The Student Room Group

Current Psychology Uni students.

Hey.

I've applied to study psychology and should be starting at cardiff in sept (finger crossed) Was just wondering if anyone knew of any relevent books to read or a reading list frrom a uni on psychology, just to get ahead as i have a whole summer of free time. If you could also tell me what the first few assignments were as well that would be especially useful :smile:

Thank you muchly
xxx
Look at the psychology FAQ sticky.
Loads of Freud's stuff is in the public domain (read: free) so I'd recommend that!
Reply 3
What GodspeedGehenna said.
Also, you should get a reading list through from Cardiff sometime this summer - don't feel like you have to buy every book on there or even read them all! You soon realise once you are there which books might be useful to buy and which are on the list for one chapter that you need for one lecture only.
There isn't a focus on Freud anymore - a starting point might be signing up for the BPS Research Digest, which features up to date research.
Addzter
Loads of Freud's stuff is in the public domain (read: free) so I'd recommend that!

Don't read Freud. That's like telling a medic to read some of Galen's writings.
Reply 5
GodspeedGehenna

:rofl: This.
MoonShadowWolf
Hey.

I've applied to study psychology and should be starting at cardiff in sept (finger crossed) Was just wondering if anyone knew of any relevent books to read or a reading list frrom a uni on psychology, just to get ahead as i have a whole summer of free time. If you could also tell me what the first few assignments were as well that would be especially useful :smile:

Thank you muchly
xxx

surely the uni has a recommended reading list? and most unis will have different courses, but a general intro to psychology textbook will help you with basic concepts which should help when you need to cram everything in less than a year from now =) good luck
Reply 7
I've just finished my first year at cardiff and the textbook recommended for the first term is actually provided by the university for the psychology modules but if you want to get ahead I would recommend having a look at the 5th edition of the Cognitive Psychology;Handbook for Students by Eysenck and Keane and Social Psychology(12th edition by Taylor, Peplau and Sears) Don't bother with Freud at all..we never look at his work. Also on our reading list for the first term was 'Bad Science' quite a popular book you could probably get out the library.
GodspeedGehenna

So you're saying it's completely useless to read Freud? Even though you can get hold of it for nothing?
Addzter
So you're saying it's completely useless to read Freud? Even though you can get hold of it for nothing?

Yes. You do not cover Freud in a modern Psychology BSc.
Reply 10
GodspeedGehenna
Yes. You do not cover Freud in a modern Psychology BSc.

Kent has an entire third year module on Psychoanalysis - Freud (optional, not core module).
Why someone would choose to study that is beyond me. :\

But yes, have a look for a Cardiff reading list. They usually have sections for Essential and then Optional/Reccomended books - the Essential ones (obviously) tend to be better/more important!

It kind of depends what your modules are really, so have a look for the module outlines online too! :smile:
Liv1204
Kent has an entire third year module on Psychoanalysis - Freud.

Oh dear.
Reply 12
GodspeedGehenna
Oh dear.

My thoughts exactly. Apparently:

"This one-semester module aims to provide students with a critical introduction to Freud’s “seduction” theory, his account of dreams and the unconscious, infantile sexuality, neurosis, psychotherapy, depression, trauma, the id-ego-superego structure of the mind, and the "castration complex" in boys and girls, men and women."

They also have Psychoanalysis - Post-Freud:

"This one-semester module aims to introduce students to the post-Freudian theories of Jung, US ego psychology, Melanie Klein on mothering, Donald Winnicott on pre-symbolic transitional objects, and post-Kleinian theories of symbol formation. It also considers applications of post-Freudian ideas to mothering, anorexia, autism, art, schizophrenia, mentalization, terrorism, and relational or intersubjective psychology."

:\
Email the uni, I haven't started yet either, let alone applied, but they're happy to send you reading lists if they're not on their school websites.
Cool, thanks. Could anyone tell me what the first few assignments where as well?

Latest