The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

no theres no point at all.

apply to the college you want, for the subject you want.

would avoid applying to kings or trinity though as they seem to get swamped by international applications
Reply 2
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Is there any point in doing this?

My school wants me to apply to a 'new' college and for a less competitive subject because they think my chances will be higher, even though I'm not so interested in the subjects and colleges they suggest.

The course I actually want to do (PPS) is very competitive so I've been advised against it by my teachers.

Thanks.

whats the point of applying to a course you don't want to do?
Reply 3
Don't bother

Apply to the course you want to do & the college you want to do it at
The 'harder' colleges have more people taken from the pool so it works out the same on numbers anyhow

The only time to start picking colleges to get in, is if you've contacted a certain one and know they're no keen on gap year/whatever
Reply 4
Surely its easier to get into Cambridge for a course with less competition, thats why.
Reply 5
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Surely its easier to get into Cambridge for a course with less competition, thats why.

So why don't you apply to cambridge for a job as a cleaner its far more easier!!!:mad:
Reply 6
Which college you apply to genuinely makes no difference to how likely you are to get in - apply to the one you like most, you might well end up spending 3 years of your life there, and it's pretty intense, so you don't want to be somewhere you hate.

I imagine that which course you apply to is more troublesome... different courses have different acceptance rates, so I guess it might well affect how likely you are to get a place. I would say, though, that you're much more likely to do well at interview if you're enthusiastic about the subject you're applying for and are genuinely interested in studying it, as opposed to a subject that you might be good at, and might have a higher acceptance rate, but you really don't see yourself doing.
Reply 7
Definitely definitely apply for the course you want to do. Don't listen to your school. They're wrong.

If you apply for a course you're not passionate about it will harm your chances, not help them - the interviewers will be able to spot it. Apply to whichever college you like. If they have to reject you purely on the basis that they've had too many applicants, they'll pool you. Schools talk so much rubbish about Cambridge applications!
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

No, it's easier to get into Cambridge for a course that you are genuinely interested and passionate about, because this will show at the interview.
Reply 9
Melz0r
Definitely definitely apply for the course you want to do. Don't listen to your school. They're wrong.

If you apply for a course you're not passionate about it will harm your chances, not help them - the interviewers will be able to spot it. Apply to whichever college you like. If they have to reject you purely on the basis that they've had too many applicants, they'll pool you. Schools talk so much rubbish about Cambridge applications!

Thanks for the advice =]

So it's better to apply for a competitive course that you really like, at a competitive college that you really like, than for a course and college that's far easier statistically (although far less appealing) to get in?

My school says you should go for the least popular colleges for the least popular courses regardless of how much you like the course/college...
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Well yes, perhaps. But if you have little interest in the course you're very unlikely to do well once you get in. Similarly while you may have a slightly better chance applying to a less competitive college, this is largely offset by the pooling system. So I'd say it's better to go for a college you know you actually like and hope you get pooled to one of these 'easier' colleges if you don't get an offer from the college you chose.

PS: Either your school doesn't have a clue, or is only interested in maximising the number of Cambridge offers it receives.
Reply 11
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Thanks for the advice =]

So it's better to apply for a competitive course that you really like, at a competitive college that you really like, than for a course and college that's far easier statistically (although far less appealing) to get in?

My school says you should go for the least popular colleges for the least popular courses regardless of how much you like the course/college...

Why would you ever go for any course other than the one you wanted to do?

Surely there's no point in doing the 'wrong'' course (and then presumably going into the 'wrong' career) just to say you went to Cambridge?
aKarma
Why would you ever go for any course other than the one you wanted to do?

Surely there's no point in doing the 'wrong'' course (and then presumably going into the 'wrong' career) just to say you went to Cambridge?

Well, presumably the idea is that doing a 'wrong' course at Cambridge for 3 years could get you a better job than the 'right' course elsewhere, ceteris paribus. I don't know if I agree with this but that would probably be the explanation.
Reply 13
alex_hk90
Well, presumably the idea is that doing a 'wrong' course at Cambridge for 3 years could get you a better job than the 'right' course elsewhere, ceteris paribus. I don't know if I agree with this but that would probably be the explanation.

I suppose, but if you're only left with less competitive courses to apply to, I'm not so sure the career prospects would be so great compared to other options. I imagine you're right about the school wanting to make itself look good :rolleyes:

Luckily my school didn't have a clue about how all the Oxbridge stuff worked so they let me do whatever the hell I liked.
Reply 14
alex_hk90
Well yes, perhaps. But if you have little interest in the course you're very unlikely to do well once you get in. Similarly while you may have a slightly better chance applying to a less competitive college, this is largely offset by the pooling system. So I'd say it's better to go for a college you know you actually like and hope you get pooled to one of these 'easier' colleges if you don't get an offer from the college you chose.

PS: Either your school doesn't have a clue, or is only interested in maximising the number of Cambridge offers it receives.

Yes the school is only interested in maximising the number of offers. But I want one of those offers!
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Because I want a fu*king degree from there you fat midget.

.....I don't think you're exactly Cambridge material judging by the facts that a) you're overly aggressive and resort to using wild immature assumptions when attempting to abuse someone who offered you advise b) aren't choosing your subject on what you love and what you want to study but merely on what offers you the best chance of getting in.

You're more likely to get into a popular course which you love than attempting to fake an interest in another subject because of its supposedly good acceptance rates.
Reply 16
jbeach09
.....I don't think you're exactly Cambridge material judging by the facts that a) you're overly aggressive and resort to using wild immature assumptions when attempting to abuse someone who offered you advise b) aren't choosing your subject on what you love and what you want to study but merely on what offers you the best chance of getting in.

You're more likely to get into a popular course which you love than attempting to fake an interest in another subject because of its supposedly good acceptance rates.

I agree with this reply and a lot of the ones above. OPs school/tutors etc are stupid; getting OP to apply to study a course that they hate for 3 years is just lidicrous and all to the schools benefit. Also, OP does seem to be a bit below Cambridge standard as jbeach09 points out. OP, you should apply for the course you enjoy and dont bother trying to apply to a college which doesn't get as many applications; they make sure that they get the best candidates through pooling etc. It therefore makes little difference which college you apply for.
Reply 17
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
Essentially, yes.

To be honest, to get into Cambridge I think it's paramount that you should be able to spell basic words properly. Work on it.

Why don't you share your GCSE results so we can give you some better advise?
Go for something you want to do.. something that you have a passion for!
lol, you won't get in if you're not passionate about the course!

That's that the interviews are for.

Latest

Trending

Trending