The Student Room Group

i'm pissed off about my stupid accomodation offer

I applied for halls in the center of greenwich right near the uni, and applied AGES ago, but i've just got my accomodation offer for halls at the Avery Hill campus 5 MILES from Greenwich!!! What the hell! I applied early, so i should have at least been offered halls in Greenwich! I know I should be happy that I got into uni and have accomodation, but arrrgh! 5 MILES!!!!
Reply 1
There is a regular bus service.

Are you lectures on Avery Hill by any chance?
Reply 2
There is not enough accomodation in London, sadly this is what happens.

Honestly though, you'll think it's annoying now, but once you get there and make friends you'll be very happy you are where you are.
bestie

No, my lectures aren't at Avery Hill, and I found out it's 6 MILES, not 5. They've put me all the way over at the Avery Hill Campus for some reason. I applied really early specifically so I could be sure of getting the accomodation I wanted. I wouldn't be mad if I was in some other halls in Greenwich, but i'm 6 miles from greenwich. Just why?
Reply 4
Similar thing happened to me last year. I ended up getting a place in some privately owned accom (Unite) which was very close, and the rooms were much nicer. I did have to pay something like a tenner more a week -but i got an en-suite.
kpwxx
There is not enough accomodation in London, sadly this is what happens.

Honestly though, you'll think it's annoying now, but once you get there and make friends you'll be very happy you are where you are.

I'll have to make friends with all the people at Avery Hill doing whatever they do at Avery Hill. What if they're doing maths or something!!! Or Latin!!! LATIN!!!!!!!!! :poke:
Reply 6
Avery Hill is very nice though and right next to a big park.
hollyhollywood92
No, my lectures aren't at Avery Hill, and I found out it's 6 MILES, not 5. They've put me all the way over at the Avery Hill Campus for some reason. I applied really early specifically so I could be sure of getting the accomodation I wanted. I wouldn't be mad if I was in some other halls in Greenwich, but i'm 6 miles from greenwich. Just why?

many people who live where i live (stockport 6 miles from manchester) go to manchester uni/met and stay at home, its a very easy journey. London and greater has a very good bus/public transport service (better then manchester) and people get there with ease. 6 miles isnt actually that far.
6 MILES!!!!!!!!!

seriously OMG

would be easier to get to the moon on a bungee rope attached to a pogo stick than go six miles jeez,

get a bike you'l be there in 15 minutes
Reply 9
bestie

5 miles is very far to travel. Especially if classes start early or are really late. Also paying for accomodation as well as travel that far in london is really expensive. Most people pay for one or the other.

OP I suggest you try and look for private accomodation.
Reply 10
hollyhollywood92
I'll have to make friends with all the people at Avery Hill doing whatever they do at Avery Hill. What if they're doing maths or something!!! Or Latin!!! LATIN!!!!!!!!! :poke:

It's nice to have a mix of subjects. In my uni flats we had an american year abroad guy doing philosophy, a PE student, two of us doing maths :P, and a history student.

In the surrounding flats we had everything from law to music.

Honestly, trust me, it's better that way.
hollyhollywood92
I applied for halls in the center of greenwich right near the uni, and applied AGES ago, but i've just got my accomodation offer for halls at the Avery Hill campus 5 MILES from Greenwich!!! What the hell! I applied early, so i should have at least been offered halls in Greenwich! I know I should be happy that I got into uni and have accomodation, but arrrgh! 5 MILES!!!!

Did you check how your uni allocates? Some of them wait for a certain date then do it randomly (or something along those lines). So early applicants get no preference or special treatment... Not sure who thought that up but there we go...
silverbolt
6 MILES!!!!!!!!!

seriously OMG

would be easier to get to the moon on a bungee rope attached to a pogo stick than go six miles jeez,

get a bike you'l be there in 15 minutes

But the website tells me that the bus journey from Avery Hill to Greenwich will take 40mins, how could I cycle there in 15? Plus my mum says she's not letting me cycle around London. Ugh.
I accepted the offer anyway. I tried phoning the uni and getting angry but i'm not very good at arguing and by the end i was almost apologising to the man on the end of the phone. He told me I should be grateful that I have a home..... So right now i'm paying the deposite.
hollyhollywood92
But the website tells me that the bus journey from Avery Hill to Greenwich will take 40mins, how could I cycle there in 15? Plus my mum says she's not letting me cycle around London. Ugh.

I think they got it wrong... 6km maybe 15 minutes... 6 miles alot longer, unless you've got some seriously strong legs...
But don't forget buses get stuck in traffic?
I understand your frustration. But doesn't your uni have some accommodation change service going around in October/November for people who don't like their accommodations?
Reply 16
I'm thinking they might put first years in the further away accomodation so that 3rd year students can get to classes quicker as it is more important for them to get to class ?
Reply 17
hey everyone, is anyone intrested in a room at halls on the medway campus,forte house. If anyone is please could you let me know asap as im am looking to vacate and need find someone to take it. you can contact me through the student room. thanks in advance :biggrin:
Reply 18
Sorry if this is a bit late but I'm living in Avery Hill and I have my classes in Greenwich, when I found out I was really upset about it but now it's not too bad, how are you coping?
Reply 19
hey i dont like it much i need to move out for personal reasons. would you know anyone looking for accomodation? please pass it around. its the nicest rooms on campus :smile: x

Latest