The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Philosophy+Economics vs. PPE?

I'm applying for Philosophy+Economics at both LSE and UCL after finalising my uni choices, but I'm applying for PPE at Oxford, Manchester and Warwick too.

I've heard that the London uni admissions people(especially at LSE) reject applications when they can tell the candidate is applying for PPE too? Since I have to put some stuff about politics in my personal statment I'm getting really worried, because obviously politics isn't included in the courses in London.

So basically I'm asking whether I'm at a disadvantage if i write about politics in my statement as well as economics and philosophy when applying to LSE and UCL?

Would really appreciate some help to clear this up for me + stop me stressing out :smile:
Reply 1
No, they don't.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Politics and Economics are related anyway, and we can't escape that.

I doubt you will be at a disadvantage, but keep it linked. I think it would depend on how you worded your personal statement, because you could actually probably incorporate all three subjects and make it sound like you wanted to do a pure Economics degree, or on the other hand you could make it so that you were leaning more towards Politics than anything else. So just be careful with what you do.

Just remember, the more things you talk about, in general, with a capped word limit, the less you will be able to talk about each thing.
Reply 3
London Unis dont do that i got into LSE with a very PPE statement
Reply 4
They don't do that, I know loads of people who applied for PPE and straight Government (politics) at LSE. The admissions tutors recognise that many high calibre applicants will also be trying for Oxbridge; to automatically reject them on that basis is counter-productive.

Latest

Trending

Trending