The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It is possible at Sheffield i think, albeit in an unorthodoxed fashion. They offer 120 credits first year, it is possible to do 5 History modules totalling 100 credits (although you dont have to do all 5) and then make the rest of them up using other subjects. Therefore allowing you to pick some modules from say archeology and prehistory?

Just a suggestion if no other alternatives come up...
Reply 2
um, surely most places you could do the modern history (v100) course and use your electives - usually 2 modules out of 6 - to study ancient history. this gives you a lot more choice of where to go.
Reply 3
k_lash
I am looking to do both ancient and 'modern' history, but don't want to a straight ancient history degree, or archeology or anything like that.

The only ones I know of so far are Oxbridge, Durham and Manchester that offer this. Could anyone suggest any more? Lots of places offer medieval - modern, but I've found few that include ancient history in the v100 history course.

Many thanks for any help.

St Andrews Single Honours History allows you to choose modules from Ancient, Med, Mod and Scottish - more details here:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/academic/history/history/histdegr.html
Reply 4
Many thanks. I'll look into both Sheffield and St. Andrews.

Pheebs - Of course, in the case of St. Andrews this is clearly an option. However, an example of somewhere where it isn't possible is Warwick, where, despite having a classics department, I was told that I would be unable to combine aspects of both if I was on the v100 history course. If the ancient history parts of universities were part of the history department instead of the classics department things might be more simple. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Reply 5
not sure about the medeval element, buti know ucl do ancient and modern
Reply 6
ucl do all three :smile:
Reply 7
Yeah. UCL would be good, though I really don't want to stay in London. A shame I have to not include one of the best unis in the country because I live near it..
Edinburgh does!!! :biggrin: Like you I wanted my history course to incorporate ancient, medieval AND modern options...that's why I picked Eds in the end. The course is fantastic - so many modules, all kinds of periods plus you get to do optional subjects - and university is in a breath-takingly gorgeous location! :smile:

Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly certain that York also has a very broad history course. From the impression I got on the open day one can study modules from the ancient world (Romans, Goths etc) onwards to modern day. But maybe you'd have to check up on that...
Reply 9
University of Kent offers some really good variety in its history courses, might be worth a look.
Yeh Durham has a superb range
York certainyl does.
SOAS courses cover all periods of history although obviously not european.
Reply 13
I did my undegrad in History at St Andrews (went to do Modern, and 'discovered' medieval, so switched to V100) - the nice thing about St A (and Scottish degrees) is the flexibility. You can try loads of different stuff. I can recommend the course and the uni 110%. I could include courses from the Ancient, Medieval, Modern and Scottish history departments, and mix and match as much as I liked. It made for the perfect degree.

I did my postgrad in Medieval Studies at York - also a fabulous place and good uni, though not as good as St Andrews in my humble opinion (library not so good).
Reply 14
Hey, Canterbury ChristChurch does, im here right now and we do about 9 modules in the first year, 3 are modern, 3 are medieval and the remaining 3 are early modern.
We also do a course in archaelogy just after christmas as part of our first year where we get experts from the archaeological trust coming in..could be worth a look right?
http://www.canterbury.ac.uk/courses/prospectus/undergraduate/c.asp?courseUrl=history
As for the uni and the place, its great, the thing with Canterbury is youre surrounded by History.. from the Cathedral where you can actually handle and use 10th century manuscripts and documents in the archives to Roman wells and baths in different locations all over the city like under shops, its amazing..hope this helps
nottingham :smile: medieval and modern... and im sure you can take subsids in ancient!
Nottingham also does Ancient History and History together if you are interested in that...they want BBB or ABC
You could always look into doing a joint honours ancient and modern history course. Most universities who have a strong history department should offer this type of course.

Latest

Trending

Trending