The Student Room Group

ENGB1 Categorizing Texts re-sitters & ENGB3 January!

Hey all,
So, I love AQA that much I'm resitting AQA ENGB1 Categorizing Texts exam in January :wink:

I got a low B, and ended up with 4 UMS from an A overall. I'm resitting as I've been told it's easier than the A2 exam, which we're also sitting in January (so we can resit in June :smile:), so it's my backup.

Hope is not lost - I am in love with the child language acquisition section of the A2 course, so hopefully I can get an A*. Long shot, yep, but any tips appreciated :smile:

I made this to see if any of the ENGB1 resitters had any tips for gaining high marks, and if the ENGB3 re-sitters or first sitters have any tips for gaining high marks :smile:

Cheers
Kins

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump! .
Original post by Kinesthetic
Hey all,
So, I love AQA that much I'm resitting AQA ENGB1 Categorizing Texts exam in January :wink:

I got a low B, and ended up with 4 UMS from an A overall. I'm resitting as I've been told it's easier than the A2 exam, which we're also sitting in January (so we can resit in June :smile:), so it's my backup.

Hope is not lost - I am in love with the child language acquisition section of the A2 course, so hopefully I can get an A*. Long shot, yep, but any tips appreciated :smile:

I made this to see if any of the ENGB1 resitters had any tips for gaining high marks, and if the ENGB3 re-sitters or first sitters have any tips for gaining high marks :smile:

Cheers
Kins

Hi,
I have no clue how this website works but i read your post and i'm practically in the same boat as you! except I was 5 marks away from an A (damn you! ha) and i'm most definitely going to flop child acquisition in June! Um, i read some sample essays and there isn't really a set way of constructing the essay. There's PAFFL (purpose, audience, form, formality & lang) and you could do a paragraph for each of them, try to shove in as many language terms as possible. I think that's what i'm going to do. But, in saying that, I did read an A grade essay which had no apparent structure but was jam packed with terminology and discussion so... Oh gawd i'm gonna fail!

Louise =]
Reply 3
Original post by LouiseLinehan
Hi,
I have no clue how this website works but i read your post and i'm practically in the same boat as you! except I was 5 marks away from an A (damn you! ha) and i'm most definitely going to flop child acquisition in June! Um, i read some sample essays and there isn't really a set way of constructing the essay. There's PAFFL (purpose, audience, form, formality & lang) and you could do a paragraph for each of them, try to shove in as many language terms as possible. I think that's what i'm going to do. But, in saying that, I did read an A grade essay which had no apparent structure but was jam packed with terminology and discussion so... Oh gawd i'm gonna fail!

Louise =]

Hey,
I have a structured approach now, well, I've been taught one.

Start by annotating the transcript
Quickly make a grid, and put the headings as the things which occur most often, e.g if there's lots of pronunciation issues (good or bad) put this as a heading and list the points you can make. Do this until you have 4 headings.

Start with context as always, and give the audience, purpose, relationship briefly and what the text is.

Move onto the first heading in the grid and pack it full with terms and stuff that is relevant.
In turn, move onto each heading. So basically, you are grouping familiar observations in a systematic way and not jumping straight into writing.

Hope this helps &good luck, mine is in Jan!!
Reply 4
is anyone taking ENGB3 exam in june?
Reply 5
I am re-sitting ENGB1 on monday and the way my teacher taught us on how to start was to look at the 5 W's and the 1 H:

Who - who is the text aimed at? young people? old people? certain age's?
What - what is the texts topic? about holidays? about food?
Where - where is the text set about? its location (normally only good for books etc..)
When - when is the text set? past? present? future?
Why - Why has the text been written? to inform? persuade?
How - how has the text been addressed? written? spoken?

Once you have answered all of them for the texts you can then go on answer GRASP for the texts:

Genre - is it a letter, leaflet, booklet? etc..
Register - how formal is the text? does it use RP? is there signs of non standard english?
Audience - who is the text aimed at? once you know this you will be able to help link it to other texts aimed at similar audiances and compare
Style - how is the text presented? speech? written? etc..
Purpose - to inform? to entertain?

Once you have all of the information from this you can then see which ones are linked by their certain points so its easier to make points on them, so you can go through systematically listing say all the pragmatical points for texts A and D and then all the points for E and C, so you are not losing marks from AO2 or 3 i think it is.

Hope this helped, if you want to ask anything else just ask
Reply 6
hey, I'm resitting on Monday too and I'm genuinely scared! My whole class were completely unprepared for the last exam due to being taught insufficient things. Since then, I've had a few lessons with another teacher who said that although you do have to put the texts into categories, the main marks are gained when you find the differences in each text and explain WHY. other than this, I'm completely clueless and would appreciate some help from any of you in the same position!
Reply 7
Hi, i am also resitting ENGB1 on monday... I got a C overall last year, but only because my coursework was a really strong A + my exam really let me down. I'm getting worried about the resit because originally i thought i had done really well and all my mock marks in college were B/A's, so i obviously went really wrong somewhere along the line!

In the categorizing texts section, I did 3 groupings with 6 diff texts + talked lots about some of the relevent linguistic methods: grammar, graphology, pragmatics, phonology, lexis, semantics + discourse + linked all my points to context, also using Purpose, audience, form. I've read the mark scheme and thats not helped much. Can anyone help me as to how is best to structure my answer- say i grouped 3 texts as they are both have the audience aimed at children... how should i then structure my response? Also does anyone know the minimum requirement of groupings + number of different texts you need to use, as im starting to think i may have used too little? I'm aiming for a B overall at least, so i'd really appreciate the help!
Thank Youuuuuu :-)
Reply 8
Hey everyone, im resitting on monday aswel [got a c last year and was hoping to budge it up] ... ive forgotten so much and cant remember how to structure the anwsers, when people say u need to talk about audience, context and purpose should u ALWAYS talk about them with EVERY text u use? say mention it at the start? .. then go into the linguistic features blah blah... then comment on them at the end and link it to another text?

Also :/... is it true what the person said above? that the main marks are gained when you find the differences?

FML im gnna fail .. help pwease?
Reply 9
Original post by beckybecky
Hi, i am also resitting ENGB1 on monday... I got a C overall last year, but only because my coursework was a really strong A + my exam really let me down. I'm getting worried about the resit because originally i thought i had done really well and all my mock marks in college were B/A's, so i obviously went really wrong somewhere along the line!

In the categorizing texts section, I did 3 groupings with 6 diff texts + talked lots about some of the relevent linguistic methods: grammar, graphology, pragmatics, phonology, lexis, semantics + discourse + linked all my points to context, also using Purpose, audience, form. I've read the mark scheme and thats not helped much. Can anyone help me as to how is best to structure my answer- say i grouped 3 texts as they are both have the audience aimed at children... how should i then structure my response? Also does anyone know the minimum requirement of groupings + number of different texts you need to use, as im starting to think i may have used too little? I'm aiming for a B overall at least, so i'd really appreciate the help!
Thank Youuuuuu :-)

I'm also aiming for a B, yet managed somehow to get a D in the exam. Coursework was a high B, and apparently I did quite well in the first half of the exam, yet the grouping texts completely failed Dx
Gahhh~
Reply 10
Original post by khanaggge

Hey everyone, im resitting on monday aswel [got a c last year and was hoping to budge it up] ... ive forgotten so much and cant remember how to structure the anwsers, when people say u need to talk about audience, context and purpose should u ALWAYS talk about them with EVERY text u use? say mention it at the start? .. then go into the linguistic features blah blah... then comment on them at the end and link it to another text?

Also :/... is it true what the person said above? that the main marks are gained when you find the differences?

FML im gnna fail .. help pwease?

yes you need to talk about audience, genre and purpose with each text u mention, I would put it at the begining of each group, and then link back to them when referring to the linguistic features which will give you contextual marks :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by liamwood1

Original post by liamwood1
I am re-sitting ENGB1 on monday and the way my teacher taught us on how to start was to look at the 5 W's and the 1 H:

Who - who is the text aimed at? young people? old people? certain age's?
What - what is the texts topic? about holidays? about food?
Where - where is the text set about? its location (normally only good for books etc..)
When - when is the text set? past? present? future?
Why - Why has the text been written? to inform? persuade?
How - how has the text been addressed? written? spoken?

Once you have answered all of them for the texts you can then go on answer GRASP for the texts:

Genre - is it a letter, leaflet, booklet? etc..
Register - how formal is the text? does it use RP? is there signs of non standard english?
Audience - who is the text aimed at? once you know this you will be able to help link it to other texts aimed at similar audiances and compare
Style - how is the text presented? speech? written? etc..
Purpose - to inform? to entertain?

Once you have all of the information from this you can then see which ones are linked by their certain points so its easier to make points on them, so you can go through systematically listing say all the pragmatical points for texts A and D and then all the points for E and C, so you are not losing marks from AO2 or 3 i think it is.

Hope this helped, if you want to ask anything else just ask

so just say you group together text A and B grammatically, would you mention other features aswell? like colloquial language (lexis) or would you just stick to grammar for that particular group?
Original post by Me xx
so just say you group together text A and B grammatically, would you mention other features aswell? like colloquial language (lexis) or would you just stick to grammar for that particular group?

There's a lot you can say about grammar, such as word classes and sub-divisions, morphology, sentence type, sentence complexity, verb features. What I was told Is to stick to one of those points and expand. I don't think you should be grouping because of grammar as it's not specific enough. In the mark scheme it is looking for adventurous and interesting groupings, so just saying Grammar won't get you as many marks as say sentence complexity and how this has an effect. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Me xx
yes you need to talk about audience, genre and purpose with each text u mention, I would put it at the begining of each group, and then link back to them when referring to the linguistic features which will give you contextual marks :smile:

Thank u :biggrin:, another question - for contextual marks in the 2nd question [language and gender] does reffering to studies gain these marks? or are they just 'useful' to back up your points :/ ?
Reply 14
Thank u :biggrin:, another question - for contextual marks in the 2nd question [language and gender] does reffering to studies gain these marks? or are they just 'useful' to back up your points :/ ?

This is a different assessment objective.
You are given up to 32 for context, which is how the text works in real life etc.

Then a further up to 16 for teminology being accurate and relevant, choosing quotes that support your points and using the theories.

-Kins.
Reply 15
This is a different assessment objective.
You are given up to 32 for context, which is how the text works in real life etc.

Then a further up to 16 for teminology being accurate and relevant, choosing quotes that support your points and using the theories.

-Kins.

Hey, thanks for the reply again. About crappy context, i always find after writing my comments on it, that there really weak like: 'Text A uses simple sentances for eg... text B on the other hand employs many complex sentances eg... [now for the contextual
comment]...this is because text A is a leaflet and therefore to attract readers it will have to use quick and effective techniques to achieve its purpose of persuading, also,
there is probally not enough space to write lengthy sentances on the leaflet. Text B
however, is a story and so it is assumed they have taken the time and effort to read the book, therefore lengthy sentances to entertain are employed.

Dyu think this will do as a good contextual comment?
Thanks for the help again, well appreciated.
Reply 16
Hey, thanks for the reply again. About crappy context, i always find after writing my comments on it, that there really weak like: 'Text A uses simple sentances for eg... text B on the other hand employs many complex sentances eg... [now for the contextual
comment]...this is because text A is a leaflet and therefore to attract readers it will have to use quick and effective techniques to achieve its purpose of persuading, also,
there is probally not enough space to write lengthy sentances on the leaflet. Text B
however, is a story and so it is assumed they have taken the time and effort to read the book, therefore lengthy sentances to entertain are employed.

Dyu think this will do as a good contextual comment?
Thanks for the help again, well appreciated.

There isn't anything wrong with that comment. You need to make sure though that after you've said that, you put something like "That said, because the purpose is different, the use of sentences is bound to vary." - you need to know about purpose & audience :smile:
Reply 17
There isn't anything wrong with that comment. You need to make sure though that after you've said that, you put something like "That said, because the purpose is different, the use of sentences is bound to vary." - you need to know about purpose & audience :smile:

Understood :borat:
Basically everytime i attempt a past paper i fail at writing it in an hour - when it comes to the grouping at the very beginning i ALWAYS muck up - any tips? how can you read the texts in real detail in 10 minutes - i find it soo hard ha! i remember being really confident last year and finished in time, now i'm a nervous wreck ha! i'm so sick of it - i need 5 more marks for an overall A and i highly doubt i'll get them! *sigh* :frown:
Ohh also something my teacher told me - don't bother writing an intro/conclusion because you don't get marked for it.. I don't know if that's 100 percent right but she always seems to know what she's talking about - plus i'm so awful with timing that should probably help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending