are the only essays I have for Wuthering Heights. There should be some elements of comparing/contrasting within them, though.
Reply 17
Lit2010
Hey,

Sorry, those are the only essays I have for Wuthering Heights. There should be some elements of comparing/contrasting within them, though.

Well, I've just been going through your Heros and Heroines essay and I'm flabbergasted! :biggrin: How long did it take you to write it? And it's okay, don't worry about it. I'm just slightly confused as to how I should approach comparing my second text to WH :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Sashii.Ni
I'm just slightly confused as to how I should approach comparing my second text to WH :s-smilie:

Just out of curiosity, what is your second text? :smile: The way I've been told to structure it is to primarily lead with Wuthering Heights but then use The Color Purple to develop/contrast points I'm making, so in the development section of the 'point' I'm making if you like. My teachers tend to say that for every, say, three points you make about Wuthering Heights, try and tie in something from the secondary text but I don't know how others have been told to structure essays.
Reply 19
Emma-Leigh
Just out of curiosity, what is your second text? :smile: The way I've been told to structure it is to primarily lead with Wuthering Heights but then use The Color Purple to develop/contrast points I'm making, so in the development section of the 'point' I'm making if you like. My teachers tend to say that for every, say, three points you make about Wuthering Heights, try and tie in something from the secondary text but I don't know how others have been told to structure essays.

I'm doing The Color Purple too :yep: Because I start off with Wuthering Heights and I run out of time while writing about it, I don't say anything about TCP! It's a disaster >_< Do you by any chance have a soft copy of any of your essays so that I could have a better understanding?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending