The Student Room Group

PHD in the states

Hi there, I am just looking for a bit of advice and general points.

My situation is that I'm currently studying for an Meng in Computer Science and Software Engineering in the UK, just about to start my fourth and final year. I am currently on for a 2:1, but I plan to work that little bit harder this year and try and get a first, but obviously not expecting to get this. I would like to go to America to then do a PHD once I have finished this year. And I have a few questions about this, any advice is welcomed though :smile:

I am looking at doing a Computer Science based PHD.

1) I am currently looking at universities in the state with a good reputation and California Institute of Technology (Caltech) stands out for me, what are peoples opinions on Caltech?

2) As part of the application process Caltech require GRE tests, and from my short time looking around not many other universities require GRE tests, what can people tell me about them? And are they worth doing just to apply to one university?

3) If I was offered a place I would only be able to accept if I was given funding for it, Caltech gives funding to something like 99% of graduates, is this the norm for other universities?

Any other advice you can give me would be great.

Thanks for your time :smile:
Reply 1
I am in the exact same boat with you. Waiting for answers......
1. The names thrown around for best Computer Science programs indeed include Caltech, but personally, I could never go to Caltech because it is such a bizarre campus in the suburbs. I've heard Berkeley & Stanford are going for CS too.

2. The GRE is an admissions tests. It is a CAT, meaning the computer adjusts the questions it throws out at you based on how well you do on the previous ones. It is divided into math, english and essays, and to get into a good computer science program you probably have to do really, really well on the math, because EVERYONE going into the sciences gets a fairly high score on the math and it throws off the curve.

3. Most places worth going to give funding. I have heard it said to not go to graduate school in the US if you don't get funding UNLESS the job you get with a PhD will greatly increase your earnings/ability to pay it back.

If you have any general questions about applying to US grad school or California especially, feel free to ask. I am totally procrastinating on my own applications for PhDs right now!
Reply 3
Also, Carnegie Mellon and MIT will also be good. Be aware that the best schools will have very competitive admissions. Carnegie Mellon states that they primarily accept students who have around a 4.0 GPA. I can't imagine how competitive international admissions would be.

Latest

Trending

Trending