The Student Room Group

A levels for English Lit at uni

I know English is one of the most competitive courses, but I've decided I really, really want to do it. As in, I don't think I even want to go to university if it's not to study English. Anyway, atm I'm doing English Lit, obviously, History and Politics, and an AS level in Psychology. Are these okay for English? Say I got three A's, for example, would my choices hinder me at all? I thought I wanted to do history in year 11, so based my choices on that and now i think something like drama/film studies might have been better.
No, those are definitely fine. Better than drama and/or film studies for sure.
Those choices certainly wouldnt hinder you, some of the top unis in an article said that they didnt except people who did media, or film or drama. But those are all academic so youlll be absolutely fine. In fact English courses normally like you to have a grounding in history as it means you might not have to do so much research on context. Good luck in your exams, and youve picked an awesome subject!
Reply 3
History is definitely a good choice, because you will be one step ahead when it comes to learning about context. It's also a very researchy/essay writing subject, which is similar to English. Definitely better than Media or Film, not least because History is still seen as a more 'traditional' academic subject. If it makes you feel better, I have an MA in English but I did English Lit, Psychology and Biology to A Level and Chemistry at AS - talk about hedging your bets!
Reply 4
I did English Lang, History and Lit and got unconditional offers from Newcastle/Birmingham/Manchester/Liverpool.
Miss Blue Sky
Those choices certainly wouldnt hinder you, some of the top unis in an article said that they didnt except people who did media, or film or drama. But those are all academic so youlll be absolutely fine. In fact English courses normally like you to have a grounding in history as it means you might not have to do so much research on context. Good luck in your exams, and youve picked an awesome subject!

What universities have you heard of that 'don't accept' Film and Media?! :s-smilie:

Also, why has a thread from February been dragged up? :confused:
*pitseleh*
What universities have you heard of that 'don't accept' Film and Media?! :s-smilie:

Also, why has a thread from February been dragged up? :confused:

Well I read a report that higher univeristies are more likely to take a candidate with a slightly worse mark in academic subject than if it was film or media, specifically the unis mentioned were obviously Oxbridge, and I think Durham, Warwick.
Miss Blue Sky
Well I read a report that higher univeristies are more likely to take a candidate with a slightly worse mark in academic subject than if it was film or media, specifically the unis mentioned were obviously Oxbridge, and I think Durham, Warwick.

Preferring traditional subjects to non-traditional ones =/= non-acceptance of certain A-levels. To my knowledge, the only A-levels that categorically aren't accepted by some universities are Critical Thinking and General Studies.

Sorry to nit-pick, but I think you need to be careful about what you're implying - since Film and Media most certainly are accepted at all of those universities you just mentioned (I happen to know because I applied to them all [Oxford, not Cambridge] with a Film A-level in tow, and had offers from both Oxford and Durham).
*pitseleh*
Preferring traditional subjects to non-traditional ones =/= non-acceptance of certain A-levels. To my knowledge, the only A-levels that categorically aren't accepted by some universities are Critical Thinking and General Studies.

Sorry to nit-pick, but I think you need to be careful about what you're implying - since Film and Media most certainly are accepted at all of those universities you just mentioned (I happen to know because I applied to them all [Oxford, not Cambridge] with a Film A-level in tow, and had offers from both Oxford and Durham).

I didnt mean to infer anything. I was just trying to help but I can only repeat what I have read. An article that had interviews with staff from the Unis I mentioned, I can only repeat their sentiment. Which was that with the lack of places at uni now, they were having to choose somehow and this was how. I appreciate though at the time results are coming out theres a huge trend to write scaremongering articles on how so many students arent going to get a place. But as I say I am only repeating what I have read and therefore can only infer what the article did.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm doing English Lit (AS grade A), Biology (AS grade B), and Math (AS grade B)
I also have a B in English Lang and C in Chemistry.

...these aren't helping me are they.
...well I couldn't take history! It was an immediate clash to lit!

Latest

Trending

Trending