The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

BA Economics @ Durham?
teleboobies
BA Economics @ Durham?

Ok. It's not a target, but it gets people in and has some connections. You have to work that little bit harder than the students at targets (UCL,Warwick,Oxbridge,LSE,ICL) though.
Reply 7342
What about a Msc at Nottingham University ?

I'm currently in a business school (south west of France), and i have two opportunities :

- a Msc in Finance at Nottingham
- An "exchange" at Warwick for one semester. I won't get any degree, I only will spend one semester there.

What would be the thing for me ?
conzag123
SOOOO everyone sayss Oxbridge is a big bonus (obviously) for getting into IB... BUT does the subject choice there matter so much? i.e. could you do a history degree or a language degree or a purely scientific degree instead of maths / economics and still stand a good chance of getting into IB???

My cousin did psychology at Oxford, got a first, second best in the entire uni for that year and now does Investment Banking but she only just got in on her maths side if that's anything to go by.
Earsnot
its only oxbridge that dont like it. Ive emailed ucl, lse, warwick about this issue before and they have no problem applying to start first year again. They wont accept transfers to second year for L100/1 economics though.

But would this(goin to Durham) be better than doin a foundation year at an above average uni like Southampton? Assuming I do well at both...cuz Durham's first year is the same as the Business Finance course.
Merely out of curiosity:

Human Resource Management and Emp. relations @ LSE

Land Economy @ Cambridge?
Best for degree in order for FO- trading out of these? (UCL's is not mathematical)

Warwick:- Computer science and management science- Single honours BSc- very quantitative and its bout 70:30 CS - MS
UCL- Information technology management for business- Single honours BSc- 50 50 CS- MS but no math
Nottingham- Computer science- BSc

also how much does it matter that UCL's course is not quantitative for trading?
(edited 13 years ago)
Focus08
Merely out of curiosity:

Human Resource Management and Emp. relations @ LSE

Land Economy @ Cambridge?

First won't get you into FO. Second will.
Reply 7348
Annoying-Mouse

Why not the first one?
Vesta
Why not the first one?

Vesta
Why not the first one?

"Human Resource Management"

Cambridge entry requirements are all standard A*AA. Land economy isn't really a weak subjects. It basically Law+Economics with environmental studies, imo.
So it's not undergraduate real estate...? (it's the impression I got)
Focus08
So it's not undergraduate real estate...? (it's the impression I got)

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/landecon/index.html

Only the third year gives that impression.
Reply 7353
What about Government (i.e. politics) at LSE?
Vesta
What about Government (i.e. politics) at LSE?

It will but it will be hard because you will be competing against Economics (and economics and X) students and Accounting and Finance students.
Annoying-Mouse

A friend of mine interviewing for trading positions met people at AC's with this degree. It does happen, albeit rarely.
Annoying-Mouse

The course is in the 'Building' part of the subject tables, so that kind of makes me scratch my head and making me think it's a weird course...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-building-and-town-and-country-planning
(edited 13 years ago)
These are the target unis for the most presitigious consulting firms:

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
Bristol
UCL
KCL
Edinburgh
Warwick
St Andrews
Bath

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1403791
LutherVan
These are the target unis for the most presitigious consulting firms:

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
Bristol
UCL
KCL
Edinburgh
Warwick
St Andrews
Bath

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1403791

Are you basing this on any personal experience? Or just an article you found on another website?

Because in reality only the top 4 are proper 'targets' and make up 90% of recruiting in the UK.
They probably make up 90% but the banks still feel they might be able to find the 10% in remaining unis, particularly the next 5 unis.

Those are the unis they visit.

Latest

Trending

Trending